Help: Gable wall disappears with Cathedral ceiling

BeeoHat

Go to solution Solved by dshall,

As shown in image 6, my family room has a cathedral ceiling. When I unselect "ceiling over this room", the gable wall extension disappears in 3D view, as shown in image 5 (exterior) and image 6 (interior wall). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

post-567-0-88365100-1395504720_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-91379700-1395504731_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-96759400-1395504739_thumb.jpg

yes, the floor camera.

Well then, that's your problem.

The gable wall is on the upper floor and won't display with the Floor Camera - which will only display items on the floor the camera is on.

You need to use the Full Camera and not the Floor Camera.  

Thanks, glennw. The inside gable does show up when I use the Full Camera, but the surface material of the gable is the exterior siding on the second floor. Can I fix this?

Think about it.  How would you change it?  What is defining the material?  Probably via the wall definition.  Maybe change the material on the wall?

That's the problem, Scott. The inside gable end of the cathedral ceiling has no supporting wall underneath. I even tried placing another interior wall there, make it a "full gable wall", and check it as "balloon through ceiling", same as I did for the opposing exterior wall. But it still showed up with the exterior siding showing. Any other ideas?

Scott, I already posted the plan, above.

Perry, your suggestion "almost" has the problem solved. As shown in the attached image, the gable wall now shows the flooring layer on the second floor. Maybe that's as good as I can hope for??? :(

post-567-0-60477400-1395589208_thumb.jpg

Perry, your suggestion "almost" has the problem solved. As shown in the attached image, the gable wall now shows the flooring layer on the second floor. Maybe that's as good as I can hope for??? :(

Yes you did post the plan  my apologizes.  I will do a quick vid.  These type of issues are always learning lessons for me.  Thanks for the question,  give me 30 minutes.  BTW,  don't get fooled by Perry,  he knows every bit if not more than I.

• Solution

Here is a vid,  can't explain it,  took me forever to fix it the first time  (if I did fix it),  but it is fixed.  Stupid vid,  a waste of time,  should not of taken as long as it did,   but if it helps out Beeohat,  it was worth the time.

http://youtu.be/RMIqCPx7qdY

Beeohat,  if it is any consolation to you,  I too had a problem with the plywood sticking through the wall.  I struggled with it for a long time.  And then suddenly it fixed itself.  I can't explain it.  If you still can not fix it,  please  post the plan again and I will look at it again.  I am very curious as to why it took me so long to fix it the first time.

....  so I am at work,  deep in concentration,  trying to put together some plans of an existing structure that I have not seen first hand,  no pictures,  some sketches on a napkin when Lynn calls and says,  "okay honey,  I'm off to see the Grandkids,  I'll be back Tuesday",  quickly I try to pick up on what she is trying to tell me,  Grandkids?  Which ones?  The ones in Idaho or the ones 30 miles North in Fallbrook,  as I am trying to get my wits about me she say,  "  you remember,  I told you I would not be back until Tuesday night".

It must be the Fallbrook Gkids,  she goes to see the Idaho Gkids  in 3 weeks,  a week before we take the trip across the pond.  "Okay Babe,  you have a good time,  tell them I will miss them,  I am sure they will miss me",  she chuckles,  they barely know I am alive.  

I swear,  I think she said something at  one time about seeing the Gkids,  but I thought that was for a couple of hours,  I did not realize she was moving out for 2 days.  Do you guys ever here the immortal words,  "Remember Honey,  I told you about this 3 weeks ago?".

In the 19 years I have been with Lynn,  I have finally learned to act like I remember all the stuff she tells me.  

I always try to  put a positive spin on these situations......  you think I am eating Medifast for the next two days?  I think not,  I'm off to the RBI for some real food.

I get that crap all the time, she remembers stuff I did, that I would never do, but she is very convincing. She's like the DA and I break in the cross examination. Penny can also remember things 40 years ago, I'm always just dead meat in these things. Sometimes I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Have a great trip Scott, I know right now your trying to finish projects before you go. When you go places for a week or 2, do your clients ***** at you like mine do. They never want me to vacation.