Holy Moly, Google Earth And Big Brother, I Had No Idea......

dshall

I am looking for someone who would be willing to spend 30 minutes on a GOTOMEETING to show me what  you know about GOOGLE EARTH.  

Two weeks ago I was able to peak into a window and see a women BAKE A CAKE,  today,  I can not even see the windows.  I am a bit confused as to what happened.  Does anybody who knows a lot about GOOGLE EARTH have time to do a GTM with me?

If you have time, please email me at dscotthall@mac.com

I give up.

Are you running google earth "pro".

They were giving away free licenses for a while.

I find it pretty awesome some of the things you can do.   On lots with aggressive TOPO (say on a lake), I import the terrain to do lot studies.   Sure not as accurate as a field measure, but it can get you started for sure.   

back around 2007 we did a project in CO from VA

we used google earth to show how the house would sit amongst the mountains and valleys

and the views from the various windows

we messed with it a few times after that

but so much has changed since then

I'm hoping to use to show the views from my ancestors lighthouse tower that

was at the brink of Niagara Falls from 1833-1873

and the tourist elevator at the Niagara Whirlpool from 1869-1901

Lew

Hey guys,  this is some good stuff,  I just spent some time with Jared B. discussing google earth.  Thanks so much for your time JB,  a lot of help. And I think there is more info that some of us knuckleheads could glean from this site.  Let's keep sharing this info,  this is great stuff.

-  Topo lines,  it looks like Jon Scussel provided a link on the methodology,  I will look into this

-   what about plat maps,  does anybody know how to get plat maps out of google earth?

I hope to do a vid to summarize all this stuff once I think I have enough info.  If there is anybody out there who is a super star with google earth pro,  maybe we could team up and do a vid for the rest of the guys.

Jon, I don't have the topo info in my google earth pro, do I need to download something?

Yes.  There is a link highlighted in the picture and it will download a layer that can be imported into GE.  From there you can change the transparency on the topo layer that was imported.  It only shows a large area, so it is difficult to get individual parcel topos I believe.  But others may have better luck than me on it.

To load into Google Earth:  Click on the link Jon provided, select "Open in Google Earth". 

To save:  Within GE "Places" directory, left side of the app (in my ver.) right click on "Earth Point Topo Map" and select "Save to My Places" 

To adjust opacity:  Directly below "Places" directory, at least in my app, there is a little magnifying glass icon and another (that is supposed to indicate opacity within a rectangle).  With Earth Point Topo Map selected within Places above, click the rectangle and you can adjust opacity.

I couldn't figure out how to download it.  Guess I am dumb.

I could not get it to download also.   JB set me straight,  there was some kind of trick that JB helped me with.  Come to workshop and I bet JB can help you out before we start workshop.