Stair Rail On Top Of Wall

ericepv

Go to solution Solved by Bill_Emery,

I am trying to create a railing that sits on to of the support wall next to the stairway (see photos) rather than on the stair treads. I have tried using a half wall (as a railing) and also a full wal (as in the attached plan) but can't get the rail on top of the wall which follows the slope of the stairs. I also am getting an opening in the ceiling surface above the stair support wall.

post-1797-0-42051500-1428082675_thumb.jpg

post-1797-0-38124800-1428082747_thumb.jpg

post-1797-0-76064200-1428082808_thumb.jpg

Take an elevation view. Draw polyline solid with a slope matching the stairs and move into position.

Do another for the wall cap with the desired thickness, say 1" and change material as needed.

There may be another method but it eludes me at the moment.

jcaffee - That video did the trick, it was easy but now I have a second newel post in the midle of the rail that showed up after I dragged out the length of the ramp to match my stair uonit. . Any idea of how to gid rid of it?

• Solution

Here's a different take on the railing over a wall.  It's done entirely with live walls, and live railings.  The method here is to use a double stair.  The stair is copied in place, and then made wider so the copied railing will come up thought the wall, while the original stairway remains in place to show the stringers.  The walls are adjusted in elevation, and then slid into place under the railing.  The method with the railing is to stay just shy of centered under the wall, or the stairs will cut the wall.

Having live walls allows the framing to be correct, and having live railings allows me change newel, baluster, and railing stiles easily.  It also allows me to easily edit the run and rise of the stairs as necessary.  I've not shown it here, but this method also allows the stair railing to connect with a mezzanine railing above.

The wider stairs that are used to show the railings are set to "back group" so they don't appear to cover the wall layers in plan view.

I've attached the plan if anyone wants to have a look.

post-62-0-51448400-1428217250_thumb.jpg

Live stairs 5.plan

• 5 months later...