Upwards Compatibility And The Mysterious Invisible Cabinetry

Nicinus

I've taken an X5 file into latest X7 version and many of my objects has materials with 'No pattern' and No texture', making them invisible in the 3D view. All these material definitions somehow got lost.

A similar issue happened to all electrics, which turned black. The 110V outlet object in the electrical defaults refer to a symbol named '¨7.0 & Prior Compatibility:Outlets/Wall Mounted/110V/Duplex (low res)' if this is somehow a clue.

Has anyone encountered this issue or something similar? Advice?

When sending a plan for Chief Viewer use you make an empty folder, then " back up entire plan" into that folder. All textures and materials needed are put there.

I've never had this problem on upgrade but I always have the prior version installed. Another option, is to restore the old Chief data folders to the machine. Might be a better choice.

I don't know if you need to migrate the materials etc to the x7 data folders.

Your situation sounds a little worse than usual, what I mean is I expect this sort of thing when opening legacy plans (losing textures and symbols that may have changed several versions ago). What I do  is to replace the material associations, one at a time and any missing or changed electric or other symbols, the same thing-replace them one at a time from the present time library Browser. It just comes with the truff (using older plans in later versions).

DJP

What your saying does not make sense to me.  All X5 plans should come into X7 with very few, if any, problems.  These plans are only 2 versions back and I don't think there have been very many material changes since then.

Even if you were using materials in your X5 plan that had custom textures and patterns, they should still be visible in X7 camera views and the worst case is that your custom textures are not there.  The material should display as a solid color instead.

I suspect that your plan is really messed up from something else.  You may want to contact tech support or post your X5 plan to see if others get similar results if they open it up in X5.

I actually did call support, but it took a while to get someone on the line, and after getting the guy to understand the problem it ended with him wanting to uploading it to take a look, which he would have time to do tomorrow.  :)

Anyhow, it appears as if stuff changed a lot on the material side in those versions, and having a backed up version would most likely have helped on the stuff that became black. However, there seems to be no reasonable explanation as to why materials completely disappeared and says Nopattern and No texture, so I'll upload to support.

Another thing that seriously bugs me is that when I want to change materials in the dbx tab, and there are say 7-8 materials and I would like the same material on perhaps 3 of them, I can't just drag and drop copy them onto each other. I have to go back into the library for each one and find the same material several times.

I asked support about this and he said the best way is to make a copy into the user library, but if you have any kind of structure in your user library that is only going to be moderately faster.

"...so I'll upload to support."

Please be sure to upload the original X5 plan when you do.  If you give us the plan after you save it in X7, we will not be able to determine if there is a problem with converting it.

I really suspect that the plan is already in a bad state and if we open it up in X5 that it will look exactly the same as it does in X7.