Joist Direction Line Problem

fangelo

Is anyone else having issues with labeling on Joist Direction Lines?   I have  1 3/4" x 11 7/8" I joist and the label says 2x12.

You got what I expected you would get.  It does not work as it should.  That is the best you will get at this time.  CA needs to fix this and I think they will,  possibly in X-8 or later.

You are doing nothing wrong.

I agree with Scott.  That tool is not very smart.

However, it is possible to use a macro to create labels for the joists & rafters that will give the correct information, including the exact width, depth, length and type of framing member.  The macro can be written so that if you are using dimension lumber it will still say 2x12 Joist but with I-Joists it will say 1-1/2" x 11-7/8" I-Joist

The macro would need to be specified as the Label for the Joists.  Justin has been doing some work with this in order to get even 2' lengths for his rafters.  The procedure is basically the same but the macro itself would need to be written differently.

IAE, this is a bug that CA should fix.

It shouldn't bee too difficult for them to use the same information to make the Joist Direction Line provide the correct information.

Glenn,

The problem is that for Imperial Units Chief rounds up to the common name size.  IOW, what we call a 2x6 is really 1.5" x 5.5".  That's fine for the Label when we're framing with Lumber - but not for I-Joists, LVL, etc.  That's why I created my macro - it differentiates according to the type of framing member.

Is anyone else having issues with labeling on Joist Direction Lines?   I have  1 3/4" x 11 7/8" I joist and the label says 2x12.

This has always been like that since they introduced the ability to depict I-joists (maybe 2002-2003?).  I'd like to say I'm surprised nobody on the board has commented on it in the past 12+ years.  I noticed the 1st day I checked the new I-joist feature as about 99% of my jobs are I-joists.

Not true,  it has been discussed and reported ad naseum.  It's just not fixed for some reason.

I must have tuned out previous concerns about this. 

In baseball turns the introduction of the I-joist all those years ago was 87 feet to the bag and they're still not there..........

Why........I think I'm turning into one of the resident curmudgeons.....

Joe, your Framing Line Label is great! It will be a huge help in being able to quickly add this  info to CDs.

The only problem I am encountering (like Scott in the other post) is that it does not seem to want to recognize i-joist??? Other types of framing, but not i-joist. I tried several different plans, but got the same result every time. Any idea why this might be? I know Scott thought it might be b/c he is on a Mac, but I am using a Windows machine. I have attached a plan where this is happening to see if it is, in fact, machine specific.

Thanks

post-571-0-73166500-1429623881_thumb.jpg

Framing Line Label.zip

Mick,

Turn of Grid Snaps when trying to connect the Arrow.  It seems that the TJI widths don't match the grids normally being used so the snap doesn't work.  The Arrow is snapping to a Grid instead of the Object.

Does not work for me.  I am getting Mickey's results.  Bottom line,  if I have to turn snaps off,  this is nonsense.  CA will fix this eventually

Scott,

Please post your Object Snap Settings in Preferences.  I have no problem snapping to I-Joists even with Grid Snaps On.  It's important that you be able to see the Object Snap Indicator when you hit the object.

Joe,   post what it should be and I will try again.  This is silly,  should the grid snaps be on or off.....  you say it works if they are on or off......  they do not work for me whether they are on or off.  Why do I have to do a rain dance to get this stuff to work?

OK. Turned off Grid Snaps and reset the Framing Line Label, but got the same response (see the first pic; even tried moving it around).

Next move: With the label still attached, I selected the i-joist and changed it to Framing (resized it) and the label immediately recognized it as 2X Floor Joist. (second pic)

Joe, I have attached my Object Snap settings.

post-571-0-22451400-1429625771_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-03475500-1429625784_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-91733000-1429625958_thumb.jpg

......Next move: With the label still attached, I selected the i-joist and changed it to Framing (resized it) and the label immediately recognized it as 2X Floor Joist. (second pic)

Good thinking Mickey,  I did the same and it recognized the 2x joist.  Confirming what you found.