What Are Good Sources For Finding Residential Framers?

sdkdesigner

I plan to build a relatively simple outdoor room attached to my home.  It will have no heating, plumbing or insulation but will have minor electric and a gas line for a barbecue.  The project has been approved by my HOA and the city planning department.  I am toying with the idea of being my own general contractor.  I've shown my plans to the building department and they are satisfied so far so I'm preparing to take the next steps.  I have lined up a structural engineer.  Besides that I'll need subcontractors for concrete, siding, roofing, trim carpentry and framing.  Of those I'm having trouble finding residential framers because while the other trades are frequently hired by homeowners framers typically are not.

What are good sources for finding qualified residential framers?  I've asked at the local lumber yard and they gave referrals for two general contractors.  I'll follow-up with them once I have my plans completed and approved by the city but in the meantime I'd like to see if I can find framers and trim carpenters on my own.

Hello SKD Designer,

You've begun where I would have ... contacting the local lumber supplier.  I would extend my search to all good size lumber yards within a 30-40 mile radius of your jobsite.  Ask them for recommendations for good, quality framing contractors.  Another resoruce is the local building inspector.  Often they'll feel it inappropriate to "reccomend."  But they see more framing than anyone else except the framer himself.  Just ask the inspector to meet you for lunch, and then pop the question based upon your desire to know of three names of framing companies whose work speaks of real quality.  That should do the trick!

Many times General Contractors do their own framing.  Many do not.  Many GC's prefer to act as construction facilitators who have a network of subcontractors that they go to for all their projects - framers included.

For all the work you intend to let-out being your own GC, remember the all too often forgotten construction triad:  (1) speed of execution, (2) price, (3) level of workmanship.  The dream of every homeowner is to have unbelievable quality, performed for next to nothing, and executed in the blink of an eye!  You can never have all three.  If you want dirt-cheap - then you'll get what you pay for; the quality will suffer, and the work may drag-on forever.  If you want high quality, but at the tradesman's own pace ... then you'll pay more, but your calendar and your wallet will suffer more than you had hoped.  The final scenario is one in which you do want the very best:  excellent quality, performed as quickly as possible.  There are thousands of skilled workman and companies who can give you this level of skill & expertise - but they deserve to ask for and to expect to be paid for what they know and what they can do.  Have that attitude embedded when you enter into your home building relationships, and your building experience will be a special time that you will always remember.  Why?  Because you will have attracted the very best, who give their best - in quality, attention and fairness.  Respect begets respect.  You will be treated first as a trusted client, and then the relationship will change as you see those who have labored upon your project as cherised friends.  How do I know?  I've lived it for years, and years.

Good Luck with your project.

Let me know if I may be of any further assistance,

Gary Prentice

Country Lane Design Group

CLHBOnTheRoad@gmail.com

Thanks all, especially chiefhandle/Gary, for the helpful replies.  My project is in the San Francisco bay area city of Pleasanton.  I'm not your typical home owner being an electrical engineer and software developer, and for the last decade also a hobbyist woodworker.  I've worked on multi year projects, both professionally and in my woodworking so I've learned patience!  I'm not afraid to pay for quality work as I truly appreciate the skill and effort that requires.  My outdoor room project has been delayed for nearly three years while we attempted to get a minor CC&R rule changed, to no avail.  Now that I have a design that satisfies the HOA, city and my wife I'm looking forward to finally getting underway!

There are contractors nearby who just do framing. I had gotten a bid from a guy a few years ago out of Santa Cruz. He was bidding jobs in Carmel and The Santa Lucia Preserve so Pleasanton is not far away. Most framing contractors will do the concrete and framing. This is a good way to go since the framing being straight and square is dependent on the foundation being the straight and square.

The problem I have found with hiring carpenters as opposed to hiring a contractor with a good crew is that once an individual reaches a certain level of knowledge they often branch out on their own. Therefore, if you hire a guy who is not a contractor or not actively working for a contractor you are rolling the dice.

Many General Contractors will be happy to work with you as a sub or consultant. I have not done work in Pleasanton but I was helping my brother with a project in San Mateo and got this list of local contractors with great recommendations:

Rick Guinon 
650-556-9518

Larry Kayle
650-318-0211

Patrick McEvoy
415-999-1432

Ron Collosi
650-594-9442
ron@summitltd.com
Summit Construction
www.summitltd.com