Foundation Design Vs Basement Design

tri-an_design1

Hi Everyone,

I have a question if this is possible to do.

I am in the process of completing a project with a walkout basement. The basement is finished and in detail with a variety of notes and dimensions. Half of the walls in the basement design are pony walls which lower level of wall is concrete and the upper half is stud wall. However, I require a foundation design for the foundation contractor just showing the concrete with associated notes and details. The reason for the separate design is that portions of the plan the concrete walls vary height in certain areas includes stepped foundation.

My question is "Is there a way to send the basement drawing to layout and just showing the concrete only with associated notes for foundation only without changing the basement drawing"?

Let me know if this is possible.

Tony DaSilva

Tri-An Design and Construction Inc.

there have been two schools on this issue

some recommend using floor 0 for basement and foundation

some recommend using floor 0 for foundation and floor 1 for basement

each has pros and cons and over the last decade the "debate" has never been "settled"

CA's videos and such usually show floor0 having both foundation and basement

others will chime in with their solutions/suggestions

Lew

Perry that blanket statement can be confusing. I can count on one hand how many basements in the 10 + years I have placed on level 1. Why is your method better than mine? We don't build the same way here, and my guess is Mass is closer to my construction techniques than yours. I would tell him....hands down...why my method is better than yours.

Perry that blanket statement can be confusing. I can count on one hand how many basements in the 10 + years I have placed on level 1. Why is your method better than mine? We don't build the same way here, and my guess is Mass is closer to my construction techniques than yours. I would tell him....hands down...why my method is better than yours.

Joey,

The reason we put basements on Level 1 is that the are almost always "Walk-Out" here and inevitably have some walls that are full height studs, some with a combination of Stem Walls and Stud Walls, and sometimes full height Stem Walls.  Beneath all of that is a concrete "Foundation" and Slab.  It's much easier to separate the "Living Space" from the "Foundation" by using Level 1 for the Basement.

Often, the Basement is only a portion of the 1st Floor area, so we have Foundation that extends beyond the area of the Basement itself and forms a Crawl Space beneath the rest of the house.

In reality, it would be nice if Chief would add additional Levels below Level 1 and the Foundation.  They already have an "Attic Level" between the Top Floor and the Roof.  Basement Levels between the Foundation and the First Floor would make it much easier to identify and Label the various Plans.

Both methods work, like a lot of things in Cheif there are more than one way to achieve something.

It all comes down to the method of construction in your neck of the woods. and what your plan checkers want to see on each plan.

As Lew said this debate has been going for years, and possiblly will never be agreed upon by all.

Jay

I always show it on level 0.  If you show it on level 1 then the model isn't correct.  I assign all interior walls a different layer and turn them off for the foundation contractor.

Jay,  Can you explain this statement?  In what way is the model incorrect if the the basement is on Level 1 and the floors above are on Levels 2,3,etc.?

I always show it on level 0.  If you show it on level 1 then the model isn't correct.  I assign all interior walls a different layer and turn them off for the foundation contractor.

Jay, putting the basement on level 1 lets you provide a clean foundation plan, without having to turn on and off any layers.