Need Help From A Professional (Or At Least Someone Who Has Done This Before)

Daydream

Larry,

Don't even think about doing any Condo projects if you don't have insurance.  I won't do them anyway just because there is always going to be a lawsuit and you'll lose everything you own if you don't have a lot of coverage.  The same thing is true for most commercial buildings.

The insurance is one reason that Architects have to charge more.  We have to carry coverage on our projects well into the future and it's the client who is going to have to pay for it.

Trust me I get it Joe and have no interest in Condos or insurance. As soon as a condo project gets approved the documents for suing every sub involved come flying off the lawyers desks ready to be filed after the first rain and every window leaks. Been down that road.

Interesting Graham. As designers we can't even get any insurance like an architect or engineer can but if were licensed somehow? I wonder. I shudder to think as I carried huge liability insurance as a GC and never used the $300,000 costs for a single repair. Do NOT want to go down the insurance road again. Do they require you to carry ins. in Ottowa?

We ourselves do not take on this type of construction work as our focus is on residential cabinetry design/installation so I am not sure of the minimums a GC would require. However, just for this we need at least $1 million in liability for single residential occupancy work and $2 million liability for multi-occupancy or commercial. This also applies to all trades. It would not surprise me if this will be increased shortly as a tar paper bulldozer shack in Toronto is going for almost a million $ now. If we have a kitchen to do in a Condo tower we must submit proof of insurance & workman compensation to the board before they will even open the door.

I think the main issue for designers is that it does not have the same association power that the Architect and Engineering community has. Suspect there is might be some job protection going on there.

Graham

Larry,

Don't even think about doing any Condo projects if you don't have insurance.  I won't do them anyway just because there is always going to be a lawsuit and you'll lose everything you own if you don't have a lot of coverage.  The same thing is true for most commercial buildings.

The insurance is one reason that Architects have to charge more.  We have to carry coverage on our projects well into the future and it's the client who is going to have to pay for it.

I did hear that some custom home design/build firms set up a separate corporation for each project. The primary firm is just a holding company. Once the project is finished they shut it down to protect themselves against future claims. May not pass the ethical litmus test but it is legal.

Graham

I did hear that some custom home design/build firms set up a separate corporation for each project. The primary firm is just a holding company. Once the project is finished they shut it down to protect themselves against future claims. May not pass the ethical litmus test but it is legal.

Graham

Any good lawyer (oxymoron) ;) would pierce that scam in about a NY minute.

Go to the American Institute of Building Design website. They will have the guidelines for your state.  I join the organization 10 years ago. There are different levels in the organization.  Also they have Continuous Education seminars. Once you join, they will be a big help to you. Also, you'll probably need to join the International Code Council and get a Code Book.

www.AIBD.org

Hope this Helps!!

My advice is to get yourself a good structural engineer and work with them so they get to know you, and then they will stamp your plans (after they mark it up),for submission to the cities. I've been doing that for 40 years, never a problem.

My advice is to get yourself a good structural engineer and work with them so they get to know you, and then they will stamp your plans for submission to the cities. I've been doing that for 40 years, never a problem.

Great Advice - One person can't wear every hat in their business. Focus your skills were they are best suited and work with others to fill in the gaps. Even large engineering firms sub-out significant portions of their projects to others. Building a team of skilled resources is the best way to service your clients.

Graham

Daydream,

I don't know what information you're looking for it could go in one of two directions.  Are you looking for design instruction to be able to provide "design concepts" and not construction documents?  If you provide design concepts for a draftsman / designer to complete construction documents from your designs than I would take the suggestions of others who have posted suggestions regarding books and college courses on styles and designs.

If you are looking to provide construction documents to homeowners and builders on a professional basis I would suggest you start by either working for another designer or a builder.  Preferably a builder.  They will teach you the basics to keep you out of trouble and provide you with more experience. It will take awhile to acquire this knowledge not just months.  It sounds like you don't have the experience to know much if anything on how a house is actually built or structural loading paths.  If you don't know at least the basics of framing you'll quickly exhaust all of your opportunities in your area when word gets out your designs are "unbuildable".........  When I say word gets out I mean that when you design a project(s) the CD's will end up at a lumberyard(usually 2-3) for estimating / EWP design.  The salespeople, estimators and designers (EWP, roof truss, kitchen designer, window salesperson, etc.) will all critique your designs as far as code issues, specifications and structural possibility relating to their job.  Their word then travels amongst themselves and their other builder customers.  Never, ever underestimate the power of the lumberyard grapevine (I was an EWP designer for 4 years).

I'll give you a good analogy of "unbuildable".  I was a private pilot awhile back but that's all I was.  I am not an aeronautical designer.  I'm sure I could design a "very cool airplane that looks absolutely beautiful"........  I am also certain it would be a very large lawn ornament incapable of flight.... Take pains and do it right.  Don't run before you can walk so you don't become a lawn ornament designer. ;)

Thank you Larry Hawes

Your post was very helpful.

I have Chief Architect since I think 2010 and have updated 3 times.  I am considering updating to X7. It just looks soooo cool.  I have drawn all kinds of designs and my friends and family love them.  Lots of friends and family have used my designs for various projects.  I even won a contest once for a 12,000 sq ft commercial building.

This is my first opportunity to actually charge a customer and I am a little nervous,  I don't want to do anything that would be considered improper or illegal.  So I am trying to do my homework.

When I tried to find out about classes they kept referring me to interior design or something else equally wrong.

So thank you everyone who have given me some direction.

What you are expressing in this post appears to be different than your original post. Your first post indicates an interest in the build aspect while this post indicates that your skills/pride are in design. These are two distinctly different endeavors requiring equally important but different skill sets.

Design is a creative process, it focuses primarily on form & function, proportions, balance, surfaces, color and the likes to impart, express or encapsulate something within the structure or space that acts as a connection between it's human occupants and the inanimate materials around them. Every structure or space needs a soul, personality and individuality. This is the objective in designing.

The build aspect is the physical/mechanical process of assembling these inanimate materials in the order needed to permit the structures personality to emerge/come to life and to be sustainable throughout it's intended life (the structural part). This requires skill & expertise in material properties, assembly techniques/methods/order, site & trade management, time/scheduling management and cost & budget control.

The question to ask yourself is, within these two, where do your true skills and passion lie. Is it Design or Build? Successful people and business understand this and focus on what they do best.

Graham

Here is the business and profession code in California.

http://wp.aibdca.org/business-and-professions-code-section-5535-5538/

Very Interesting, did a quick read. Looks like there are a significant number of limitations. Basic wood frame construction using only well established construction methods & materials. Nothing deemed commercial work except maybe in an agricultural situation. Requires you to "sign" everything and there is a duty of care clause "Responsible Control" which appears to require you to perform your duties in the same manner and care as that to which an Architect is required.

Appears that a County or Jurisdiction in which a permit is to be issued could require something more stringent than the State.

It really appears that it is primarily intended to cover renovation & repair work with some options for a homeowner who desires to build the own home.

Thanks for Sharing,

Graham