Drawing An As-Built From

usingchief

Larry,

Most of this is automatic if you have it all set up in your Default Template or (as Scott uses - SAM).  Elevation and Section Cameras are already in place, auto Roof Planes, automatic Framing and Foundations, are ON, Schedules are in CAD Detail Windows and default Property Boundary, Setbacks and Terrain are already in the Plan.

I start with a complete Project File with almost everything already sent to Layout.  I essentially start with a 3 story house so I have a Site Plan, Foundation plan, 3 Floor Plans, a Roof Plan, 4 Elevations & 2 Sections plus Floor and Roof Framing Plans already in the Layout.  That means that as I work on the Plan, all the Elevations, Sections, Schedules, etc are being done for me.  Sometimes I need to move a Camera or add another Section but this is a big time saver. 

I haven't figured out how to get Interior Elevations and Wall Sections to be automatic and I still have to do the dimensioning and adjust the position of things in the Schedules for numbering purposes.  There are a lot of other details to attend to but the basics are auto-magic.

Yeah I'm set up pretty close to how you've described it, I think it's just a semantic thing between As-built plans and Proposed plans. My as-builts rend to be pretty bare bones, and can't remember when I ever included a section in my as-builts. But different strokes and very much appreciate all the comments and feedback.

I haven't figured out how to get Interior Elevations and Wall Sections to be automatic and I still have to do the dimensioning and adjust the position of things in the Schedules for numbering purposes.  There are a lot of other details to attend to but the basics are auto-magic.

Joe, I use wall camera's in my template plan, off to the side, and just bring them in when needed. I hated having to create each one every time. Why can't we copy them?

Joe, I use wall camera's in my template plan, off to the side, and just bring them in when needed. I hated having to create each one every time. Why can't we copy them?

I don't know but I usually just use the Room Edit Toolbar Icon to create the Wall Elevations.  Then I almost immediately rename them to include the Room Name so that I can get them automatically Labeled.

I hear you Joe, That tool gives me more camera's then I need most of the time. Of course they are easy to erase. For me it would be easier to copy camera's b/c of all the setup needed and there is no default for wall camera's.

Perry,

I usually delete the extra Wall Elevations but I also have to edit the Camera Callout anyway.

I have a CAD Mask stored that I can copy to the Wall Elevation, resize it to fit and there's a couple of Text Blocks included to show the %view_name% and the scale.  This makes it much easier to have Interior Elevations Labeled and Positioned correctly in Layout.

It would be cool if I could just select a set of Camera Views in the Project Browser and send them all to a Layout Page at one time (separate Layout Boxes of course). 

Maybe it would be a good idea to invest into Bluetooth attachment and get all that done when you do the takeoff, this way all doors and windows already be placed .

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01846/ 

Check out some youtube videos on that. 

I decided to give this method a try.  Had previously downloaded Room Planner on the iPad, and just purchased the Leica Disto distance meter so ready to put this to work on my next as-built drawing.    

Scott, no real way to compare our methods. My as-builts only include the bare minimums that will get me to the proposed plan sets. I've never really timed my method but it's not nearly as complex as yours. Six sections? More power to you. Never had a need for six sections on any remodel I've ever done.

Don't do floor/roof framing and seldom include a roof plan for the as-built either. Never found a need. Those all go in to the proposed plan set.

I also don't include the site plan and consider that part of the working drawings. Don't include any road or sidewalks either unless it helps with initial concepts.

Not much help.

Larry,

I keep my preliminary drawings to site plan, demo plan, floor plan, exterior elevations and roof plan.

I like to include the site plan for a few reasons:

1) I'm there measuring so why not?

2) I want to draw it why I still have all the visual thoughts in my head

3) I can email or take to planning for their preliminary over the counter approval of the concept and setback requirements.

4) Easy to show the customer and explain why or why not they can or cant do something

5) Easy property lines you can draw in just a few minutes and the more complicated ones you can just cut and past off the parcel map right on the drawing and outline it and then worry about the accuracy later for your submittal drawings. The garage is usually and important item to me because of clearances that are require (20' clear backup, 26' radius.....). And don't forget about the easements like electrical lines. Most houses don't have that but some do. This research I do so I'm not wasting my time and more importantly the customers money.

Measure a job and take lots of pictures takes me on the average 1 1/2 hours and I go back to my office and I have the as built complete by the end of my 8 hr. day. Then I either work late or start my alterations and additions the next day.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone comment on Room planner?

There don't seem to be any videos available other than CA's propaganda/promotional stuff that gives you the glossy bits.

But I want to see or hear from an impartial user who has used it to model a whole house.

I have already wasted too much money on other apps which are really not that great, the worst being Orthograpth, Redstick is pretty good though!

I use an "ECHO" pen that records everything including any voices and talking that goes on while measuring. Everything you draw goes to your computer along with the voice recording. All you need to do is point your curser to any part of your drawing and the exact voice comments of exactly that timeline will play for you. I also record every minute of the consult, you'll be surprised how many times that saved my a**, when someone says "They didn't say that". They are at Livescribe.com

Perry,

Where can I get this ECHO pen? Are there any stores that have it in stock or do I have to order it on line?

There don't seem to be any videos available other than CA's propaganda/promotional stuff that gives you the glossy bits.

But I want to see or hear from an impartial user who has used it to model a whole house.

