License Related Question

I'm a new Premier user, I'm happy overall with the software.  One slight annoyance about the licensing however.

Namely I use my Premier license on a desktop at my solo office, and at night and on the weekends at home...I'd like to use it on my laptop.  This occurs pretty much every day and it important for me to leverage my time with small kids.  I have no intention to try and use the software on more than one computer at any time.  I know from the help manual that I can deactivate, or activate the program on a given computer and accomplish this through a specific procedure or via this online website.  In general I really like this licensing system because if I upgrade my computer and swap out the hard drive, etc. I don't have these painful activation issues to deal with, its simple for major installs.

However for more frequent on-off daily use on two different computers it can be a pain.  Other software systems like Revit or Sketchup allow the simultaneous installation on a desktop and laptop for this purpose.  Then when I'm at home and I wish to just do a fast furniture arrangement, for example...its no problem.  I can drop files on a USB and go back and forth.

I wish there were an accommodation for this in Chief or am I mistaken about the licensing scheme?  Manually activating and deactivating will not work easily if I'm doing it 2x or more a day, every day...I have a feeling that will get problematic.....

Thanks,

Paul Schuyler

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your recent purchase and for the post.  Your understanding of how the security operates is spot.  You can deactivate by clicking Help>Deactivate in the program or you can log into your online account and deactivate.  Something that may help in managing the license is when you are finished on a given computer, instead of closing the software, Click "deactivate" which will both close and deactivate the software.  This will always leave the software in an active state, so that you can launch Chief Architect wherever you go next. 

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Sales

I'm with Paul on this one. I was forced to go the

hardware lock route because I use the program

on desktop workstations in 2 locations. One has

a blazing fast (65+Mbps) internet connection and

the other has no internet access so the activate

deactivate dance is useless to me. I think you 

should allow installation on 2 rigs (as many other

software vendors do) and then if you want to do

the activate/deactivate thing for any installations

beyond the initial 2, fine and dandy.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I totally agree with this, as I do mostly small projects and can have up to 5 active clients over a 2-month period, I would like to have 2 x projects active at the same time.

Best of Luck that CA will listen and act?!

Garry

• 9 months later...

I to would like to be able to collaborate on more machines. I'm solo now but what if I grow and have other users in the office environment. Each collaborator should be able to work on the same file without deactivating, activating, or letting someone else use your rig. Autodesk can do it .Why cant chief? Its a real annoyance. As this program grows and becomes more predominate within the realm of architecture, shouldn't chief be more office environment  friendly?  After all this is no longer just a 3d home designer program. Its becoming more advanced, and its starting to compete on a bigger block. I realize its about how they can charge more money. kind of like 420 in California they just need to figure out the best deal for them not the consumer. But We have continually paid for updated versions and the initial cost. Its beginning to sound like the phone company......oh you need more data? well that will be an extra 100 per month. As I always said when running crews on the construction side , its not you that's done a good job ....its your loyal crew. They are the ones making or breaking you. not the other way around. ...........k I've said my peace.

I'm wondering which piece of design software actually allows multiple licenses for a single user. ArchiCAD doesn't. Vectorworks doesn't. I know that Revit used to, but they are now charging $2700/year (or thereabouts), every year, and the software stops working if you don't cough up the money. You want Chief to be more like Autodesk? I don't. Chief has a discounted second license option available if you need that. Sure, I would like something for nothing, too, but I think the current pricing scheme is pretty fair. And the license activation/deactivation works pretty well. Get a mobile hotspot on your cell phone if you don't have easy internet access. I'm not sure what the software check-in frequency is, but I believe that, in a pinch, you could probably turn off the internet access and work for a few times if you haven't already deactivated that computer. In the old days, I left my hardware lock at the wrong place too many times to even think about going back to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm wondering which piece of design software actually allows multiple licenses for a single user. ArchiCAD doesn't. Vectorworks doesn't. I know that Revit used to, but they are now charging $2700/year (or thereabouts), every year, and the software stops working if you don't cough up the money. You want Chief to be more like Autodesk? I don't. Chief has a discounted second license option available if you need that. Sure, I would like something for nothing, too, but I think the current pricing scheme is pretty fair. And the license activation/deactivation works pretty well. Get a mobile hotspot on your cell phone if you don't have easy internet access. I'm not sure what the software check-in frequency is, but I believe that, in a pinch, you could probably turn off the internet access and work for a few times if you haven't already deactivated that computer. In the old days, I left my hardware lock at the wrong place too many times to even think about going back to that.

