Rich Text Vs Regular Text

builtright3

I trying to get straight in my head the difference between rich text and regular text (when and when to use them). I understand that they both have there different functions but I get confused as to which one to chose at times.

Can someone give some examples how you use them? I'm also in the process of setting up annotation sets and that is what started this question. I want to set up the text to what I would use the most.

I hope this question makes sense. Let me know if you don't understand it.   

I tend to use plain text for everything that I can.  Plain text has the advantage of updating automatically to a new size, color, or font, when I change it's characteristics in text stile of the layer display control.  I can auto update the size of my text and dimensions if I change scale.  This can't happen when I use rich text. 

Rich text has more formatting options; for example it allows me to have  different fonts, sizes, or colors within the same text box. 

I noticed that the leader line with text uses the Rich Text which is used a lot with Me.

One of the tings that confused me a little bit is that Cheif has the default Rich Text set at 30" and rgeular text at 12" and 6" depending on scale. Was wondering what the intended use of 30" text was when they set that up?

Check which annotation set you have active when you create your text. It may be that the Rich Text you created was done using an annotation set designed for a different scale. You should look through the text styles in defaults and become familiar with what is there. Also become familiar with the annotation sets that are there and which text styles are being used.

You can set up your leader line to use Simple Text if you want in Preferences>Appearance>Text.

I tend to use plain text for everything that I can.  Plain text has the advantage of updating automatically to a new size, color, or font, when I change it's characteristics in text stile of the layer display control.  I can auto update the size of my text and dimensions if I change scale.  This can't happen when I use rich text. 

Rich text has more formatting options; for example it allows me to have  different fonts, sizes, or colors within the same text box. 

Funny, I always use rich text, except for room labels. I am able to change the size color and font in the text style of the layer display, not sure if I understand you correctly.

I've opted for Plain Text use, sometimes (not always?) using Rich Text the text does not play nice with the text box itself, or doesn't always resize, or something along those lines--it's been awhile since it came up and 'I switched'.   Btw, that's using X5, have to find the time to download and install/ migrate to X7.