License Related Question

...Other software systems like Revit...allow the simultaneous installation on a desktop and laptop for this purpose...

I believe you are actually mistaken about this.  I'm pretty certain Revit works almost exactly like Chief.  The program can indeed by installed on 2 machines but never active on both machines at the same time.  Nothing unusual about this for a multi-thousand dollar program. 

interesting...

how long is it active on both A and B ???

Lew

I never really use this so can't really say. Some users have indicated that you might get up to 10 days. Have no idea if Chief checks up on this after the initial activation. Would be advisable to do a hard save frequently just in case you get shutdown. Note if you close the program it will require full activation when you try to open it again.

Graham

One issue that has not been mentioned by either side of the equation covering this topic is the issue of keeping the Chief Files synced. Sure, any given user may activate or deactivate as the need may arise. This is also true for the hardware lock or dongle (always hated that term). What can really make either a pain is keeping the client files in sync at two or more locations (office, home, mancave, etc). 

I would suggest a USB device that not only contains the security measure but enough storage for the users files in progress as well. This would certainly more than justify a hardware security system by offering an almost foolproof way to keep current work up to date.Since the hardware lock needs to be plugged in and removed every time the user may choose to work at a second location it would make perfect sense to use the device to store files too.

I personally prefer the hardware lock over the software lock as it is. Never know when the net will be down and for how long. Don't get me started on cloud computing! 

Syncing files is not an issue, just use OneDrive or DropBox, everything is taken care of. Not sure about your security concerns, you can always encrypt the files if necessary, but really who cares about a Chief plan file, what value would that be to a hacker? The net is never down, it's just your provider that is having technical problems, you can always use another network or tether to you cell provider to get access. If all of these people are all down together then I think there will be far greater thongs to worry about than working on a clients plan.

Graham

Graham