Will Somebody Help Me With This Bucking Plan?

dshall

I know,  I know,  you think there is a misspelling in the title,  not so.  Take a look at the picture,  my client calls this a BUCKING DETAIL  

Essentially we are framing a 2x8 wall but around the window we want the REBATE/INVERTED TRIM,  whatever you want to call it.

Take a look at the plan,  this is the beset solution I have come up with....  2 walls....  what a hassle.....  anybody have a better idea?

post-50-0-21370000-1431014915_thumb.png

BBB A BUCKING PLAN 1.plan.zip

BTW,  in my plan I used a window and a  pass-thru.  I should of put in a window and did the DOUBLE WALL O[TIONS...... ENLARGED OPENING OPTION,  that way only one window and no pass-thru needed.  But still I had to build two walls.

post-50-0-01248300-1431015204_thumb.png

I seem to remember how this cold be done being posted years ago by Archijeff I think.  And

maybe someone else also.  But I cannot remember the process.  I think it had to do with

custom moldings/casing.  NO real help I know but maybe he will respond or you can search

the archives. Another reason not to get rid of them.

The best I can do with the dbx is attached.

post-132-0-84207300-1431015806_thumb.jpg

Scott,

I assume you really want a 2x8 studs.  If that's the case you could just do the double 2x4 stud wall where the windows are - or even a Wall Type with and extra exterior stucco thickness of 4".  Then recess the Window to the Main Layer.

yes Dennis is right, I was thinking the same thing , and I think this is the  post, 1 wall with outer thick layer

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?8233-Recessed-Windows&s=&highlight=Recessed

Edit : Dennis is right twice ! :)  that Post was made in 2004 and may disappear soon so , I brought it forward below in case ....................

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 07-15-2004 at 07:32 AM.

--- Select a triple layered wall; make the outside layer the thick, the thickness you would like your windows to be recessed adjust other layers to return you wall to the correct size. It might be a good idea to open the defaults dialog and set the window minimum separation to zero. Mull your windows together, open dialog box, select casing and then tick suppress casing. I think that should do it. 

--- I’ve decide to cut my last reply completely, and try again. I’m including a new image, with the casing, and a couple of screen shots. The wall I used has three layers. The outside layer is 150 mm, and the following two are 250 and 10 mm. Make sure layer no. 2 is defined as the main layer.( under define walls, click radio button 2.)It’s the thick outer layer that enables you window to go in and sit on the second layer. Make sure all your windows are blocked together properly, if not this method will not work. Although it will work for a single window.
windows_blok.jpg
I think this is what you want.
Use these settings
M_W_options.jpg

M_W_Casing.jpg

Final post script: I've done some checking , an it seems the recessed box under options, will be greyed out, if a single layed wall is used, I am sure this is the real reason it would not work for you, to summarise, use more than one layer. let me know if this works for you.

Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 07-15-2004 at 07:32 AM.

Scott,

I assume you really want a 2x8 studs.  If that's the case you could just do the double 2x4 stud wall where the windows are - or even a Wall Type with and extra exterior stucco thickness of 4".  Then recess the Window to the Main Layer.

Joe,  it is really easy to describe a solution,  but have your tried it?  

I should of said something else,  I am not only looking for a satisfactory 3d look,  but a good plan solution and a good cross section solution.....  I ain't even going to request a good material list solution...  I gave up on material lists a long time ago.

Thanks Dennis and Bird......  not sure if Jeff's solution is the solution...  he did not show a section or a decent plan view solution.  

If anybody can post a small plan with their best solution,  I would appreciate it.

I always try to model it as it would be framed. 2x8 stud wall ,as Joe suggested, using double walls at the windows.

Yea,  but if the window moves,  I have to monkey around with the walls again....  but you and Joe may be right,  that might be the best solution......  so essentially my solution (double walls)  but using double walls only at the openings.

Scott,

Maybe this will work - I used a 2x8 stud wall and messed with the window frame.  You can also make some adjustments with the Options Panel of the Window dbx.

Yep,  tried that but you do not have the stucco return between the window and the bucking wall......  you know,  in my example I have about 4" between the window frame and the bucking wall,  the bucking wall being the wall that sticks out another bucking 4".

I've no solution, but when I was seeing that look down in Texas last year, I asked the builder how it was framed, and he said they doubled the walls where the embedded windows were to be.  2x6 out, 2x4 in.

Where I saw it, the detail only appeared on street-side windows.  All stucco, the stucco returns at the windows bullnosed with large radius corners.  The look of windows in 18th century mission buildings.

Yep,  tried that but you do not have the stucco return between the window and the bucking wall......  you know,  in my example I have about 4" between the window frame and the bucking wall,  the bucking wall being the wall that sticks out another bucking 4".

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out if I could do that with some sort of custom exterior casing - something else to consider.

Here is an Austin builder showing how the detail is done in a 2x6 wall, no doubling.  They frame the opening in the 2x6 large, then sub-frame inside with 2x4.

This yields a 2 inch recess.  The builder I spoke with north of San Antonio was achieving a 6 inch recess with the doubled wall.

Here is an Austin builder showing how the detail is done in a 2x6 wall, no doubling.  They frame the opening in the 2x6 large, then sub-frame inside with 2x4.

This yields a 2 inch recess.  The builder I spoke with north of San Antonio was achieving a 6 inch recess with the doubled wall.

Gene,  that is exactly it,  a sub frame of 2x4 within the exterior wall.  

I've got to go to a job site, but will post the plan and details later.

It's a standard 2x6 wall with stucco, with the window frame recessed.

It's a molding converted to a symbol, and applied as a blind. It can be a little tricky to set up; but once you have the window in your library it's mostly automatic, as it will stretch with the window.

could you not use Dennis's idea and make it into a symbol for placement?

The problem with that is that Chief hasn't given enough control of the 2D and 3D Window Symbols.  This was an addition in X6 but it was never properly completed.  It drives me crazy.

I just built a 2 x 4 wall the width of a window plus the desired left & right stucco exposure. Placed a 2 x 8 on the left & right sides of this with the interior faces aligned. Placed the window in the 2 x 4 section. Then built a 2" wall in front of the 2 x 2 wall with a pass-through to expose the window & surrounding finish. Would this not work?

Graham