Stainless Steel Looks Black...

SteveT

Steve:

I would suggest that you search the forum on this subject.  It has been kicked around a lot and there are some threads with some good information in them.  You either are using a bad texture and/or you aren't using correct settings.  I too have struggled with SS in ray traces and it is a tricky thing to get right.  You'll get some good info from those prior threads and with a little help from others, you'll get some good information in this thread as well.  I am heading off to bed now or I would direct you to one or more of the better threads.  You should find one or more SS textures to try if you find the right thread(s).  Good luck.

So there's nothing on this forum about Ray Tracing, according to the search box.

I gather, however, that the forum software changed recently, and that I'm probably only looking at posts from at most a few months back.

How do you search the "old" forums (or is this necessary?).

Rendering stainless steel has ALWAYS been a problem.  Even with 3rd party rendering software it's a problem...

There are solutions you can do post pro, or just change the texture of the object to look "stainless"...

As soon as you find a good fix, let us all know :)

Steve:

Here's a link from doing a search on stainless steel (SS) on the legacy ChiefTalk forum:

http://www.chieftalk.com/search.php?searchid=206209

There's a bunch of threads shown and not everything is specifically targeting SS but lots of good info to wade through.  You should probably stick with information that pertains to X5 or X6 as it "may be" more appropriate for Chief's current ray trace engine.  Nevertheless, other good info is good on all sorts of subjects related to ray tracing. 

• Upvote 1