Building Data

builtright3

I would like to put my building data in spread sheet form on the plan. Is there any way to do this within CA and then have it also calculate the numbers I need for the city like total building area, lot coverage percentage....? I may have to learn more about macros to do this?

I think this is what Joe was working on?

The attached is what I typically include in my building data:

post-2478-0-03250500-1431202551_thumb.png

Joey, All of your areas are possible just using macros assigned to default room labels and a reference macro assigned to the property line. All the calculations can be done within the display macro(s) and the whole thing put in a single text box. I have the text box in a CAD Detail that I send to Layout.

Here's an example of what I'm doing - it's all extracted directly from the model using macros.

post-47-0-64693700-1431214960_thumb.jpg

Joe I have to complement you I envy your ability doing macro's I really think it is great, just the little I learned from you and some of the others has helped me a real lot and I am no where's near to where you are or I would like to be

Joey, All of your areas are possible just using macros assigned to default room labels and a reference macro assigned to the property line. All the calculations can be done within the display macro(s) and the whole thing put in a single text box. I have the text box in a CAD Detail that I send to Layout.

Here's an example of what I'm doing - it's all extracted directly from the model using macros.

How do you do the macro for the property square feet?

Also can you create a macro to calculate square foot from a poly line solid? In other words; I don't like the way Chief calculates square feet so I outline the area I want to calculate with a poly line and I have a layer call "Square Feet" to put it on. So I would like to assign a macro for that square footage off the closed polyline I create.

Does that make sense? I'm not to good with words to explain things. 

The other reason I do this is because I have better control over rooms that are extended so I don't have to use a room divider line to get my calculation and also area demoed and existing area remolded. I don't generally need individual room square feet. I put that in the room label for light and vent calculations. Those don't need to be perfect.

How do you do the macro for the property square feet?

I have 2 referenced macros in a text box with arrow.  It is attached to the Property Line.  Actually, these 2 macros are used for all Site areas including Setbacks, Driveways, Sidewalks, etc.  They use the Ruby attribute area to get the correct areas of all the objects.  The first macro gets the areas and adds them to Ruby Global Variables.  The second macro formats the data and display it in the text box.

Also can you create a macro to calculate square foot from a poly line solid? In other words; I don't like the way Chief calculates square feet so

Chief provides the Ruby attribute for area so no calculation is needed

I outline the area I want to calculate with a poly line and I have a layer call "Square Feet" to put it on. So I would like to assign a macro for that square footage off the closed polyline I create.

Should work perfectly.  Just use the Ruby attribute area in your macro.  Normally I convert any Plane Polylines to PSolids because then the arrow doesn't need to be connected to the line, just to a spot within the PSolid.  Having them on a separate Layer is not really necessary but some of them would need to be a 100% transparent material so they wouldn't show in 3D Views.

Does that make sense? I'm not to good with words to explain things.

Yes, that's pretty much how I do it

The other reason I do this is because I have better control over rooms that are extended so I don't have to use a room divider line to get my calculation and also area demoed and existing area remolded. I don't generally need individual room square feet. I put that in the room label for light and vent calculations. Those don't need to be perfect.

The example I show is admittedly more complex than most would need.  However, I use a similar macro for Room Labels to accumulate the Room Areas - including the Floor Living Areas, Garage Areas, etc.  It uses the Ruby Attribute standard_areaThe macro doesn't display anything in the Label but it puts the values into Ruby Global Variables that are retrieved by another macro to do calculations and display the results.

If you who are not comfortable setting this up yourself - I can provide the setup for a reasonable fee.  Once it's done and in your Profile Plan it's pretty much automatic. 

Joe,

I think what I will do this week is build what I want on one of my floor plans as far has how the data is structured. In other words I will build the poly line areas and everything else I need with my list of data and maybe you can connect the dots with the macro's when I'm done and send the plan file back to me. I would be more than happy to pay you for your time.

What do you think?

Joe,

I think what I will do this week is build what I want on one of my floor plans as far has how the data is structured. In other words I will build the poly line areas and everything else I need with my list of data and maybe you can connect the dots with the macro's when I'm done and send the plan file back to me. I would be more than happy to pay you for your time.

What do you think?

Sounds good.  Once I get your plan I can give you a price.  Depending on the way your plan is setup, it could be a little more complicated than what I currently do - but maybe less.  I don't do much remodel work so that's a little more but other parts of what you do may be less.  I don't want to give a blanket price for this until I've looked at your plan.

Sounds good.  Once I get your plan I can give you a price.  Depending on the way your plan is setup, it could be a little more complicated than what I currently do - but maybe less.  I don't do much remodel work so that's a little more but other parts of what you do may be less.  I don't want to give a blanket price for this until I've looked at your plan.

Joe with the correct macro's I would be interested in purchasing once I see if they would work for me and there is a time savings which I have seen with your macro's, very interested

Joe I have to complement you I envy your ability doing macro's I really think it is great, just the little I learned from you and some of the others has helped me a real lot and I am no where's near to where you are or I would like to be

What Ray said!

Joe, I'll be watching the video, too. Thanks, Joey, for posing the thread.

Sent you a private message Joe. Hopefully I did it right. let me know if not.