Stair Framing Or Not

Dennis_Gavin

Perry - so you are saying it should be there? There is no lower landing but a slab. Maybe my stairs are not connected properly to the deck? I had to make a room enclosure to get the

stairs flared like they are. Have a look. I cannot find a dbx anywhere for stair specs regarding framing.

Mathes.zip

Perry - so you are saying it should be there? There is no lower landing but a slab. Maybe my stairs are not connected properly to the deck? I had to make a room enclosure to get the

stairs flared like they are. Have a look. I cannot find a dbx anywhere for stair specs regarding framing.

Weird stuff,  go to STYLE<CLOSED STRINGER,  different looking stringers on each side,  to to STYLE<SINGLE STRINGER and all is well.

I played with it a little more and  I think I got what you wanted.

post-50-0-94322100-1431361255_thumb.png

Scott - did you do anything else? I can get one stringer but not the 3 you have. Have checked closed stringer with and without stringer at wall but nothing shows.

Perry - that was my next comment!

I opened your plan,  did full overview, I surface deleted the treads and I did not see a stringer.  I reopened your plan did full overview and opened stair dvx and selected NO RISER,  I now had stringers,  inconsistent behavior.

OK, maybe I misunderstood you Scott. I unchecked all the stringer tabs and got 3 stringers

If I have open risers. BUT I do not want open risers and when I uncheck that I lose the stingers.

At least the ones not in the immediate camera view. IF I delete the riser there is not visible stinger in the middle or on the opposite side. Also look at what I get when I rotate the camera with open risers .. THe stingers are not continuous.

post-132-0-03505600-1431364643_thumb.jpg

Chief does not generate the 3D data for the stringers unless the stair is marked as Open Risers.  When the risers are closed, you normally can't see the stringers.  The program has worked this way since the very beginning.

post-26-0-28312700-1431366983_thumb.jpg

I hadn't either , but I usually leave Risers off even though I use them onsite as CA insists on making the riser the same material as the Stringers , not sure why Stringers are considered Risers or Trim though in the Material DBX though.

There is definitely some weirdness going on in that plan , wondering if the Stringers are being interfered with by the invisible walls?

There are some other things related to this that hopefully will be fixed in X8:

1.  Multiple Stringers with spacing

2.  Separate materials for Stringers vs Risers (we have Risers vs Treads in X7)

3.  3D Stringers with Closed Risers - we already see the Exterior Stringer Face and Closed Stringers.

4.  Optional Soffit below Closed Risers (material selection could do this)

5.  Closed Below should result in actual Walls, not just a 3D Surface.

Most customers today use Composite decking. For stairs its required to have stringers framed 12" on center. It would be a good idea to do overhaul on the whole stair including railings, stringers and stringer framing (stair planking on and off), etc.