My 23 hour Ray Trace

Electromen

Tuesday evening I started a high quality, kitchen Ray Trace.  I meant to stop it in about an hour.  I went to bed and the next morning I went skiing with family.  That evening I remembered about the Ray Trace and finally stopped it after 23 hours 8 min. and 238 passes.

I was surprised to find the file size was only 102K as a jpeg.  The quality of the photo is outstanding.  

Has anyone else let it go that long?

• Upvote 1

I typically start mine on Friday evening before heading home and come back to stop it Monday morning.

That is how this ray tracer works. If set to unlimited time/passes, it will just keep recalculating the pixels and improving them.

The resulting image is usually around the same size whether it's a 1 pass rendering or 1,000 pass rendering. The size of the file is mostly based off of the resolution of the image.

Don't lose that image! :)

• Upvote 1

Why do I need to post them? Who cares what my stuff looks like, the question should be are you happy with yours.

Yeah, well that wasn't intended for you.......was for the OP, my bad for not quoting him.  Will make a note to be more observant in your presence.....geesh

Sorry I thought you were quoting at me, its a laugh anyway. I don't know about you but I take things very lightly and like to have fun, after all

they pay us the big bucks to be here. Its a great way to learn though.

For the sake of information which is what I think the OP is fishing for here.

You can decide on a limit based on the purpose for the image.

If you plan on using it for a small pamphlet or web page, then the most you may want is 500 passes as you can't really see any visual difference beyond this point when looking at the image on your monitor or small piece of paper.

If you intend to print on a larger sheet however, that is when more passes counts. but still, more than a 1,000 and your really just recalulating an image that is as good as it's going to get.

My preference is to set pretty much any image I create to 500 passes because here in tech I only ever need to put it in a tech tip article on the website. I'm not printing so it would be a waste of time to go much longer.

When I do let an image go all weekend it's usually for larger images that I want to have the flexibility to edit into a final image later.

• Upvote 1