Pc Vs Mac Laptops

Pam922

I am researching the purchase of a new laptop to use with my 2015 Chief Architect program. My current Asus laptop is 5 years old and the video card isn't up to speed. I am seriously considering MacBook Pro 15 inch model. Any suggestions.

MacBook Pros are great machines but there is a lot to consider when changing to a different OS. No doubt that their track pads are really nice, however many of the newer systems from Lenovo & Dell have finally addressed most of these issues. You will also need to consider the other programs you use besides Chief. If you are using purchased software then you will need to buy the Mac version if available. If you are using Freeware then many of these may not be available in Mac format. Mac keyboard layout & function keys are a bit different than PCs and the OS UI is also very different, I know of several associates that tried to switch and unfortunately ended up switching back as they could not or were not willing to accept these differences.

Another consideration is the current and future Windows UI changes, especially the touch screen interface. Although this is not conducive to working within Chief I find this to be really great during client presentations. Swiping through my portfolio doesn't get any better, even clients can participate. Now that I have become familiar with the touch screen capabilities I would never go back. Its actually quite amusing but I just naturally try to swipe screens for certain functions even though they do not have this capability, very disappointing when nothing happens.

Graham

Bootcamp will not run third party drivers.  you'll be relegated to the windows/intel drivers which can be a disadvantage over running a windows primary machine particularly with battery life.  I tried to make the switch and had to go back.  I have a macbook too and use for fun and to change up my experiences in computing but I'd be losing it if I had to make serious construction documents and permit submittals bootcamping or even worse running VM in a mac only.  I seriously wouldn't recommend it.  If you want to make a switch you need to maintain a PC machine and ease into the change unless your plans are basic and you don't make your primary living running design work and meeting deadlines.  Just my opinion.

Bootcamp will not run third party drivers.  you'll be relegated to the windows/intel drivers which can be a disadvantage over running a windows primary machine particularly with battery life.  I tried to make the switch and had to go back.  

My Mac runs Nvidia drivers under Bootcamp & Win7 64 bit.

I also run Wacom tablet drivers and a Pioneer BD-R optic drive with Pioneer drivers and firmware.

another biggie is that CA on mac can't import .skp files.  If you use sketchup alot for custom symbols it's kinda a hassle.

Sketchup now has the 64 bit API we needed for the Mac; so, this should be solved in the near future with an update in X7. 

I just purchased my 2nd MacBook Pro 15,.. the first one purchased just a year ago this month.  What I didn't know a year back is that the memory is permanent to the motherboard and cannot be easily upgraded.  BUMMER !!!  So I bit the bullet and got a new Mac 15" with 16GB Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB and 512GB storage.  So far, everything seems to run better and faster with the bigger RAM, especially CA. So my advice... go with a MacBook Pro but with the bigger RAM from the start.