Hello Agan And X7 Basement Wall Question

TennVol

Hello all -

Been away from Chief for a few years, but now getting back into it.  I had v10 on an XP machine, but have a newer computer and now onto X7.  Some things change, some not so much.  As I'm finding the new things, I am liking them.  One of the nice things is elevations in layout don't seem to have a bunch of extraneous lines to clean up, like in v10. That's was always a time killer for sure.

That being said, Chief still has it's quirks, so I've got some new ones to figure a way through or around  :)  I'm sure it's me not doing something right (right being defined as exactly how Chief wants it, that is).  I have generated a basement foundation from the 1st floor, and it behaves ok, but when I draw interior walls for rooms (and yes, I checked the structure settings), they extend up into the first floor area, even though there is a floor there. I also assigned the basement a "utility" designation before drawing the interior walls so it knows it's a "room". Seems like dividing the area up with interior walls would key from the room designation and structure settings. Having a hard time figuring why the walls are projecting up like that.

The second thing related to the basement is one wall will be fully exposed with a french door out to a lower patio area. I need to show that as a framed wall rather than block. When I change the wall type from what was generated, it leaves a small horizontal gap (a few inches) between the top of that wall and the bottom of the one above in 3D and elevation views.  F12 didn't help. Not sure what's going on, but I remember not to be pulling walls up or down in elevation view.  I'm sure that hasn't changed.  

Anyway, glad to be back and looking forward to ramping up with X7. 

TV, Assign the basement room as a "garage" instead of a "utility" and see if this helps?

For more advanced tricks and workarounds try and ask Joe Carrick the 3d Chief Master or Jim Laws the Chief Master 3d Model Clean up checker.

Have fun!

the thin gap sounds like the sill plate area? have you built your framing yet?

no pics or plan TennVol  check out my  post here , 2nd 1/2 covers the attaching ,make sure plan is closed in Chief or it may post empty or not at all.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/221-how-to-take-pics-of-your-plan-to-post-here/?hl=pics

Question #1

Is your Basement Level 0 or Level 1?

Level 0 (IMNSHO) should only be used for the Foundation.  Use Level1 for the Basement, Level 2 for the First Floor, etc.

If you don't have a Basement you can use Level1 for the First Floor, etc.

Question #1

Is your Basement Level 0 or Level 1?

Level 0 (IMNSHO) should only be used for the Foundation.  Use Level1 for the Basement, Level 2 for the First Floor, etc.

If you don't have a Basement you can use Level1 for the First Floor, etc.

That's the way I see it also.

I'll try moving the floors so basement is floor 1. Don't recall needing to do that before though. I'll work on posting a pic when I get to my PC. Thanks. Gawdzira, did you get the file I uploaded earlier?

Here's an attempt at a couple of pics

post-5182-0-42594800-1427945430_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the garage and front porch floors are missing and the basement interior walls are protruding thru the 1st floor. Whether foundation has inteior walls or not, the 1st floor garage and porch floors are still gone. :angry:

post-5182-0-28869200-1427945471_thumb.jpg

Before adding the interior walls, (should be a simple, straight forward thing, right?), the whole basement footer is at the same elevation, even with the garage door.  But add the walls inside and the footer drops. I didn't tell it to do that. 

TennVol,

Your Plan is referencing files on the "F:" drive which means that I can't open it.

IAE, you need to understand that the foundation in Chief is actually one or more "Rooms" - at least that's how Chief deals with it.  The values for the floor elevations, ceiling heights, etc can get very confused when you try to use Level 0 as the Basement.  You would be much better off deleting the Foundation and making your Basement on Level 1.   Once you get everything to look right (correct floor and ceiling heights for all floors, the correct wall types, room names, etc) then build the Foundation.  It will be a lot easier than trying to do it as you are currently.

Had a quick look.....

The Family Room and Deck are the only Rooms at default Floor height of 0" on level 1

dining room ,Kitchen, living, pantry etc are all at -6"

Garage on level 1 is at -114"  which I think explains the walls ballooning up out of the basement

(you have a garage on level 0 too on opposite side of house,correct?)

Front Porch floor is visible to me.... so display setting perhaps? or you fixed it before posting plan?

