Varied Wall Heights

robdack

So I'm building a model of an existing building.    The building is an old store, really a big box about 80' long and 26' wide.  I'm having problems with all these little sheds off the side.    So the wall height of the store is 10' with an 8/12 gable roof.   Off the back there's a shed the width of the building with a 3/12 roof and on one side there are 3 shed's one 8' wide and 16' long, followed by one 7' deep and 10' long (this one has a shed roof about 6" higher than the first and 3rd)  and then a third 9'6" deep and 30' long.    So I'm trying to set the wall heights lower than the 10' main walls and I can't do it.  I'm sure it's a stupid noob problem but maybe someone can help me.

I attached the plan with the side sheds

Thanks,  Rob

MERC1.plan

Thanks Larry,  I think one of the problems is that the building has a full basement and these sheds are just stuck on the side and drop to the ground.   But I think I can hack my way through it with that little tutorial.   This building is a nightmare.  There's a massive new addition with multiple roof planes etc.   I figured I'd just build each section as a separate building and stick them together in my model rather than try and build the whole 13000 sqft building.  I only need this to show adjacent buildings in the model so it doesn't matter if I stick it together.

Thanks again.

The main building looks to be closer to 13'-14' high to me judging off the door of the side shed.

but the biggest issue that showed up in Larry's video was the fact that you have "played" with many of the walls so they weren't at default height and so didn't change when Larry did his initial run through, (only default height walls rebuild auto)  some are also designated "pony walls" , some are set to "balloon through ceiling"  etc.

So Larry deleting and redoing got rid of all that.

it was much easier to set the 3 side buildings up as 3 separate buildings and push them together, and adjust roof planes.

you may or may not run into the known bug of trying to add a shed roof addition on the end of a gable wall IF the shed addition is exactly the same width as the original building , inset the walls slightly and it works every time, if not generally the roof get screwed up or dissappears.

post-315-0-06064400-1427605427_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-85700300-1427605405_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-36624800-1427606325_thumb.jpg

revised plan but there seems to be a lot of weird stuff going on with pony walls etc , I'd be tempted to start a new clean plan with the knowledge gained here...

MERC1_R1.plan