So So Frustrated - Deck Just Up And Dissappears

HumbleChief

Speechless. Not really. Messing with a plan and the deck framing disappears. Just gone. The REALLY frustrating part is I have no idea what I did to disappear the framing so it's just a matter of time before I do it again - ugh.

http://www.screencast.com/t/ckZGSugQN

DECK GONE.plan

SAME THING happened to another plan this morning. BUG? Anyone else seen this? User error?

not your day apparently ...TGIF :)

it appears the whole floor structure is gone ? not just the deck framing

strange floor setup 2x10 one side, 4" slab the other...

I didn't find anything obvious , though your small gable is all messed up again and the roof return....

copy and paste in place the framing back from this morning's plan perhaps?

M. 

Larry,

I found an invisible wall inside your kitchen at the bench location. deleted that wall and no more orange wall outside.

The wall type was interior white fill.

As for the framing of the deck. I would use a backup file to copy, paste in place.

I always make sure once the deck is closed into a room, to open dbx and check (keep framing after deck is deleted.) then uncheck the auto feature.

That way my custom adjustments to framing, posts, and footings are kept.

Thanks you guys.

Dennis, Rebuilding the deck only builds it according to Chief's spec's. In this case all the deck framing was done in a custom manner as that's where the work on this project is being done. I do have some back up and am trying to decide whether I should try and import the framing from that plan or import the cabinets etc. form the bad plan. Probably the latter.

I think you identified the problem Michael. I've got the framing retained on the back up plan and will watch/change that invisible wall, which I need in place to define the ceiling over that little nook. Anyway long day yesterday and my frustration got the better of me. A fresh look today will likely clear up a couple issues.Thanks again.

Yes I was able to rebuilt it auto too, but not your original framing Larry, but I was able to use your Gable Wall Plan from the other thread to paste the Custom framing back in, so you have a back plan in that thread :)

Thanks Mick,

I was able to copy and paste stuff between back up plans and got everything back OK. I'm pretty sure I didn't have the 'retain deck framing' box checked and must have moved a deck/railing wall. And the invisible interior wall messed up the exterior siding - sigh. Live and learn of course and as I played with the plan this morning I had a window opened constantly checking deck framing.

Your two plans might be a good post for the Suggestions Forum , they give you a warning if modifying manual Roof Planes, so you don't change stuff by accident , why not for Manual framing?  I have a project which is on a raised Pole Foundation and would sure be unhappy to lose all that cos I played with a deck railing, whether on purpose or not.

Hope the rest of Sat. went better :)

M.

I had this same exact issue the other day, and yesterday, a chunk of my first floor up and disappeared. I used the floor material region, but it doesn't create a "real floor" as in when I place cabinets, they sink below the region. THIS IS DEFINITELY A BUG IN THE PROGRAM. IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED. Waiting on Chief Architect to answer my submission. At this point, I have been using the program for a week and I am less than impressed. So many bugs, quirks, and lack of ability to create what needs to be created. I'm about to tell my boss to return the software and get his money back and buy a better product. 

• 2 weeks later...

Larry,

I found an invisible wall inside your kitchen at the bench location. deleted that wall and no more orange wall outside.

The wall type was interior white fill.

As for the framing of the deck. I would use a backup file to copy, paste in place.

I always make sure once the deck is closed into a room, to open dbx and check (keep framing after deck is deleted.) then uncheck the auto feature.

That way my custom adjustments to framing, posts, and footings are kept.

Hi Larry,. I also always check keep deck framing and uncheck auto rebuild deck framing, but when I change a deck room from Deck to Unspecified all my deck framing still disappears :( In my current situation I have custom deck framing under a 3 season room and want to change the room to unspecified so my electrical outlets don't show up as weather proof. Have you run into this problem ?  Chuck MTL Homes

Hi Larry,. I also always check keep deck framing and uncheck auto rebuild deck framing, but when I change a deck room from Deck to Unspecified all my deck framing still disappears :( In my current situation I have custom deck framing under a 3 season room and want to change the room to unspecified so my electrical outlets don't show up as weather proof. Have you run into this problem ?  Chuck MTL Homes

Chuck,

There's a 'keep deck framing after deck room is deleted' check box that does just that if you want to change the room name. Just tried it and it works.

If your only problem is the electrical outlets showing up as Weather Proof I'd create a CAD electrical outlet and place them on the wall where you need them. I have a little custom GFCI outlet in my library for islands that don't have a wall that Chief needs to place outlets on. Works fine.

I assume you fixed the roof problem but in your video you did not adjust the entry roof plan on the left.

Some times the roof plane touches the exterior wall and causes this loss of wall.

The roof planes sometimes work but later the wall above disappears. May be a rounding math problem that they work & then they don't.

I usually pull the planes away from the wall they butt up to by 1/2" and all is fine.