Does Ca Allow For Master Plan Architecture?

adamantdesign

I would like to use CA instead of AutoCAD for my production architecture clients because I feel CA catches more and gives better feedback on design, but I'm not sure how one would set up building options or multiple elevations in CA though. Would I have to create a plan with each building option and elevation drawn out and then using viewports display the options and elevations? Does anyone else use CA for production architecture, not just customs?

I have used CA for my 7:30-4:30 job for the past 4 years. The builder I work for is a small (40-50 homes a year) production builder. We sell mostly (95%) off our rack models, mainly about 6 plans with various options. I have templates for each model I grab and make a copy of for the next house. Each of the plans has around 4-8 elevations so it takes awhile to create these templates. The template is a starting point with the correct elevation.

If I haven't drawn a specific model with a left hand orientation I open up the right hand orientation and save a copy and reverse everything, save it then copy it to change to the new specific lot plan. I don't have time to work on all of the plan templates so I do it on a as needed basis.

It's a good starting point. Then if there isn't too many lot / customer specific changes I can grab a template and have a complete house plan in 1/2 day or so.

On the side I still have my custom business where I provide custom plans for homes usually in the 3,000-5,000 sq. ft. range and CA works great for that as well

I have used CA for my 7:30-4:30 job for the past 4 years. The builder I work for is a small (40-50 homes a year) production builder. We sell mostly (95%) off our rack models, mainly about 6 plans with various options. I have templates for each model I grab and make a copy of for the next house. Each of the plans has around 4-8 elevations so it takes awhile to create these templates. The template is a starting point with the correct elevation.

This method works quite well. We did a small semi-custom subdivision 72 homes. I had 6 'stock' plans that buyers could modify within the same footprint (with some slight exceptions). I set up each plan as a template that even included the Terrain perimeter of a standard 80' x 125' lot and set-back lines so that the site plan was nearly complete. As they were sold, I worked with each Buyer to make it their own. It was easy and only limited by my patience!

So it seems like it's doable just takes a bit more patience and planning than regular. How did you display the building options and separate elevations (A, B, C, etc.) on the plans? Did you draw out each option in the plan and have a separate plan file for each completed option? Or did you have a separate option or elevation page that just showed the affected area you would go to then copy and paste it into the architecture?

We sell predesigned plans to some 50+ builders.  We did 350+ homes last year, probably hit 500 this year, in addition to a growing number of multis.  My tips:

Saveas is your friend - but make sure you keep track of your plans, plan names, etc.  And/but....

Don't be afraid to throw out the garbage now and then.  Remember that you have your archives if you really do have to go dumpster diving.  Keeping every what-if you ever came up with will kill you.

Don't move the house!  Ever.  Then....

Master the use of Edit Area and the various ways you can Copy and Paste/Hold-Position plan to plan.  You can do a phenomenal amount of mixing and matching plan to plan with these tools.

Edit - one more tip:

Be accurate with your original.  Set your grid snap to a big number first (like 24", 12" - for your main walls), then maybe 1/2" at smallest and work with your grid snaps on.  As you do more and more variations a little bit of wonkiness will come back to bite you, hard.  

So it seems like it's doable just takes a bit more patience and planning than regular. How did you display the building options and separate elevations (A, B, C, etc.) on the plans? Did you draw out each option in the plan and have a separate plan file for each completed option? Or did you have a separate option or elevation page that just showed the affected area you would go to then copy and paste it into the architecture?

I don't display options.  I do know what you mean some national builders do that i.e..optional great room, optional 3 car garage, optional bonus room etc..

If sales sells a model "B" with elevation 4 I know I already have the model "B" and hopefully I have an elevation 4.  I then open it up, make a copy to the specific lot and reverse it if needed.  Then I go through the sales exhibit and change everything to that customer / lot.  If you just look at one of my plans you couldn't tell there are numerous options or elevations.

My biggest problem when I started working for this builder was copying similar plans from houses we already sold.  Inevitably there was a holdover option from the original plan that wasn't sold to the new customer thereby creating a problem.  After a few burns I only copy templates with our standard specs already incorporated so when I get the sales exhibit I add their options and take out their credits.

With CA fairly stable now this is possible.  Back in say versions 4-9 if you had templates built up and they came out with a new version and you upgraded you couldn't bring forward a plan without it going crazy.  Especially if you reversed it.  Now though, I haven't had a problem although I will still redraw all templates every 3-4 versions.