A Foundation Alignment Issue

R_Seales

Hey guys!

I have a "Foundation alignment Issue" every time I use brick or stone on a house.  I figure there is a setting, or wall type, or something  I'm missing and this one is driving me nuts!  What I want to happen is shown on my footing.png file.  I want the brick to rest on the footing and extend up the foundation wall aligning with the brick above.  What happens instead is the brick is stopping at the floor level, and the CMU wall is aligning to the brick above.

What am I missing?

post-765-0-48091600-1427580015_thumb.png

post-765-0-40194000-1427580026_thumb.png

foundation issue.plan

post-765-0-77875000-1427580602_thumb.png

You need to have the Main Layers of the Stem Wall and the wall above align.  The Main Layer of the Stem Wall should be the CMU and the Main Layer of the wall above should be the Stud Framing.  Your Stem Wall needs to include the extra layers for the brick.

Actually, you should probably use a Pony Wall so you have a "Brick Ledge" as it isn't good practice to have the brick extend below grade.  Bricks tend to deteriorate when in constant contact with wet soil.

BTW, the flashing should go behind the vapor barrier.

Joe,

Thank you for the reply,  I have been trying to align my main layers to no avail. A better way to say it may be to say I can manually align the stem walls but I can not get the foundation to generate in the correct alignment automatically (derived from 1st floor).  It always increases the dimensions for the foundation beyond that of the 1st floor walls.  Is it possible to create a stem wall that will automatically align to the proper Main layer?  My attempts to do so have failed so I have had to export my floor plan and manually drawing the foundations in my CAD package to stay on schedule.  Something I would very much like to avoid on the next project.

I also see you are an architect in California.  I'm curious to see how our footing details may vary. I am not an architect, and I live in South Alabama.  All of the Architects and engineers I work for use a similar detail with 3 to 4 courses of brick extending below grade. I think our Frost line being 18"  is a factor, that and footings are stepped to avoid excessive excavation and brick work. What do you do at the grade line to prevent your brick ledge from showing?  What I see on residential and light commercial construction sites in our area is soil being back-filled against 3 - 4 course of brick.

As for the flashing you are correct sir it should, my screen capture is a higher resolution than it actually prints, I have never noticed it before.  Thak you again for your insights.

Ricky

To control how the foundation walls line up with the floor above, you need to make a setting in the wall definition.

Open the wall Type Definition dbx ( for the wall above the foundation wall). 

There is a section called Wall Settings.

Change the "Foundation to Exterior of Layer" setting.

Auto build the foundation.

As Joe said, you also need to configure your default foundation wall as needed.

not sure I like the idea of soil against Brick work either , but Code here has us at 8" above grade ,so you always see the foundation/brick ledge ,I am unsure how the weep holes work well , 12"-18" off the footing, it would seem to me that space would always be damp? no termites there?

but following Glen and Joe's advice as an exercise , it wasn't to hard to get your new foundation wall setup ,i'll attach the plan so you can have a look / save the wall as needed.  

I am not sure it is possible to get the slab 1/2 on the block foundation but Glen or Joe may know how....

post-315-0-10309200-1427601671_thumb.jpg

foundation issue_R1_new wall type.plan

To do the Slab 1/2 on the Block Wall you need a Pony Wall (Basically a "Brick Ledge" as Chief calls it) but on the interior instead of the Exterior.  The Pony Wall would be the full thickness and the upper part of the Stem Wall would only have the 1/2 Block.

Mick,

You should be able to get rid of the extra lines by specifying in the Structure Tab of the Foundation Wall Defaults - Hang Floor Platform Above on Wall.

That is Checked but I also used "Hang 1st Floor Platform Inside foundation"  in my R1 Plan ,so maybe that is it

Also the "Auto detail" will cover up those lines and you can manipulate the cad boxes as you need to, I use it a lot to cover foundation lines.

I did Auto Detail  but perhaps need to change some of my Fills? to solid perhaps?   I just figured I would remove them once sent to layout in a section view if needed , I guess I would need to add the Rebar too by the looks, or didn't have some option checked perhaps?.  

M.

For me I let a cad detail of the concrete, with everything that's included in it, do the talking. The sections are just a representation of ceiling heights and a general view of what's happening at that cut.  I just never try to detail the sections, that could take forever.

Sorry for the late reply on my part, I have been out of town and away from my Computer.  A very special thanks to Joe, Mick & Perry...it's tough transitioning from another platform, your willingness to share your wisdom and insights is much appreciated.  I a now one step closer to my goal of completing a plan 100% with Chief.

Thanks, Ricky