Where Do I Start?

For "simple" drawings you can start with Home Designer Interiors, Suite or Architectural which all have the ability to draw simple floor plans and 3D modeling (all under $200.00 each)

Home Designer Pro allows for laid out printing up to 18" x 24" paper or PDF and has more sophisticated tools for creating roof designs (($495.00) See the Home Designer website for more details

Then there are Chief Interiors and Chief Lite at 1,500.00 each (see the Chief Architect website - products for more info)

Then Chief Premiere at $2,600.00 which can do it all

You can download tree trial versions of the above software and see for yourself what is available.

DJP

Hi John,

As David stated, there are multiple titles--which is best for you depends on what you want to do.

Do you want the 3D modeling capabilities so you can visualize your design (Essentials, Interiors, Suite, Architectural), or do you also want to create detailed construction documents showing the structural components of the project so you can create a detailed building plan (Professional, Chief Architect X7)?

If you could take a few minutes to call our Sales Department we'd be happy to hear about your project and let you know which product(s) will do what you want. Our toll-free phone number is (800)482-4433.

Thanks,

Mark

Here is some good information that might help you choose the right product to start with:

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/product-chooser.html

Here is some good information about upgrade pricing and any discounts/rebates:

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/discounts/

If you have any other questions, feel free to call our sales department.

• 2 months later...

You wouldn't be able to open the Plan file again without Chief , so you would need to print everything to PDF before your Rental was up ,or rent for another month so you could print or make changes to the plan.

For the price of a 1 month rental you could buy Home Designer Architectural instead, get the Free Trial version and try it perhaps?

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/home-designer-architectural/

M.

• 8 months later...

Unless you actually know what you are doing, buying a cad program is risky at best. 

As a former Vocational Technical Instructor and Architectural Designer with roughly 39 years of experience, do it the right way. 

PLAY with the cheaper software but PAY a professional to do the design, drafting & construction documents. 

CAD software does not make you a knowledgeable, skilled & able  Architectural Design Drafter or Architect.

I do a lot of projects for people who bring me their cad renderings and floor plans that give me some idea what they want but I still need to do it all over to be sure it is done correctly.  Sadly they get mad when I tell them that it will take me 20 to 40 hours to create the total CD set.  "Can't you just use the software to give us an idea?".  Sure I can.  And at the first sign of problems, guess who you will want to sue.

So, like I said, go PLAY with the cheaper version but PAY an experienced, knowledgeable, skilled & able Architectural Design Drafter or Architect.

In my humble opinion.   

And John, just a fair warning, don't use the word Architect unless you are one.  The State Architectural Registration Boards throughout the US have jurisdiction to actually fine you if you use the title or hold yourself out to anyone that you are an architect.

Just a polite fair warning.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased HD Pro and really like its functionality but as soon as my contractor started giving me more work I switched to CA Premier as it gives me a lot more options including having multiple layout pages.  I got the $500 discount for upgrading.

I'm urging my contractor to get the basic program as he lays out the houses on some cheap CAD software that takes time to convert.

Alan

Hi Mini......

there are two things your are thinking of investing... one is money... and the other is time

if you are willing to invest the time... then you are PROBABLY better off with Premier

there is a long history of  some people buying Chief for a one-off project and then selling their license here ... there is a transfer fee

that has to be paid.. but it is legal to sell as long as the transfer fee is paid

who knows... you may find that you become proficient enough and enthused enough that you will want to continue designing with Chief after your project is completed

And John, just a fair warning, don't use the word Architect unless you are one.  The State Architectural Registration Boards throughout the US have jurisdiction to actually fine you if you use the title or hold yourself out to anyone that you are an architect.

Just a polite fair warning.

I think he stated he wasn't an Architect. He might be talking about "Chief Architect" in he listed name. I wonder how Chief gets away with that? Software Architect, there are a lot of other uses of for the word Architect.

• 5 years later...

First of all the program that you choose should be based on a couple issues ,  1 : Cost is a big thing , all the versions have different costs related to each program .  2 ; Do you intend to use it many more times ? or just for one project ? Home pro is a excellent program for average people ! Chief  Premier  &  Chief interiors are  very professional & advanced with multiple functions . Being computer savy is a very important issue with most of the advanced programs . Try the  Home  pro  version  as a free download & see what YOU THINK