Chief Doesn't Allow Breaking A Wall 8.5 Inches From An Edge? Trying To Wrap Brick Up To Sides Of An Overhead Garage Door.

VikingFan84

I'm trying to wrap brick up to the sides of an overhead garage door.  To do this I tried to break the wall that the garage door is on 8.5" from the edges so that there would be 3 sections.  2 8.5" brick sections  on each end with a 9' long siding section in the middle where the overhead garage door ends up.  Chief seems to not allow you to build a garage door into an area that is identical width to the garage door, it wants extra space on each side, making this impossible.  Also I cannot break the wall at 8.5" from the edge even if I wanted to.

Because Chief wants extra space on each side and because I can't break the wall as close to the edge as I'd like to anyways I feel like a brick Pony wall that goes up as high as the garage door would be one solution but on the sides I want the brick to go all the way to the top (which they wouldn't).

Should I look create a polyline solid that's brick and place it where it needs to go?  Or is there a more obvious solution that alludes me?

Thanks.

post-3440-0-64650900-1427318062_thumb.png

Use Wall Material Regions for the Brick Portions.

I just did this.  It works mostly but as far as I can tell it doesn't allow me to bring it past the wall and even with the side brick.  It would just allow me to cover the surface of the front facing wall which would leave a gap where my brick should be joining.  I want my brick to wrap around the side of the house.

You can also break it further back draw a line and drag it back to the point you want but Joe's method is easier to do.

Chief was not allowing me to drag it to where I wanted, the break would simply dissapear.  Even if I was able to successfully do this I don't think Chief will allow me to place a 9' garage door into a 9' wall section.  It will max out my garage door size somewhere around 7.5'

As of now I've done the wall material regions but as I said before there is a "corner" section missing where the two brick pieces (from the side, and from the front facing section) should come together but rather their edge just meet at one point and there is no "overlap."

I've added an image showing the gap I'm talking about.

On my floor plan it shows that my wall material region extends beyond the edge of the front facing wall to cover the gap.  That simply does not occur though in the 3D.  I'd imagine that wall material regions stop at the edge of a wall which makes sense but means I still do not have an ideal solution to my problem.

post-3440-0-20987900-1427389407_thumb.png

I was putting a stone material region at a wall corner with corner trim. When I deleted the corner trim after placing the region the corner worked. It still will not come in front of a foundation wall corner but at least looks approx. right.

Don't try and build small wall sections either side of the garage door.

Make it all one brick wall that includes the brick piers AND the garage door.

Then use the Material Region to cut away the brick over the door. 

post-106-0-00484700-1427424872_thumb.jpg