Leaving X7 Back To X6

KenL-sdd

Go to solution Solved by KenL-sdd,

The only problem with that is that I can put up X6 and X7 on the same computer and the same screen and you can see the lag difference, so I think the lag is built into X7 or X7 doesn't agree with something or another program on my system.

Dermot, I'm not the only one seeing this.

Absolutely, I see no change and as far raytracing goes it has never been faster for me.  I had a customer sitting with me this morning and she commented (unsolicited) on how long it takes switching between tabs, it was kind of embarrassing.  Her next question was is this costing me money?

I had a customer sitting with me this morning and she commented (unsolicited) on how long it takes switching between tabs, it was kind of embarrassing.  Her next question was is this costing me money?

I wonder if she will also ask the framer if the time it takes to take a nail out of his bag is costing her money. Should she only be charged for "pounding time"?

Hi Mick - Just checked mine the general default is auto on mine. Checked the program tab and Chief is not listed. I guess I have to add this in manually. Will do so and see if this makes a noticeable difference.

Thanks for the direction,

Graham

Made a difference for me  , here is the Post that Perry did with some  pics of his settings for me last year, I have updated them a bit since as I now have a GTX970 , not a GTX470. 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/321-nvidia-driver-settings/?hl=%2Bnvidia+%2Bsettings

I also  loaded the new CA Update today and got the latest  Nvidia Drivers too while I was at it (350.12) and it seems a bit quicker.

I wonder if she will also ask the framer if the time it takes to take a nail out of his bag is costing her money. Should she only be charged for "pounding time"?

I get your analogy Richard, and no question her thinking is crass, but I chalk that up to the innate self-interest we all are afflicted with.  I simply reminded her that my charge in this case was by the sq. ft. - not time related.

The larger point here is this slowness costing me money?  Lets expand on your analogy with the framer having to untie a flap on his bag and retie it each and every time he reaches for a nail; that is what X7 has become.

Graham

I tried to use a video driver from a year earlier with no change.

I also tried to mess with the thread section of the control panel with no success also.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. My problem must be something different than yours.

Graham

I tried to use a video driver from a year earlier with no change.

I also tried to mess with the thread section of the control panel with no success also.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. My problem must be something different than yours.

Hi Perry - I played with the thread optimization also and could not see any difference either. Maybe it was doing something but I just can't detect it.

I started to have second thoughts on using the older driver so I installed the latest Nvidia with a clean install. System is now running funny, sometimes ok and then other times there is a lag, even with other programs like my browser & Outlook. Just can't get a handle on it. Will go back to my old driver from 2013 for the time being until some more definitive answers become available.

Thanks for trying,

Graham

I was having a very slow time with copying. It would take maybe 3 sec. to even select an object. I reduced the Max Undo to 3, and bumped up the Idle state to 1000 ms. (1 sec.) and the slowness disappeared. I'm not sure which did it, but the problem is gone.

Max undo should not affect the speed as you only ever do or undo once each time. The idle time would make a difference.

If you have an ssd drive it can speed up your undo/redo as well. You can change where undo files are saved under prefs>General>Folders.

Also it bears mentioning again, slow undo redo is very often caused by too many temp files on Windows OS. Doing a cleanup of the temp files often speeds up the entire computer.

I'm not sure if anyone has checked this but, If X6 was configured to use a different folder than the default it could explain the difference in speed as well.

Apparently the number of undo's can affect performance. I stand corrected by our development team.

In my experience changing the idle time will have more effect on performance than changing the number of undo's.

What is idle time?...and what would be an optimal setting?

just incase you aren't being funny ..........idle time is the millisecond setting on the Undo Preferences setting , I have seen it mentioned in another thread to try 100 (10th second) and Richard says to try 1000 here

The only problem with that is that I can put up X6 and X7 on the same computer and the same screen and you can see the lag difference, so I think the lag is built into X7 or X7 doesn't agree with something or another program on my system.

Dermot, I'm not the only one seeing this.

This last update (17.2.0.69x64) did not resolve the lag as Perry mentioned above. Also what he mentioned is exactly what I show in the video linked below. The time is approximately twice as long in X7 vs X6. See video.

I will contact support again to see what we can do to help Chief help us. Not sure what to do more than show them a video of the issue and send them the plan file used in X6 vs X7 comparison.

I understand that the issue has to do with complex patterns such as stone, brick or some roof patterns. Unfortunately or not these are the choices the homeowners want to see.

Support do you have all of the library's downloaded on your test machines? I do not know if that may have an impact but they are on my machine.

AGAIN

I am staying with X6 until the issue is resolved.

see old post to see the issue  # 13 for a video and plan file submitted to tech support

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4547-x7-is-s-l-o-w/#entry39530

The case that Perry has is still a mystery to us. I'm not sure what Ken is seeing. I looked at the video he refers to in the past. I'm pretty sure some of the slowness he reported in that video was fixed in the update. But because the video shows more than 1 issue it is hard to speculate as to what the performance is like now.

The case Perry has seems likely to be precipitated by a setting. We were speculating yesterday that one possibility is the number of recent files. In X7 we populate a list on the task bar that wasn't there before. It gets updated when you save so it is possible that if it is very large that you might see a performance issue when you hit save. Setting it down to 0 should put the timing of that operation down to something closer to X6. That may be worth a try.

The recent files set to zero did the trick, thank you Doug. I had it set to 20. the only problem is I use that every day so I don't have to search for plans all the time . I might be working on 3 plans at the same time and need this feature.

Is there a way to fix this?

The recent files set to zero did the trick, thank you Doug. I had it set to 20. the only problem is I use that every day so I don't have to search for plans all the time . I might be working on 3 plans at the same time and need this feature.

Is there a way to fix this?

Like Perry I use this feature everyday too , so wonder if there are any options?  does it make any difference if shown in a menu or not ? 

Knowing the recent file list change did the trick narrows the focus quite a bit.

In the case of recent files - are any of the files in the recent file list on removable media or network locations that are not always available?

Nothing on removable media or networks. for me.  I do use a mirror backup using a  compact Hard drive from Carbonite, connected all the time. I could turn off and just backup at the end if the day.

I set recent to 5, undo to 6 at 100 milliseconds (1000 eliminated undo completely?) Snappier for sure.

Perry a thought- if you have CA pinned to the taskbar you can use the jump lists there- I have mine set to 12. I'm going to try 0 in CA and see if I can change habits. I use the jump list on several other progs so shouldn't be too bad.

I set recent to 5, undo to 6 at 100 milliseconds (1000 eliminated undo completely?) Snappier for sure.

Perry a thought- if you have CA pinned to the taskbar you can use the jump lists there- I have mine set to 12. I'm going to try 0 in CA and see if I can change habits. I use the jump list on several other progs so shouldn't be too bad.Thank you

Thank you sir, I'll give it a shot, I am very happy now that I know what's wrong, it was driving me nuts. I had recent files  set to 20, hopefully they can fix this now.