Best Computer for running Cheif

VinnieVicon

I have almost 600mb used on my 840evo 1tb drive. I also have a 1tb backup drive ( my old main drive). on a desktop you just plug it into an unused elect. and data wires, then just copy your drive over to the SSD, then go into the bios and switch the boot drive to the new SSD and done. The software that comes with it makes it real simple. If you have a laptop you need the usb transfer cable.

I have almost 600mb used on my 840evo 1tb drive. I also have a 1tb backup drive ( my old main drive). on a desktop you just plug it into an unused elect. and data wires, then just copy your drive over to the SSD, then go into the bios and switch the boot drive to the new SSD and done. The software that comes with it makes it real simple. If you have a laptop you need the usb transfer cable.

Thanks Perry (I assume you mean 600 GB) I appreciate the reply and info. I have to say I feel a bit inadequate having used only 160 GB these many years but since that's the case I should be able to fit everything on a 256 gig (maybe 512 to be safe) with no problem and use my 1TB drive for back-up as well as the cloud service I use (Carbonite). Again, thanks for the post.

Yes , I always use rapid mode b/c I have plenty of memory. There was another reason for trying to get top speed but, I only have SATA 1 so I can't get top speed without changing out my motherboard.  If you have SATA 3 you can get there. It's still fast at SATA 1. I'm happy.

Perry,

Did you read the article Steve posted. Bottom of 1 page talks about a software boost for speed. Rapid mode. Have you tried it?

Thanks for the 'heads up' on rapid mode. I just installed the 500 GB 840 EVO on my system last week and was unaware of 'rapid mode'. It made a huge difference in performance - as reported by the 'Samsung Magician' application (and I was happy with the performance prior to knowing about Rapid Mode :)  )

You give up some longevity in Rapid mode but with a 10 year warranty who cares.

Uhm... the limited warranty on my 840 EVO is 3 years. Also, before I turned on the Rapid mode, the little 'help' description stated that it actually improves longevity - this would make sense in that a lot of the reads/writes might never make it to the SSD as they likely stay in the DRAM memory cache (the Samsung Magician looks like it allocated 4 GB RAM on my system).

Anyway, I'm nit-picking - thanks again for pointing out this feature!

Oh,I was looking at the 850Pro for warranty info.

Product Capacity Product Warranty Policy (Period or TBW)

830 Series 64GB/128GB/256GB/512GB 3 years

840 Series 120GB/250GB/500GB 3 years

840 PRO Series 128GB/256GB/512GB 5 years (73 TBW for enterprise applications)

840 EVO Series 120GB/250GB/500GB 3 years

850 PRO Series 128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB 10 Years or 150TBW

Must have miss read the life span thing.

Vinnie,

I have gone through this a few times over the years and until now, CA always seemed to get the best of my PC configurations. This time, I did more research and did spend a little more but my PC now is a beast and I am running both CA and 20-20 on it at the same time. Raytraces that used to take hours to get high end renderings now take minutes.  See my specs below.  Hope this helps

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

For those concerned with the SATA II versus the STA III

take a look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-sata-3gbps,3469.html

I'm still looking for a better price on the 850 Pro 512gb but am close to a purchase.

My video card is the weak link in my old system, but I may wait on that until I get a new computer.

Regarding Rapid mode, I disabled this feature after reading the following article: http://techreport.com/review/25282/a-closer-look-at-rapid-dram-caching-on-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd/8 (this is the conclusion page). Granted, this article is a year old now and Samsung may have improved the performance of Rapid mode.  The conclusion of the article is: "Although I wouldn't recommend that folks enable RAPID mode as it exists right now, I am encouraged to see Samsung exploring new ways to speed up its SSDs. RAPID mode definitely has the potential to become more appealing as it matures, and it won't be restricted to the 840 EVO for long."

More interesting reading in Tech Report: they've been doing extended endurance tests on SSDs, and have written more than 1.5PB (one-point-five million gigabytes!) to two remaining competitors:

http://techreport.com/review/27062/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-only-two-remain-after-1-5pb

Spoiler alert: drives still fail-- even SSDs. Tech Report intends to try to achieve 2PB writes to the remaining SSDs in their test.

Keep in mind that it's not just reading big files from your hard disk and writing data back that is juiced by moving to SSD.  Moving your pagefile to SSD is equally important-- if not more so-- for CA.  When you're performing complex operations that saturate your CPU cores and memory, that activity moves to swap space-- your pagefile. And instead of that activity being written to/from the slowest hardware component in your computer, if's effectively written to/from extended RAM: Zing.

If you're still considering performance improvements in your CA rig, you can get outstanding, reliable SSD performance for .50 per GB, and top-of-the-line performance for less than $1 per GB-- with lots of good choices in between.

Thanks and HTH,

steveg

For the last 2 1/2 years (up until last night at about 9:00 actually), I have run a 2600k Processor, overclocked heavily, and it had made raytracing a breeze.  I just upgraded (in the wee hours of the night) to the 5960X 8 core processor.  I have not been able to overclock the CPU yet, but the attached images would have taken 3-4 minutes with my old processor, and are at just over a minute now.  I expect the time to go down to 50 seconds or so, after I tweek.

I do a lot of raytracing.  50-60 images a week, so if I save 3 minutes per image, over 50 weeks, that is 150 hrs of time!  The processor, motherboard and RAM (they needed to be upgraded also) set me back a little over 2K.  I expect this one to last 2 years.

Get the most amount of cores you canafford, and get the fasted speed out of your processor.

I use 2 video cards, not in SLI, with 3 monitors.  Samsung (I think it is there Pro series) SSD.  128gb for the OS and programs, 256 for my project and chief files.

Good luck with it!

post-135-0-05760400-1414537194_thumb.jpg

post-135-0-31465400-1414537212_thumb.jpg

post-135-0-38640300-1414537236_thumb.jpg

I would be interested in knowing what kind of

speed increase you realize if you get around

to overclocking your CPU. I have never put

the overclocking capabilities of my rig to use

as for the most part the plans I work with

haven't been that complex and I haven't seen

the need.

Nice crisp RT's BTW, and your second image

reminds me that roundball season starts tonite.

• Upvote 1

I will, my 2600k boosted to 3.8GHz stock, and I ran it at 4.7 for a little more than 2 years before performance started to erode  This processor is 3.0, and I think I can get it up to 4.7 again.  I have a ton of fans, and liquid cooling.

Those images were all in the 1 min, 20 second range at base clock.  I should be able to update it next week.

I just installed a 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD and just got it up and running this morning. Rapid mode enabled and I have noticed almost no increase in performance in any operation. Perhaps I'm missing a setting or my system was already fast - don't know, but really wasn't worth the bother or money for the non-existent performance gain. Maybe the numbers are better somewhere but real world differences? Can't find them. Just a heads up.