The chimney isn't cutting thru the roof plane properly either , only the outer portion is...., look up past front porch and you will see what I mean.

There are also a number on misaligned walls you will need correcting , some need aligning to below ,some up ,some both ,so only you know which way is correct.

M.

Edit : I just hit canel when I saw a warning message that it was look for textures (I think)

This is what I mean by saying we need a Story Pole System to save us all this trouble so that we have a straight forward easy to follow system to build our house models with ease. Not all these work arounds. At least tech support could provide us a Video on the correct procedure on how to build multi level houses like this for now, till they get a chance to fix the program up so this can all be done with ease, if indeed the program code is to blame?

I use Flr1 for the 1st flr /main flr & the basement on Flr0 w/out any real problems; control what displays w/ layer sets.

Sounds like Jim is right about this since level zero according to Joe give us problems.

When houses have this level of mild complexity and being two story, I prefer other 3d CAD because I can control the floor and foundation levels without experimenting with DBX settings in trying to get the model right. Other CAD might take a bit longer to draw in but in the end it saves time from fighting the program over problems like this.

Oh yes, on single story homes and those with a subfloor or a basement then CA will suffice even with relative simple two story homes as well but when you get half or part levels I give up on CA.

BTW all you users who work hard and persist with work arounds till you get the model to work, well done for your work ethic and patience. I expected that and did that in V6 - V10.

Kbird - Thanks for the check. I had all the main floors set at 0 and did not change ANY of them, (at least not consciously anyway - frustrating).  I'll have to check the misaligned walls, as I generated the foundation from the floor above, as I did with the 2nd floor. I used snaps on the second floor interior walls with the lower level shown, to keep just this very thing from being a problem.  Go figure....

mthd97 - agree on the whole workaround thing and wishing for more of a straight forward process.  In my limited exposure to X7 so far, some things have definitely improved since v10, others kinda stay the same.  I just have to get better at it and "enhance my calm".   Be well   :-)

My guess is you originally drew the exterior walls , then enclosed the family room and deck at that end with interior walls an set their Room designations while doing so , then moved to the other end of the house and designated the remaining area as "Garage"  before you drew in the Garage interior walls , this would cause the entire area to drop to the minus 6" default for a garage room, after which you then sliced up the remaining area into kitchen,living etc , but that doesn't auto set the Floor back to 0" just cos it's a kitchen or living rm designation. Cant say why the 1st floor garage is at -114 though.... -14 perhaps ?

M.

The primary problem was that he had his default interior wall set to be a pony wall w/ the hgt of lower wall top set at something that forced the wall to build thru flr below. So all his interior walls were .......... Once I cleaned that up, aligned some walls flr2flr & corrected his room/flr elevations, the model cleaned up very nicely as far as walls, rooms, floors, & basement/foundation is concerned. Don't know if the pony walls caused the weird room/struc settings.

No Chief quirks requiring work-arounds; just user error.

No Chief quirks requiring work-arounds; just user error.

What specific training videos do you suggest we watch now so we get the correct model building proceedure to avoid the problems myself and others have been having like these Jim?

I really want to get this right so its not just user error?

Do you agree that it should be more simple?

I can get reasonbly complex models to work and have done so but not without work arounds and many adjustments, some that work and others that don't?

Taking layers out is something I avoid as other 3d views from different angles can be affected as well.

I guess I haven't got the time and patience or the gaming instinct to want to play lets fix up the 3d model so I can get recognition on Chieftalk?

I prefer simple straight forward methods that get the job done right with little fuss and frustration that's all.

I know 90% of the time I don't need to put in basements or stem walls just monoslabs and or on different levels. So probably other CAD suits me better in some instances when framing plans are not required of me.

Thanks for your input and experience in using CA as we all can benefit from it.

Basements ARE foundations. 95% of the homes I do have basements, and I have no issues at all with my basement being level 0. You slab guys out west are overthinking this. Layer sets can be used with no problem at all to differentiate between the foundation plan and the basement plan. The attached pics are of the same LEVEL 0 plan. Accomplished with layer sets.

post-70-0-18005300-1428258422_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-75869000-1428258428_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1