Appliances Placed In Cabinets

Joe_Carrick

I just noticed something this morning that I don't think is right:

1.  When an appliance such as a Dbl Oven is placed in a Cabinet via the Plan it is properly sized and positioned (height) according to the Symbol Specs.  This is IMO the correct behavior.

2.  When the same appliance is added to a cabinet via the Cabinet dbx the height is modified to fit within the section of the Cabinet Front.  IOW, a 50" tall appliance is squeezed or stretched to fit the height of the cabinet opening.  I consider this to be incorrect behavior.  Of course, if the Appliance Symbol has a stretch Plane set at z = -1 the symbol will not be resized in 3D but it will still appear at the wrong size in the Appliance Schedule.

When the same appliance is added to a cabinet via the Cabinet dbx the height is modified to fit within the section of the Cabinet Front.

Only in height- if it doesn't like the width it rejects it. BUT you can increase the size of the cabinet, place the appliance and then resize the cabinet. Ovens are always bigger than the cutout for them- which is what I'd like to be able to use for the size AND still have the appliance look correct in plan, elevation and 3D

• 1 year later...

Do you have a way to place a second appliance (warming drawer, microwave, etc.) in a cab.? I have been fudging by stacking cabinets, and giving 1 cab the correct label while suppressing the other(s). I know that there must be a much better way.  Suppose that I could make my own symbol, too. 

You can create an opening in a cabinet and then place the appliance freestanding and move it into the opening.  We really should be able to use the "Specify Appliance" to do that.

Of course, you could always just put that appliance in a blank plan and convert it to a Cabinet Drawer Front Symbol ;)

I'm a big fan of creating the proper sized openings, placing and properly sizing the freestanding appliance and then properly positioning it in the cabinet. It's a lot more accurate and far less likely to result in a sizing mistake. When an appliance is inserted as a face item it can too easily be sized incorrectly to start with or resized by mistake. I personally place almost all my appliances manually.

Do you have a way to place a second appliance (warming drawer, microwave, etc.) in a cab.? I have been fudging by stacking cabinets, and giving 1 cab the correct label while suppressing the other(s). I know that there must be a much better way.  Suppose that I could make my own symbol, too. 

I normally lurk around here...but is this not what you're talking about?

post-237-0-07912700-1475616322_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-85794100-1475616327_thumb.png