Dimensions preventing point markers

MarkMc

I often need to dimension cross sections of cabinets. I only want the snaps to go to the cabinets but often get an info box-"you have dimensioned to cross section lines. Point markers will be used..." So I have to undo and try again until it snaps where I want. This seams to have gotten worse in X6 but may just be me.

Is there a setting to prevent dimensions snapping to and creating these point markers?

The only solution I'd found is to convert to cad or drop in a bunch of lines where I want things to snap.

I'm curious to see what answers you get… I've been having the exact same issue. As you say it seems to be much worse in X6.

Not sure if you're experiencing this or not, but i've been having problems dimensioning sections in general. No matter what my settings I can't get quite a few different things to locate. In particular… Custom countertops, fixtures, and appliances. And at least in one instance where I COULD locate the edge of a custom countertop, it would only snap to a spot like 20 or 30 feet up in the air. The dimension was correct but I had to pull the extension line way down to make the dimension look right.

At any rate, dimensioning elevations is a major hassle.

Section dimensions are still very slow for me but as you know there are no "locate objects" settings for dimensioning the sides or shelves of

cabinets. Maybe Chief could add them. When there is no setting to locate those objects it uses the point markers. IMO there is still work needed to

be done in this area.

Just checked an X5 plan, just as bad, must be my imagination. Recently changed system display setting maybe made it worse? don't know.

I can understand it being difficult to allow snaps to cabinet openings, door stiles and rails but cabinet height and counter ought to be accessible for a program that you can use to take the NKBA test??- and they couldn't understand why detail from view is needed in interiors.

Stopped wasting my breath and managed a few bucks so upgraded one license to premier so I at least don't have to constantly export to cad and import into layout or play "move/copy" lines to snap to. Detail from view helps for final layout, but design work is still a PIA in elevation. Oh well

What I don't understand is why dimensioning elevations is so inconsistent. I can get dimensions (with or without point markers) to snap to one countertop but not another. Same goes with fixtures. Just 2 days ago I was drawing up plans for a wet bar and could get dimensions to snap to 3 sides of a TV but not the 4th. That same seemingly unpredictable behavior is the only part of dimensioning elevations it seems I can count on.

-"you have dimensioned to cross section lines.........."

Turn off that layer.

Chief does a pretty good job of locating finished floor & c'lng, 3D objects like cabinets, fixtures, doors & windows w/ not a lot of extra BS dimension points. Be sure to have your preferences selected in "Locate Objects" in dimension defaults.

Just tell it OK and then relocate the ends of the dims....the point markers will go away. Faster than telling it NO and trying over and over again. I just draw a dim and let the damn thing snap to whatever it wants.....which it does....then just grab the ends and relocate to where I wanted it.

Just tell it OK and then relocate the ends of the dims....the point markers will go away. Faster than telling it NO and trying over and over again. I just draw a dim and let the damn thing snap to whatever it wants.....which it does....then just grab the ends and relocate to where I wanted it.

Are you able to get it to snap to the top of a base cabinet in elevation? and then to a counter? I'm not getting that.

post-85-0-48357900-1395775495_thumb.jpg

OK, just making sure I wasn't nuts- I do that on every single job, several elevations.

I usually had been putting lines in place to snap to what I need, cabinet openings, appliance cutouts, cabinet heights (including base cabinets), molding profile parts, drawerheads etc ...gets to be a lot of lines and if things are in flux during design they all have to move...OR exporting to CAD  when using interiors version.

I hadn't done that on this thinking that with the upgrade to premier figuring I could take care of some of that (like moldings and openings),  with detail from view- didn't realize that it wasn't snapping to base cabinets until now. As Michael says results are unpredictable.