Floor Joists VS. Floor Trusses

DeveloSpec

I can't just select the floor joists that were built automatically and change them to a web truss?

There is a drop down list with other types (I joist, engineered lumber, LVL, glulam, c-channel, etc)

makes one wonder why they did not include a space joist in the above list (Idaho ?) - finding the space joist to draw can be a trick - i believe it is with roof trusses - I keep mine as a tool bar item  rather than have to look for it - no problem drawing them in - actually is usually quicker than editing what CA does automatically.

Floor-ceiling truss and roof truss are a different tool and they are there, but its not automatic. You have to draw the truss in the plan so it can

replace the framing you set up. If you want a 16" floor truss, you have to set up that depth in the plan for the floor system. Then draw the

truss in the plan and multiple copy from there.

Correct, floor /ceiling truss, I stand corrected.

Was taking a break from a project and looking through the forum and saw the question and since there were only comments with no real directions, I thought I would start the man down the path to a point that he could pic up and continue on.

As pointed out by drawzilla,you will have to determine the depth of the joist as required and also set the framing distance and then draw in the first truss and select multiple copy and drag across the plan as needed to complete the floor system.

Have a great day,Ken B)

• 2 years later...

I agree that web floor trusses should be available in the drop down menu just like any other kind of joist.

It would also be great if you could upload the manufacturers specs (widths, spans etc) for their floor trusses/joist and the framing generated from those specs. I am not sure if you can input the spec manually but it would be a job I would like to avoid. 

I just went through this, and you still must draw this style truss manually.

I settled on this method:  after setting platform structure defaults, use auto

framing so you get the rim and sill, but make joist spacing something like 48" o.c. 

to make deleting the joists easier.  Group select and delete, draw in desired truss

and multi copy at correct spacing,

post-138-0-17122200-1472959424_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2016 at 11:27 PM, JJohnson said:

framing so you get the rim and sill, but make joist spacing something like 48" o.c. 

to make deleting the joists easier.  Group select and delete, draw in desired truss

You could just turn off framing floor joist layer so they don't clutter the plan since the sill, rim and truss are separate layers. No need to delete the joists.

On 9/3/2016 at 8:27 PM, JJohnson said:

Same as Roof Trusses , placing Floor Trusses Should auto delete (replace) any standard joist type within the specified Span setting , if you multiple copy the Truss from one end to the other all standard joists should disappear.

I have no idea why CA can't auto frame a Roof or Floor truss if the Defaults are set up,  as easily as it does normal Framing though.

M.