You are 100% correct, and I don't recall the exact check-in frequency requirement, but I believe its only like once every 7-10 days.  It's a pretty substantial amount of time. 

• Upvote 1

Well, as long as we keep acquiescing to these ever

more stringent software licensing agreements what

else do you expect? Almost all my software used to

be able to be installed on multiple rigs. Now I can't

rightly remember them all, but I do remember that 

Adobe Acrobat used to allow 3 installs (no longer). 

I'm pretty sure programs like QuickBooks and Office

also allowed more than 1 installation. At present the

only significant software I have that still allows more

than one installation per license is SolidWorks, but

I'm sure as we continue to cave in it won't be long

before I lose that capability also.

Check out the attached thumbnail for SolidWorks

sensible protocol for stand alone installations.

post-126-0-78869800-1457238998_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

You are 100% correct, and I don't recall the exact check-in frequency requirement, but I believe its only like once every 7-10 days

Hmmm, then why did Joe get caught when CA's server went down a few days ago ???

I still like the hardware key

In a non-perfect world it is the best choice for me

every year, and the software stops working if you don't cough up the money

what happens if CA adopts this strategy with the software locks ???

I can still run all my old versions and I no longer need CA's permission

Lew

Lew

Note: You must be connected to the internet to activate, or deactivate your license.

Once activated Chief Architect can go without internet access for up to two weeks.

If you need to go without internet for longer than two weeks, consider buying a hardware lock for your software. More information on security options can be found here: http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/security.html

As Glenn points out, you can have Chief functional on more than one device for a certain amount of time without having to purchase an additional license.

When I originally investigated Chief as my primary work platform I did compare others in respect to their front end cost, annual maintenance and additional user licensing fees. I certainly found Chief to be more than competitive in all three categories. In fact in comparison to 2020 Chief beat them hands down.

With the online activation/deactivation it only takes a click or two to switch from one computer to another and it can be done from any location. If there is no WIFI I just tether to my phone. Use a cloud service like OneDrive or DropBox and all your files are available anywhere on any device, no need for USB sticks or portable hard drives; these are for all intent obsolete.

I fully understand that Chief has to place some limitation on the number of devices that the software can be run on concurrently. The current 7-10 day option is more than generous, don't know of any other licensed software that permits this without the purchase of an additional user license.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

I have Chief Architect installed on my home computer and work computer.  When I am done using CA on my work computer at the end of the day, I just go to the Help menu and click on Deactivate License".  It deactivates the license on that computer and closes the software.  Then I just open up the software on my home computer and click on the button that says "Activate".  I don't see what is so hard about doing this?  Now, I can understand if a internet connection is not present.  That could be an issue for some people.  I guess that is why they have the hardware lock.  I personally like the way Chief Architect handles there licensing.  Shoot, you can have the software legally installed on multiple computers.  I know for a fact other software programs don't typically let you do that.  Having to deactivate / activate the license when using the software on different computers is a very very minor trade off for allowing the software to be installed on multiple computers.  I for one hope CA doesn't change this policy.

What is the issue? Chief provides two methods to activate/deactivate, either via the internet or a hardware key. They permit under their single user license the installation of Chief on multiple computers. If you need to operate Chief simultaneous for short periods they allow for this even if you only have a single user license. If this does not meet your needs then you can purchase additional user licenses. What more do you want? What other similar level of software provides this amount of flexibility?

Graham

so graham, i think that this issue of quote, the (need to operate Chief simultaneous for short periods they allow for this even if you only have a single user license.)

sounds good so could you enlighten us on how to go about this situation please. thks mate

• Upvote 1

so graham, i think that this issue of quote, the (need to operate Chief simultaneous for short periods they allow for this even if you only have a single user license.)

sounds good so could you enlighten us on how to go about this situation please. thks mate

Activate Chief on Computer A, go to Computer B and activate Chief. A dialog box will popup and tell you that Chief is active on Computer A, select deactivate online. Deactivate Computer A online, activate Chief on Computer B. Chief will now be active on both Computer A & B.

Graham

• Downvote 1

The Solidworks Activation of both a Work and Home computer works well. I've used it for about 20 years and find it to be convenient but still make sure it is just one user using it on two computers.

B2W Software, previously Bid 2 Win, allows a Work computer and then a laptop or home computer. You can even check out a bid and take it with you on your laptop and then check it back in to the server. It also lets one user use multiple computers without allowing a second PERSON to use the license.