Cabinet Toe Kick

JenniZ

Is there a way to recess one side of the toe kick when it isn't up against another cabinet? I have a cabinet next to a range and I want to recess the toe kick on the side opposite the range only. If I uncheck flat sides for toe kick in the cabinet modification box it recesses both sides.

Depending on how accurate you need your cabinet plans to be, you can...

Create a very thin cabinet next to the range (maybe 1/16" wide) with the standard toe kick.  Then the cabinet next to it should behave as you want.  Your dimensions might be a little funny though.  You could help address that by decreasing the size of the main cabinet by the same 1/16" (possibly even decreasing the size of the stile on the range side as well).  If your dimensions are rounded off to the nearest 1/4" it shouldn't matter too much.

You got me curious so I started messing around with it a bit. My conclusion...

I think the best solution is to do as I stated above and create a little skinny cabinet, suppress its label, don't include it in the cabinet schedule, and then simply put it on its own layer and turn that layer off.  Don't make any other adjustments.

Same thing at the range. I am not sure what you are doing (mostly because I am the only one posting any images and wondering why I would even bother doing that as no one but me and Micheal seem to care but I digress in a run on sentence that is not really even a sentence since it is supposed to be short aside thus the parentheses). Is the behavior I am showing what you want? If so, I did not do anything fancy. No additional skinny cabs.

post-170-0-92040700-1429671385_thumb.jpg

Decrease the cabinet height by 1/16" of an inch but keep the countertop at the same height. Basically the bottom of the cabinet is 1/16" off the floor where you would not notice and you're not increasing the width.

Although I prefer not to have recessed kicks on cabinet ends you can achieve your look by creating and placing a separate block on the floor the size and height of your desired kick. Take your base cabinet, remove the kick, adjust height accordingly and place on top. This process replicates the technique of building a separate kick platform first and then placing your cabinets on this platform. It's a bit of an old school technique, some installers liked this as they could level the kick platform in advance of cabinet placement. You can create you platform by using a simple shelf.

Graham

For quick I use Michaels method for this or clipped corners-but it's a pain during revisions.

For clipped corners Grahams method has the advantage in that it gives a better looking toe at the clip, a little easier for revisions. It is particularly useful IF you know you will need it ahead of time- set the cabinet defaults so all are above the floor- revise away- draw the toe last which can be a psolid or just a molding line.

If you use the platform method I & Mark have discussed above and the platform is created with a shelf, partition or as Mark suggested a molding line then you can also easily add decorative components such as moldings to the kicks.

Graham

You can already add moldings to the base cabinets through the cabinet dbx:

post-95-0-62466700-1429714423_thumb.png

post-95-0-57045400-1429714504_thumb.png

Robert, yes you are correct. I usually use the cabinet dbx add moldings feature for most of my kick decorations such as a decorative baseboard. Prefer this over a polyline molding as these can be a bit tricky to click on without a lot of tabbing or turning off layers.

Your method works perfectly well and I have had to do similar things in the past. I just prefer to avoid as much as possible having things hidden in the background.

Graham

I just prefer to avoid as much as possible having things hidden in the background.

Yes, I understand very well. I always forget what I've hidden and why. It's especially difficult for someone else in the office to pick up a project if a bunch of stuff is hidden.

One downside to the platform method to be aware of is that it may mess up your cabinet schedule.  Nothing wrong with the method and its how we still build euro style cabinets anyway, but its something to think about. 

Excellent point Michael - For the platform method you can still leave the kick on the cabinet to keep the overall height correct if need be. Depending upon the platform material used you may also need to exclude it from the material list. Every time we do something outside of Chiefs built-in functions you always need to keep in mind that there may be other undesirable consequences.

Graham