Processor Core Usage In Chief ?

TheKitchenAbode

Scott - You've identified correctly the techniques I used. Point lights, those vanity wall sconces, require a bit of playing around with to create a similar look without actually having them set as a point light. Just changing them to a spot light will not be good enough. In this example I just turned them off. Increase the glass luminance to make it look light and then aimed a 3d light directly at each one to make the wall behind appear brighter. It's important to turn the shadows off on these so you do not get the sconce shadow showing up from the front facing light source. You can then adjust the 3D lights drop off rate and beam angle to get the desired amount of glow behind the sconce.

Given the speed of rendering you are now achieving you can now play around with different settings and see the effect usually with no more than 3  passes. That's only about 30 seconds and you will know the effect. Beats waiting an 20 minutes or more only to find out you need to make more changes.

Graham

Yes sir! It sure does. And to your point on Free time. I have so much to learn and big projects on the table. I just wish I wasn't so detail focused but this is a huge and complex program to master I want to do it right. You guys and gals on the forum a priceless resource I very much appreciate.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Very nice Larry the Cores do make a difference. Without the shadows is quicker.

Did you have issues loading Graham's file (Texture missing)? I'm thinking I may have an issue with my settings. When I look in my user directory under CA I see no texture of zip files. (See attached)

post-5149-0-57285900-1432825474_thumb.png

post-5149-0-72829500-1432825573_thumb.png

Didn't change anything and just said ignore about the texture. I'm not much of a Ray Trace guy any more and certainly don't know all the ins and outs. I present almost all of my projects with video now and the few (crappy) RT's I do seem to be more than good enough for my clients.

I've got my Xeons Overclocked to about 3.2 Ghz, that may be the slight difference in our Ray Trace times.

The missing texture file will not create any problems. I got these from the forum. Here it is.

Thanks Kirk for sharing.

Thanks Graham. What is weird, and something I am only now noticing, is there is no texture file associated with my plan. Will investigate after I get this foundation project completed. Thanks again!

Didn't change anything and just said ignore about the texture. I'm not much of a Ray Trace guy any more and certainly don't know all the ins and outs. I present almost all of my projects with video now and the few (crappy) RT's I do seem to be more than good enough for my clients.

I've got my Xeons Overclocked to about 3.2 Ghz, that may be the slight difference in our Ray Trace times.

I forgot I turned the point light on on one of the sconces. My second pass was 1:26. I can't overclock these E5.2620.V3 CPU (per Intel). I may try a few tweaks at some point. For now, I am happy to be back in business.

Here's what I get with my 8 Intel Core i7-3770K CPU

cores chugging along @ 3.50 GHz. Same deal as

Larry. Missing a lot of textures.

Edit: Oops, forgot that the export picture feature

doesn't show the ray trace time. 10 passes - Ray

Trace Time 3:11

post-126-0-57514300-1432881348_thumb.png

Thanks to everyone for posting their results. Even with only 4 reporting there appears to be some general conclusions that can be drawn from these results. If others would post their findings I would build a spreadsheet with the results and post. Could be extremely useful when trying to figure out an upgrade strategy or to identify if your current configuration is performing as one would expect.

If you need to baseline your Raytracing just turn off all of the lights. This will be about as fast as you will ever get for a given scene. Textures on their own have minimal impact when there are no light/shadow effects.

For those with high core counts. I am not sure exactly how the Core/Threading in Chief is written/optimized and as such you could find that some lower core count systems (say 8 versus 12) will deliver almost identical results. From my reading up on this it can be a bit erroneous to assume that one will obtain a lineal improvement as one increases the number of cores. Double the cores does not mean double the performance.

For those with true dual processor systems it would be very interesting to see the impact if one of the processors was disengaged.

Hope to see more result postings,

Graham

Graham,

To your point. What I can do is set my Raytrace CORE usages to 24 (Dual E5.2620.V3) CPU's to 12 (Single E5.2620.V3) CPU.

24 cores (Dual CPU's) - 1:18 Minutes

12 cores (Single CPU) - 1:59 Minutes.

See attached Raytrace speeds.

post-5149-0-94711500-1433290252_thumb.jpg

post-5149-0-61035600-1433290254_thumb.jpg

Graham, There is a missing textures in your file I do not have

C:\Users\Graham\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X7 Data\Textures\Stainless Steel Library_Mick.zip#zip:Shiny Stainless.jpg which don't have. I searched and cannot locate it on my system so I can only assume it is a personal added Texture.

Thanks,

Hi Scott those textures are from a library I posted  last year in the symbols Forum here

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2563-stainless-steel-and-other-metals-add-yours-please/?hl=%2Bstainless+%2Bsteel

Mick.

Concerning all those missing textures from the plan I uploaded. Was an error on my part when downloading the original plan. For some reason the texture.zip file ended up in another download folder. I will resend the plan with all of the textures file included.

Mick - Thank you for sharing those stainless steel textures. They work very well.

Graham

Graham,

To your point. What I can do is set my Raytrace CORE usages to 24 (Dual E5.2620.V3) CPU's to 12 (Single E5.2620.V3) CPU.

24 cores (Dual CPU's) - 1:18 Minutes

12 cores (Single CPU) - 1:59 Minutes.

See attached Raytrace speeds.

Hi Scott - Those great numbers are very likely a very good indicator of the multi-tasking capability of your system. Not much degradation even though you have halved the core usage. This is one of the major features of the Xeon processor family, they are designed for use in servers.

With that level of headroom you would be able to run some other heavy-duty applications with a Raytrace running in the background without any sense of lag at all.

Graham

Graham,

At 25 cores the cpu's are running at 100% so, my logic is to set the default to 20 cores allowing me ample power to multi task with very little Degregation of my system. Short of portability of my system between work locations, I am more than pleased with the investment. She rocks!!!!!

Scott - I would first let it have all the cores and see how things go. If when running other applications you notice some lag then you can start reducing the cores one at time until you find that sweet spot. Don't worry about the 100% these processors are designed to run flat out all the time. When you assign all of the cores what you are really telling the processor is, if there is available power then use it. The internals will take care of the interrupt management when other programs require some of the processor resources. Most of the lag occurs when two many programs are sending two many interrupts and the processors has to spend too much time reorganizing the flow of instructions through the cores. However, as said before those Xeons are designed specifically to handle this type of situation.

As my friends & I always said back in the 70's "put the pedal to the metal".

Graham

I have all my cores set to RT and don't see any slow down doing other operations other than the sound gets wonky when I'm watching cat videos while doing a RT. Tried using fewer cores and only noticed slightly slower RT times, but no real improvements in the rest of Chief's operations.

Here are my core numbers for 10 passes.

Intel 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz

4 Cores - 9 minutes 30 sec

3 Cores - 12 minutes 23 sec

2 Cores - 18 minutes 27 sec

On my system if I reduce the available cores to half my Raytrace time doubles.

Graham

Very interesting Graham. I've got a Q6600 on an older machine and remember when it was the bomb, now it's more like a bomb.

Just tested on a random RT with the Xeons, not the previous test RT.

12 cores 4:46

24 cores 3:30

That processor has Intel's Turbo Boost as the OC mechanism.  Like most laptops, that is the only overclocking you're going to get.  Most; not all.

Generally, as Larry mentioned, DIY overclocking is a good way to fry your hardware (it's why Intel sells OC insurance now).  Certain vendors are very, very good with "safe" OC on available CPUs & GPUs.  Boxx, Maingear, and Digital Storm are the best within their price range, but for entirely different configuration scenarios.

jon