Processor Core Usage In Chief ?

TheKitchenAbode

For those of you who care. the E5.2620 v3's are running 33C at idle and 45c and full X7 render mode. The attached was a sample test render.

Perhaps Doug could set us up with a benchmark file with preset Camera and layer settings for to compare and contrast.

Attached:

HIGH QUALITY - INDOOR

1781 x 805 @ 300 DPI

nearly 16 passes in 0:16:55

post-5149-0-20828400-1431983047_thumb.jpg

post-5149-0-24017000-1431983048_thumb.jpg

Speccy will give much more detail on the CPU core functions than either Task Manager or Resource Monitor.  Speccy is an invaluable tool to check operational specification vs. expected/published specification on newly built systems.

Meanwhile, MS Resource Monitor allows "live" service, handle, and module granularity of processes using the CPU(s). 

jon

Scott, try stressing the system.  Add > 20 various light types (point, spot, directional, UDL, fixture, sunlight) and ray trace an image at least 12"x12" @ 300dpi.  Both interior and exterior cameras.  If you're still getting approx. 1min per pass, then I would say the system is a rock star.

jon

I heard somewhere to turn off everything anywhere that is not involved in the field of view to make faster render times.

True, but as a new system stress test, the above is what I use with ray trace.  A variety of materials and model types doesn't hurt either. (3D trees are always good as poly hogs)

jon

Graham,

Have you tried rendering an image of that size and resolution? I actually think it was pretty good given the parameters. Rarely, if ever, would I render something that large, but if need be I could live with those numbers.

Jon, what are your numbers?

Hi Scott - is this correct, on your first run you reported 16 passes in about 16 minutes. Now you are reporting 10 passes in 1:45. That's a very significant reduction in Raytrace time. Did you make other changes?

Graham

Graham I believe Scott's time is 1:45:00. 1 hour 45 minutes 00 seconds but can't really be sure.

Graham,

Have tried rendering an image of that size and resolution? I actually think it was pretty good given the parameters. Rarely, if ever, would I render something that large, but if need be I could live with those numbers.

Jon, what are your numbers?

Scott,

I think the last Raytrace time is really good, that equates to 10 sec per pass. Was just wondering how you got such a significant reduction compared to your first posted result that was around 1 minute per pass.

To level the playing field, and provide real-world hardware comparisons...

1. Download the Riverstone plan from CA
  2. Use all default settings for that plan
  3. Position the camera in the masterbathroom at X:507, Y:425, X:0 
  4. Leave all Light as the default (168 on + Sun)
  5. Select Final View with Shadows
  6. Select Indoor- High Quality Raytrace
  7. Launch Assistant
  8. Retain Aspect Ratio
  9. Screen size 1781 x 805
  10. 300 DPI
  11. Lots of Focal Blur
  12. No Caustics
  13. Run for no more than 1 hour

Post your Screenshot with Timecode at the bottom of the Screen.

Cheers!

To level the playing field, and provide real-world hardware comparisons...

1. Download the Riverstone plan from CA
  2. Use all default settings for that plan
  3. Position the camera in the masterbathroom at X:507, Y:425, X:0 
  4. Leave all Light as the default (168 on + Sun)
  5. Select Final View with Shadows
  6. Select Indoor- High Quality Raytrace
  7. Launch Assistant
  8. Retain Aspect Ratio
  9. Screen size 1781 x 805
  10. 300 DPI
  11. Lots of Focal Blur
  12. No Caustics
  13. Run for no more than 1 hour

Post your Screenshot with Timecode at the bottom of the Screen.

Cheers!

Scott there is no 'Indoor High Quality' Setting per se. There is one that comes stock with Chief but has been altered a lot in my usage. However within that setting are 'settings' that we could duplicate but we would need a screen shot of the settings your are using.

What setting is 'lots of focal blur'?

Also wouldn't running the RT for "no more than 1 hour" just give us an RT that ran for the same amount of time?

How about a number of passes instead? Then we could compare times instead of all having the same time?

Fear not ye mere mortals for we are not to be defeated today.

With just a few lighting tweaks.

10 passes 10:38 minutes/sec, that's about 1 minute per pass.

Intel 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz 4GB ram

For comparison the original without lighting tweaks took 54 minutes to make just one pass.

Graham

post-4793-0-77970500-1432062790_thumb.jpg

Graham,

What tweaks did you apply? The goal here is to determine the optimum settings in both CA and our respective Hardware to obtain maximum result. Post a screen capture before you stop the render so we can see the TIME, PASSES and SIZE from the bottom of the screen.

Beautiful image!!

Thanks,