Can Anyone Tell Me Where My Ceiling Has Gone?

ladycoralie

Robert, Maybe that's what the Reference Manual says - but it's not how it works on my system. AFAIK, it has never worked that way. The only thing the Floor Camera does differently from the Full Camera is it limits the view to the Current Floor. post-47-0-64077900-1430495623_thumb.jpg The Floor Overview Camera doesn't show the Ceiling. If you look at the OP's pics, you will see that there is no ceiling in the structure tab (section view) of the dbx. The above pic shows a ceiling.

OTOH, the fact that this her room is on Level 0 may have something to do with her 3D View.  This is just one more reason to limit the use of Level 0 to the Foundation and use Level 1 for the Basement.

Joe, who knows where the disconnect is between the manual and the real world. I agree, upon taking the time to shoot a Floor Camera, that ceilings are shown. I think maybe the OP's problem is that there is no first floor built - at least that's what the Structure tab implies to me.

Thanks Guys. I've attached my plan for you. What is puzzling is that this is the way I did it before and it worked. The only difference is that this time I am using Casual American template.

Joe when I click the default ceiling height box, it makes the ceiling only 33 1/2 " high. So I've done something wrong in the setup.

should I start again and make the walkout basement on level 1 and the ground floor on level 2?

In Australia we call the first floor the ground floor, so that is why I started on level 1 for the main living area on ground level.

Thanks for your help Guys. :)The Peak New.plan

Lady,

Go to the Level 1 and in the Master Bedroom "Floor" section of the Structure Tab un-check "Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below"

That should fix it.

I still would separate the Foundation From the Basement by using different Levels.  I just  don't like using Level 0 for anything except the base Foundation.

Joe, do you think you could post a simple plan illustrating this idea of placing the basement and (full) foundation on different levels? Also, in following this approach, do you give up the auto Build Foundation feature?

Thanks

Thanks Larry,

I've been having a lot of trouble with my WiFi.  I got a new powered Extender but it's not working right either.  I'll have to call Tech Support on Monday. 

IAE, I just haven't been able to upload a video - keep losing connection half way thru.

Yes, you can build any kind of Foundation.  Really the only thing different is as Larry showed - you have to set the Floor Elevation and make the surrounding Walls the desired Wall Type.  Just think of it as the Basement (Lvl 1) has to be sunken in to the Terrain.  Otherwise there's nothing different from a normal Floor. 

You might need to change the name you display in Layout but that's it.

A footing in a basement without a slab? Huh? What would you walk on? A wooden floor? Wood on piers? Genuinely confused.

I guess you could try and define the slab as air space, and that might show only the footings and then you can walk on the dirt floor of the basement? Sorry for the snark Sherry but I don't understand but it is late so it might be something simple I'm missing.

Oh wait, a footing with a separate slab poured later? That could work. Is that what you mean?

Larry, Sometimes Basement Foundations are built with Footing Walls and the Slab is poured later after appropriate gravel and sand fill has been placed.

I rarely get to use a MonoSlab up at Big Bear - but "Walk-out Basements" are common on severely sloped sites.  Also, the footings are very often required to be offset and keyed to act as retaining wall footings.

Larry, Sometimes Basement Foundations are built with Footing Walls and the Slab is poured later after appropriate gravel and sand fill has been placed.

I rarely get to use a MonoSlab up at Big Bear - but "Walk-out Basements" are common on severely sloped sites.  Also, the footings are very often required to be offset and keyed to act as retaining wall footings.

Yup, do you think that's what Sherry is asking for?

Thanks for the Vids Larry , been wondering about this technique for a while , so they were the push to have a play :)

I was wondering why your weren't using the floor in the Room after watching the 2nd Vid. so decided to have a play, I see in the 3rd vid you fix that :)   Joe is right the Basement Walls and Floor are usually separate pours up here, as they get insulation and often heating in them too , and this technique works just fine as far as I went , no foundation level was needed , but perhaps in a Walkout situation it maybe useful? Perhaps we need a new thread for this technique perhaps in the new Tips Forum?

I'll attach my Play Plan if you want to have a look Sherry (and others)

Level 1 Basement Play Plan.plan

just for the record CA from day1 generally puts the basement and foundation on floor 0

this was probably because Chief had a 10 floor limit + floor0 when I started with ver 9.5

and it may have been a 3 floor limit before that

with ver 10 that was changed to 99 floors

I think CA still puts basement on floor 0

but I've seen many postings over the last decade that it doesn't need to

and some that advocate that it never should be there

Lew

• Downvote 1

Thanks for the Vids Larry , been wondering about this technique for a while , so they were the push to have a play :)

I was wondering why your weren't using the floor in the Room after watching the 2nd Vid. so decided to have a play, I see in the 3rd vid you fix that :)   Joe is right the Basement Walls and Floor are usually separate pours up here, as they get insulation and often heating in them too , and this technique works just fine as far as I went , no foundation level was needed , but perhaps in a Walkout situation it maybe useful? Perhaps we need a new thread for this technique perhaps in the new Tips Forum?

Larry,  this was the best vid you have done on the subject to date.  But,  but,  what you did not talk about is.......

HOW DO YOU CONTROL THE ELEVATION OF THE SLAB FLOOR INDEPENDENT OF THE ELEVATION OF THE FOOTING.

This is something I have admittedly struggled with,   not sure why,  because there is a very simple solution,  open the room and edit the

HEIGHT OF STEM WALL

easy peasy.

And one other thing Larry,  you mentioned that you did not have a foundation,  I agree,  we do not need a foundation level to do what you did.  I think the foundation level should be reserved for MONO SLABS if they are needed.  And as we nitwits in mono slab land understand,  putting basements on LEVEL ZERO in lieu of LEVEL ONE,  can be limiting.....  I said "can be limiting",  so I take your approach Larry,  put the basement walls and footings on level one.

Great subject Larry,  I have been doing a lot of this lately.  

Mick,  again to restate,  your footing elevations are controlled by the FLOOR THICKNESS.  And this may be the way it works,  but dollars to donuts,  I bet the footing will be built at an elevation independent of the floor structure thickness....  

The point being,  I think you should control the elevation of the footings  independently of the thickness of the floor structure,  and the way to do that is by opening up the room dbx and changing the HEIGHT OF THE STEM WALL.

Great subject guys,  thanks.