Chief X7 Running Slow In 3D

duckbill4375

I had a new computer built. The Computer Tech I used got on all the Forums and read as much as he could to figure out the best computer to build. He Built A Server Computer with 32 cores and a bunch of ram and a pretty good Video card. See the attachments for all the specs. Maybe the server computer was not the right direction to go. 

I also have this particular plan attached.  When I go from plan view to Full Camera View in the Kitchen it takes 12.41 seconds. When I put on a new paint color on one wall it takes 25.32 seconds. I just clicked on the baseboard and got that color and painted it on that one wall. I then went into edit and hit undo to see how long it would take to get that wall back to it's original color. It took 32.65 seconds to get that wall back to it's original color. I then painted that same wall that same baseboard color. I then went back to plan view and hit undo and it took 4 seconds to undo. I then went back into Full camera view to see if the undo worked and it did and it only took 4 seconds.

Chief's Tech Support told me to take all of the stone patterns off so in the Vector View you do not see all those individual stones. They said the the computer has to redraw all those patterns every time you do something in 3D. I tried that and it did not help any. I am stumped and my Computer Tech is stumped and I think Chief's Tech Support is also stumped. I am hoping it is something simple and I am just not seeing it. Maybe a bad symbol or something or a wrong setting somewhere.

Thank you, Bob

post-638-0-99761000-1427854867_thumb.png

post-638-0-59238800-1427854892_thumb.png

post-638-0-95692900-1427854929_thumb.png

post-638-0-80955200-1427854951_thumb.png

post-638-0-77552700-1427855012_thumb.png

post-638-0-18268400-1427855038_thumb.png

post-638-0-49308900-1427855078_thumb.png

post-638-0-58976500-1427855100_thumb.png

post-638-0-91006600-1427855139_thumb.png

post-638-0-28601500-1427855161_thumb.png

post-638-0-97161200-1427855235_thumb.png

Backup Plan.zip

The model is complex. Over 700,000 surfaces in 3D. Lots of patterns, but I don't think they are the main culprit. I was initially seeing very slow draw times in 3D. I turned off reflections in mirrors and shadows and then got reasonable performance. Sluggish, but not unexpected for such a complex model.

Took some advise from my son,

I added a "Solid State" hard drive to my computer and I run my operating system and Chief on it and put all my files on the regular hard drive. 

I'm no computer tech but the Solid State drive was the best thing I ever done. Windows system boots up in about 10 seconds and Chief runs like a top! So I put all my programs on the SS and I'm a happy camper!

Thank you for every ones input. I really do appreciate all the help I can get. I have 2 hard Drives. Each Drive is a  MKNSSDRE1TB. I have the programs on one drive and all my documents and data on the other drive. I even brought this particular plan back to the same hard drive I have Chief Architect on thinking that might have been the problem. It did not help.

I started a ticket with Chief Tech Support. I am working with Anne Smith. She said they are having some performance issues. Read the attachment. She removed (all ) of the material patterns and I did speed up some. But it still seems pretty slow. I do not know what I should expect for speed in my little test I performed.

Maybe there is a limit.

I figure between this forum and Tech Support maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks Again, Bob

post-638-0-87177700-1427908846_thumb.png

I did some timing on my laptop. With the 3D pattern layer on and with a 3D perspective vector over view. I did a rebuild 3D it took 18 seconds. I turned off the pattern layer and did the same thing and it took 12 seconds. So on my machine pattern generation accounts for about 6 seconds of the total time. I got similar results in the standard view although it appears to be slightly slower, probably due to having shadows turned on. Just under 12 seconds of the total time is in building the 3D model.

The 3D model doesn't need to be rebuilt all the time, but on the first camera view it will always need to be rebuilt. When objects are edited the affected objects wil require rebuilding of 3D. For walls this can affect many objects as they interact with adjacent walls, roofs, and platforms so the expense of editing a wall in 3D can be large depending on the model.

• Downvote 1

@ Perry , might be time to post your Nvidia settings again , as I see Ducksbill hasn't set any of them up on his new computer even though he has added Chief to the Nvidia 3D Page.

@Ducksbill see above.....also your network  Workgroup should not be "Workgroup" or you wont see any other computer or device on your network, your Tech should know that's necessary, it's an easy fix, but necessary. (Workgroup is the default M$ name and should be changed for security reasons eg to DucksBill)

To those who cloned there HD to a new SSD it is worth checking that the alignment is correct..... though most Cloning software is better these days.

Scroll to the very bottom of this page ( german so ignore rest) and get AS-SSD Benchmark , not only will it test your SSD's it will tell you at the Top Left if your SSD's Alignment is correct (in green)  , misalignment of an SSD will cause slowness issues , and was a problem I had the 1st time I ever cloned my Windows install off my HD. 

http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4&download_id=9

my old computer is only Sata2 compliant so holding my SSD back too 

post-315-0-88375800-1427923300_thumb.jpg

make sure you select your SDD in AS-SSD from the drop down list as it will list your HD's too if you have them.

This Free Partition Manager can also check it and fix it if needed

http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

M.

Not sure if you have an SSD Bob? ( I'd recommend one if not)  but Perry and the others do , however Perry's Nvidia settings I am using from last yr made a difference in the 3d Rendering for me , not sure if he has changed settings in X7 (vs X6 last yr)

--- you may want to lower the no# of cores you use for Ray tracing too if you want to work in Chief at the same time as a Ray Trace is Cooking.... if you use all 32 for RTing Chief will be very slow.

M.