I have already wasted too much money on other apps which are really not that great, the worst being Orthograpth, Redstick is pretty good though!

I think there are a few people here using it but you may get more answers over on Room Planner"s forum

https://roomtalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/forum/3-q-a/

Why do so many people use the term "as built" to describe drawings of an existing space.These are actually "measured drawings" drawings that establish the existing dimensions of the building such as room width and length,ceiling height, floor levels, window and door details and whatever level of detail is required to set the database from which new architectural details and drawings will be established. Drawings labeled as "as builts" are set after a project is completed as the following AIA definition shows.

AIA definition:

A revised set of drawings submitted by a contractor upon completion of a project or a particular job. They reflect all changes made in the specifications and working drawings during the construction process, and show the exact dimensions, geometry, and location of all elements of the work completed under the contract. Also called record drawings or just as-builts.

Since stamped and approved construction drawings are legal documents it is very important that they be correctly labeled.

Would like to know your thoughts on this.

Many thanks

Ed Spena

Here's a video from Stephen Gross of Valley Home Improvement:

When can we expect the Android release?

Jon 

Room Planner 4.0 is in beta now (it supports iOS & Android).  We are hoping it will be available near the end of June/first half of July.  Here's the complete feature listing,

New 4.0 Feature List:

-Android version (see sys. reqmts below)

-Total Square Footage Calculation; turn off living area for uninhabited rooms (like garage and utility spaces)

-Clone Tool; copy and paste objects

-Adjustable Wall Widths; set wall widths for individual walls

-Add-On Catalogs; purchase Library Content to expand your catalog

-Improved Sojourn® “Walk Thru Model” experience

-Standalone Dimension Tool

-Updated User Interface

-Additional Bluetooth Laser Support: Bosch Laser Meter GLM 100 C, Leica devices D810 & D910 (iOS only)

- 2D Vector View; see materials applied in 3D views display in the 2D floor plan 

-And, a few other updates

System Requirements

• Android 4.4 and newer
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • 16 GB of Storage
  • For Bluetooth lasers:
    • Device must support Bluetooth LE or newer
    • Leica: E7100i (D110), E7500i (D510)
  • 341 MB Storage Space Free
    • Program — 14 MB download, 28 MB Installed
    • Content (Sample plans, Core Library - 313 MB Installed)
  • Accelerometer and gyro with sensor fusion (Required for some Sojourn® features to function)
  • Back-facing camera (Required for some Sojourn® features to function)

I very, very much want Room Planner to be a useful tool for the professional remodeler but this video shows a job so simple that it actually takes much longer to do with Room Planner and the laser tool than it would take if you used a laser tool (or even a tape measure) with pad and paper. The upside is you can upload to Chief directly and that's huge but what can you actually upload? A complex 3 level home with open ceilings and stairways? Or a simple, single level box? Again, I want it to work, but I'm not getting it as an actual real world tool that would be useful in the real world of the professional remodeler.

Why do so many people use the term "as built" to describe drawings of an existing space.These are actually "measured drawings" drawings that establish the existing dimensions of the building such as room width and length,ceiling height, floor levels, window and door details and whatever level of detail is required to set the database from which new architectural details and drawings will be established. Drawings labeled as "as builts" are set after a project is completed as the following AIA definition shows.

AIA definition:

A revised set of drawings submitted by a contractor upon completion of a project or a particular job. They reflect all changes made in the specifications and working drawings during the construction process, and show the exact dimensions, geometry, and location of all elements of the work completed under the contract. Also called record drawings or just as-builts.

Since stamped and approved construction drawings are legal documents it is very important that they be correctly labeled.

Many thanks

Ed Spena

I think you are analyzing it too much, I think it a regional thing and what someone learns about it. I've never seen anyone go into such depth as you have but the good thing is you can do it your way. Have fun with it.

AIA definition:

Many thanks

Ed Spena

I see the terms As-Built and Existing used interchangeably all the time , though technically I think you are right , and Here, As-Builts would be what the Building Inspector/City would demand near job completion if there were too many changes from the Original Permitted Drawings... (Existing go in with the Proposed drawings)

It's also probably partly due to CA using the term As-Builts for Existing too in most of their Docs.

M.

I very, very much want Room Planner to be a useful tool for the professional remodeler but this video shows a job so simple that it actually takes much longer to do with Room Planner and the laser tool than it would take if you used a laser tool (or even a tape measure) with pad and paper. The upside is you can upload to Chief directly and that's huge but what can you actually upload? A complex 3 level home with open ceilings and stairways? Or a simple, single level box? Again, I want it to work, but I'm not getting it as an actual real world tool that would be useful in the real world of the professional remodeler.

I'm still not sure why they are ignoring their (mostly) Windows based Client's who have Laptops and Tablets (like the Surface) , especially since you can't use X7 on a laptop and Desktop at the same time without the hassle of activating/deactivating.

I see it is now supporting the cheaper Bosch Laser Meter GLM 100 C , it also comes with it's own App, though it is only iOS and Android too.

Thanks, it does look good, but this is a very simple room, I would really like to see how it deals with joining of rooms, recessed walls etc.

I don't need loads of detail for my as-builts, just walls, openings & sanitary fixtures a digital camera takes care of everything else I need.

I shall keep on eye on it & maybe give it a go on release of the new version.