Selecting Exterior Walls?

Nicinus

I'm doing a number of design options on the same building and am trying to speed up my workflow. Would be grateful on some feedback on below questions:

1) Am I correct in that neither the Object Eyedropper nor Match Properties work on walls?

2) Is there a way to select only a certain wall type, or only the exterior walls?

3) Am I also correct in that there is no way to set a wall default and then have walls follow it if I change the default?

4) If I place all my exterior walls on a new layer (like 'Walls, exterior'), how can I select all objects on a layer?

I put my interior and exterior walls on different layers so I can quickly just show what I need for a quick change, if need be. It also helps for the site plan and roof plan when you just don't want the interior walls to show.

I put my interior and exterior walls on different layers so I can quickly just show what I need for a quick change, if need be. It also helps for the site plan and roof plan when you just don't want the interior walls to show.

Perry,

Do you copy your "walls normal" layer set and then mark the new copy interior or exterior to put them on separate layer sets?

Yeah, I actually do the same, but the only way I've found to easily select all my exterior walls seems to be to create a layer set that only shows them so that I can select them.

I don't understand why I can select the wall cabinet icon and then shift-select in order to only select wall cabinets, but if I select the interior wall icon and shift-select I get all walls, both interior and exterior. I would quite frankly prefer it the other way around, a way to select all cabinets and a way to select only exterior walls.

Am I to understand it that none of my four questions above are possible?

Perry,

Do you copy your "walls normal" layer set and then mark the new copy interior or exterior to put them on separate layer sets?

I set up what layer the walls go on in the defaults, new to x7 is that you can set default for walls

I'm doing a number of design options on the same building and am trying to speed up my workflow. Would be grateful on some feedback on below questions:

1) Am I correct in that neither the Object Eyedropper nor Match Properties work on walls? Yes

2) Is there a way to select only a certain wall type, or only the exterior walls? Yes if you use different layers like I said.

3) Am I also correct in that there is no way to set a wall default and then have walls follow it if I change the default? whatever wall you change the default to will follow the default

4) If I place all my exterior walls on a new layer (like 'Walls, exterior'), how can I select all objects on a layer? Use the all off layerset and turn on whatever layer your exterior walls are on.

3) Am I also correct in that there is no way to set a wall default and then have walls follow it if I change the default? whatever wall you change the default to will follow the default . Can you elaborate on that? How do I set a wall to always follow the default? Is there a default check box for wall type somewhere?

4) If I place all my exterior walls on a new layer (like 'Walls, exterior'), how can I select all objects on a layer? Use the all off layerset and turn on whatever layer your exterior walls are on. Well, that was certainly easier than my way of creating a separate layer set

Thanks, Perry!

I don't understand why I can select the wall cabinet icon and then shift-select in order to only select wall cabinets, but if I select the interior wall icon and shift-select I get all walls, both interior and exterior. I would quite frankly prefer it the other way around, a way to select all cabinets and a way to select only exterior walls.

We don't currently have any tools for selecting just interior or exterior walls or selecting walls by wall type.  These both might make good suggestions though.

As for cabinets, if you are in full height cabinet mode, marquee select will allow you to select all cabinets.

We don't currently have any tools for selecting just interior or exterior walls or selecting walls by wall type.  These both might make good suggestions though.

As for cabinets, if you are in full height cabinet mode, marquee select will allow you to select all cabinets.

Thanks Dermot, good to know.

Many entities can selected this way.. just not walls..