molding hanging up raytrace X6

JasonParsons

I had this issue a few years ago with dentil molding, and coming across it now.  I have to recreate an existing kitchen that has a plate rail at the soffit.  I am using SR,CSR from Yorktowne's molding.  It freezes the raytracer  in X6.

My previous issue with the dentil molding was it created a large number of surfaces that consumed the raytracer.  The plate rail, I assumed would be no different than a rail with spindles (on a much smaller scale).  Anyone have any solutions besides creating 3ds symbols (last solution, and beyond my abilities).  Have to finish the project today.

For anyone looking to recreate it, make a room, add the molding referenced above and try to raytrace.

I don't know why a dentil molding would make the ray tracer that slow. Number of surfaces for ray trace should normally be a much lower impact on time than number of lights or number of pixels. It would be good to send your slow example to support so that we can have a chance to look into the cause as that doesn't sound like something that I would expect.

Is there a similar molding in a different catalog that you could use instead?...

Something with a smaller face count?...

Either that, or you could draw the molding profile and add it to the library?...or am I missing something?

I don't know why a dentil molding would make the ray tracer that slow. Number of surfaces for ray trace should normally be a much lower impact on time than number of lights or number of pixels. It would be good to send your slow example to support so that we can have a chance to look into the cause as that doesn't sound like something that I would expect.

Doug,  Still getting used to the new forum, I cannot find a way to attach a file in reply (only in a new thread).

If you make a rectangular room, add the molding SR,CSR from Yorktowne's catalog as a chair rail, and try to raytrace.  If you make a larger room 50', I get a warning before opening a render view that too many surfaces may affect 3d view.

the regular room (16x16) i had no lights to try to eliminate that aspect.

Doug,  Still getting used to the new forum, I cannot find a way to attach a file in reply (only in a new thread).

Jason, you need to click on the "More Reply Options" button in the

bottom right corner. From there you will be able to attach files.

post-126-0-19318100-1395463775_thumb.png