Very Large Layout File

robdyck

I've imported a few pages in pdf format to a single page 3 of 5 in my layout. This adds about 12 MB (from 2 MB to 14MB). Obviously this slows down the printing (to pdf) as well as emailing the file to clients. This has only been an issue for me in X6. Anyone else?

Great suggestions. I appreciate it. I had been printing @ 600 dpi too ensure that imported pdfs and renderings printed clearly. 96 dpi was fine for everything except the imported pdfs and that brought the file down to 2MB. I settled on 300 dpi which was clear enough for the pdfs with a file size around 6MB. 

All that being said, I am curious why my imported pdfs bog it down so much when in X5 I never ran into this issue using all the same settings.

I'll certainly adjust my settings now. I did indeed do a couple of tests at different resolutions, and @ 96 dpi the only part of my printed layout file that was unsatisfactory was the portion that was an imported pdf. That portion was quite pixely and wouldn't be legible when printed to paper. Perhaps an email to tech would throw some light on this. I do use imported pdfs in my layout file regularly. I typically show some details that have been provided by the local code authority which are only available in pdf (and obviously i'm too lazy or prudent to redraw that which has already been drawn).

I've stopped using PDFs whenever I can. They just bog my system down. Most of mine come from other vendors and even with them trying to print at lower res it still very very slow to print and makes really big files. Very unhappy about this and it seems to be unique somehow to my system as others have not reported too many problems. The PDF feature is one of the best features in Chief and I can't/won't use it anymore.

Called tech support and they were - nice - but no solution. I use TIFF's JPEG's and PNG's whenever I can.

That doesn't help your situation but it might help to know you're not alone with a PDF problem.

Larry,  tiff's are very large files-- I would never use those

Yeah but I wasn't trying to make a point about file size, I was making a point about what works best on my system and for me TIFF's (I receive both TIFF's and PDF's from my Title 24 guy) are way faster and better behaved than PDFs, even though they may be large files. I know it must be something on my end but I can't track it down nor can tech support so I'm out of the PDF business until something changes.

Heck I can hardly print a full page (8 forms) of my T24 PDF's as it will only print the top half of a couple different PDF's. I have to print to PDF before I can print PDF's many times. Again just echoing the OP's concerns with PDF's.