Square Footage Doe's Not Add Up Right

builtright3

I usually get the correct s.f. on my plans, I use the room finish schedule for that. Sometimes it might be off a couple of s.f. but ,never a problem with any cities, and I've been doing it a long time. It would be nice to get it exactly right, but until its fixed, not a problem for me. I charge by the s.f. so you would think I would complain about it more.

See post #17

In X7 the Standard Area of a Garage is calculated to the center of surrounding walls.

For other Room Types the Standard Area is calculated to the outside of Exterior Walls and the center of shared walls. 

The Interior Area is calculated to the inside face of the walls.

Living Area (Inside Exterior Room) is calculated to the Exterior Framing Layer of everything except Garages, Decks, Porches & Courts - unless you specify any of those as "Include in Living Area.

I have been doing some extensive work using some Ruby macros to put all of this together so I can automatically add all of this notation to my Plan Data in my Layouts.  It is all accurate - I've checked Chief's values with close Polylines and have absolute faith in the values Chief reports.

Always wondered about this calc and now I REALLY wonder about this calc. Why and when is a 20 ft. x 20 ft. room not 400 SQ? How is Chief calculating square footage. I simply do not understand.

http://www.screencast.com/t/GXZH4LlliW

Larry, In my 40 years of drawing ,I have never used outside of stucco for any measurement's, around here the cities want stud to stud.

change the actual room def to garage instead of just writing the words and the result is much different

Chief's "room types" have meaning to the software

and will cause different behaviors

Chief's "room labels" have no meaning to the software

Lew

Larry, In my 40 years of drawing ,I have never used outside of stucco for any measurement's, around here the cities want stud to stud.

Around here the realtors and marketing types want measurements to the exterior face of the most exterior finish material per the ANSI standard; it allows them to use larger (though deceptive) values for square footage.

I would tell those realtor's , not happening.

Why not? Do you have an ethical objection? It's an accepted, published standard within that industry. And I'd be willing to bet it's how your city assessor figures your property taxes.

I don't doubt that at all. But we each have a different experience of course. I haven't been able to do an as built by measuring to the studs but I guess one could estimate where the studs are and use that as a measurement. Like I say we each have a different experience and I'm sure yours is valid for your purposes but I actually have a city I do work for that includes the following as a required note. 

YARD SETBACKS ARE TO BE MEASURED FROM THE EXTERIOR WALL FINISH TO THE PROPERTY LINE AND NOT FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE FOOTING (OR FACE OF STUDS). THE PLANS MUST BE DESIGNED WITH THE WALL FINISH THICKNESS(i.e. 7/8" STUCCO, ETC.) ADDED TO THE PLAN FOR THE SETBACK MEASUREMENT. THE FIELD INSPECTOR WILL ADD THE PLANNED WALL FINISH THICKNESS TO THE FOUNDATION SETBACK. IF THE WALL FINISH IS TO BE CHANGED AFTER THE PLAN APPROVAL, THE EFFECT ON MEETING THE SETBACK REQUIREMENT MUST BE CONSIDERED TO GET THE CHANGE APPROVED BY CITY COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT.

I don't doubt that at all. But we each have a different experience of course. I haven't been able to do an as built by measuring to the studs but I guess one could estimate where the studs are and use that as a measurement. Like I say we each have a different experience and I'm sure yours is valid for your purposes but I actually have a city I do work for that includes the following as a required note. 

YARD SETBACKS ARE TO BE MEASURED FROM THE EXTERIOR WALL FINISH TO THE PROPERTY LINE AND NOT FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE FOOTING (OR FACE OF STUDS). THE PLANS MUST BE DESIGNED WITH THE WALL FINISH THICKNESS(i.e. 7/8" STUCCO, ETC.) ADDED TO THE PLAN FOR THE SETBACK MEASUREMENT. THE FIELD INSPECTOR WILL ADD THE PLANNED WALL FINISH THICKNESS TO THE FOUNDATION SETBACK. IF THE WALL FINISH IS TO BE CHANGED AFTER THE PLAN APPROVAL, THE EFFECT ON MEETING THE SETBACK REQUIREMENT MUST BE CONSIDERED TO GET THE CHANGE APPROVED BY CITY COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT.

The setbacks around here are never measured from the finish and never has. And I have done work in 50 cities.

I'm glad you confirmed that Perry. I thought maybe I was loosing my mind! Well actually I think I am loosing my mind, I have to write everything don't or I will forget walking from one room to the other. :wacko:

The Local City Explained It This Way:

The set backs in CA is because of fire. 10' in between structures which would be 5' on either side of the property line. Its figured to the framing because stucco is not flammable. So if it was wood siding than the set back is to the siding. 

Wow, it just goes to show, there is no standard nation wide. Larry is just an hour drive from me. Recently a new code surfaced that if your eaves are within 5' of the sideyard they must be 1 hour construction. This is causing some problems with additions, but still measured to the stud.

The building still has to be 5 ft. but they sometimes will make us stucco under the eaves depending on the city and whose doing the inspections. The inspectors so far hasn't enforced it. Same thing with those damn humidistat exhaust fans. What a crock man! :angry:

Sorry you guys are me getting started. I think some of these codes are stupid.

The setbacks around here are never measured from the finish and never has. And I have done work in 50 cities.

Perry, a kind and courteous "So what?" There's a city here in the San Diego area (Coronado) that insists that setbacks are measured from the finish as the attached note indicates. I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just sayin' there's differences in different cities and peoples' experiences.

I just always design so that there are about 3-6 inches for setback.  It's inevitable that the construction will be off a bit and who needs the hassle.

Of course. Always a good practice BUT - we've had inspectors insist on a survey to confirm setbacks even when given some 'breathing room' to the set back.

EDIT: Mostly because fence lines are almost never right on the PL and the inspector can use his judgement to make the call for a $1500 survey.

So I'm not going crazy after all! You guys confirmed that they (code enforcers) keep changing the rules and make them up as they go along. Day by day and minute by minute. Depends on who you talk to and what kind of day their having and/or what instructions their following. Cal code, city code, local code, street gang code........