Manually frame cathedral ceiling. How?

GeneDavis

I've a room with no ceiling specified, and have placed 4:12 pitch ceiling planes to make a vaulted ceiling.  The 7:12 roof is a few feet above.  I want to frame this ceiling.

Ceiling joists are not working.  They do not pitch at the required 4:12.  Roof rafters won't work, as they want to track the roof above.

What to do here?  I can make p'line solids and call them ceiling joists, layer control, etc.  Is that what I have to do?

• Downvote 1

Glenn, the ceiling frame popped in when I auto-framed roofing.  It did not frame when I auto-framed ceilings.  And as I said, when trying to manually draw a ceiling joist for the inside vault, the joists laid flat and did not pitch.

So, not knowing the ceiling would auto-frame with roof framing, I went ahead and created joists with p'line solids and called them ceiling joists with layer ID.

I noticed the auto-built joists in the ceiling, doubled onto the ones I manually built, when I zoomed in on the 3D framing overview.  I deleted the auto-built ones, having already sized and placed my p'line solid ones.

Two pics attached, one shows the ceiling frame, the the other shows the whole array of framing, roof over ceiling.  I'll edit it all down to get close to reality now.

post-55-0-43529300-1395587623_thumb.png

post-55-0-76748300-1395587651_thumb.png

Gene,

Framing the ceiling planes should work.

It would help if you posted a plan.

Glenn,  it is too much trouble to post a plan.  I think it saves the OP a lot of time if it is YOU that muddles through his question without a plan.  I just don't get why people are so inconsiderate.  They expect help but they will not make it easy for you.

What is really interesting is when you suggest that they post a plan to help you answer their question,  they ignore the suggestion and then ask another question.  I just don't get it.  I  have decided to ignore these inconsiderate people......  except to stress their rudeness.  

My mother use to say, if you can't say a ................  Darn!  What was it she used to say?

Gene:

I just did a test and I could get Chief to generate vaulted ceiling joists in a simple ranch plan with a 4:12 vaulted ceiling and an 8:12 roof over it.  I am not sure if there's a particular order of how it should be done but you might want to experiment a little for the next time you have to do this.

Look, it's simple.  I did not post the plan because I did not think it was necessary.

I thought ceiling framing generated with the FRAMING>FIRST>BUILD CEILING FRAMING command.  That command builds the ceiling framing, but as I found out, not for user-built ceiling planes.

The user-built ceiling frames frame when the FRAMING>ROOF>BUILD ROOF FRAMING command gets checked.

With roofs.

Simple.  Done.