Save is NOT saving

RCarter

I recently upgraded to X-6 from X-2..I like the new features of X-6 and what been using it since Xmas inspite of some bugs that have required some work arounds ( you may have seen my posts) however I my latest problem is too serious to ignore..my " Save" is NOT saving..I'll work on a plan ...conscientiously save it  and save it again..and when I go back to the plan, my work wasn't saved. I am very upset with this program as it is affecting my business. Has anyone else had this problem.

RCarter

Are you saving to a network location or an ejectable drive? The reason I ask is I talked to someone yesterday about an issue like this that was saving to a networked location.

Also, are you working with multiple people that have access to the file in question? 

Are you getting archives of the files?

Please call our support team, we want to get to the bottom of this. Whether it is a bug in Chief or some other cause, such as malware, we need to figure out the cause.

I save to a separate drive "P"..I've been using this server for years. I 'm the only user and I have been getting files from archives..I suspect when I hit save maybe the plan is been saved in the archive file and not on my server drive..I was using "save as" that way I can see where the file was going and just replaced it. If the computer is by-passing the server drive and going to archives there must be a setting for it to save to both?????

Roger

When saving to a sever the archive file is copied from the server to the archive folder then the new file is saved to the temporary folder after which it is moved to the server. The reason we save locally and then copy is that writing directly to a server on Windows is a lot slower than saving locally and then copying the file.

Generally saving directly to a networked location can be risky because of the many more things that can go wrong with the save.

Did you get any error messages when you saved? If the save or the copy to server fails you should get an error message.

Saving to network shares has certain inherent risk, including some known Windows problems that may or may not be in play here.

The fact that you are getting archives indicates that things are not failing consistently since those are being copied from the server to the local drive.

Failures should provide an error message, which is concerning to me.

I would recommend a strategy of working locally and then backing up to the server location. In your case this would seem to make the most sense.

I am still worried that there is a problem in Chief so if you are willing to work with our support team to help diagnose the issue that would be appreciated.

What I would like to do...but my acknowledge of computers is limited...I have a web site with about 1000 plans..this are my Main stockpile of plans so to speak, I also have about 20 clients that I do work for and they each have a file, I have a file in my name that is for individuals I do plans for...and I have a folder for each year ie. 2014,2013. So can I set up a new folder on "C" drive and call it 2014 and if I need an existing plan..just retreive it from the server drive to the C. I do it this way because for backup reasons I only have to save the 2014 folder...All the other files are never worked on until they are saved to 2014 folder..I hope this makes sense

Roger

Sorry don't understand what you are doing.

Does you entire collection of files take up a lot of disk space?

Perhaps something like Dropbox could be put to work to achieve a safe and workable solution - to whatever it is that you are trying to do. ;)

You knowledge of computers is limited to Chief, Word, emails and searching internet for good salmon fishing lodges in Labrador...:)

I have a stockpile of thousands of plans that I have developed over the last number of ears...these plans are very important to me as I'm a internet based business and I sell plans from my website. So I want them stored anywhere but on my PC. I use several external harddrives and have been using a server drive for more day to day work because it has a backup drive built into it. Recently, since upgrading to X-6, I've been having problems saving work...( see comments on this post ).. I'm open to suggestions...

Well I don't know a whole lot more then I did.

Why don't you want them on your PC? If that is the machine you work from then you could keep one set of files on that machine and and another set out on a NAS unit (network attached storage).

A good NAS unit can be configured with redundant drives and "hot spares" - hot spares are drives which are not in use but if one of the active drives fails a hot spare drive is automatically activated to replace the failed drive. You are notified via Email that such an event has occured so you can take appropriate action.

Then you would have a program on the PC that would automatically backup any changed file on the PC to the NAS unit.

So you would never fetch a file from the NAS but always work on the PC files and the files on the NAS would always be in sync with the files on the PC.

How does that sound?

• Upvote 1

Well based on your picture and the color of your hair I think I must be older. ;)

Once you configure the hardware and software it pretty much takes care of itself. About the only time you interact with it is when one of the drives fails - as all drives do. Then you pop out the failed drive - they drives are in little "carriers" and you can change drives with power on - remove four screws holding the failed drive to the carrier - attach the new drive to the carrier with the same four screws - and slide the carrier back into the NAS. The NAS takes care of putting the new drive back into action.

If you are belt-and-suspenders type you could have a 2nd or 3rd NAS unit to keep extra copies of the set of files or you could sign up for one of the on-line file backup services and have a set of files off-site.

And setting things up is really not that difficult - not with all the folks here ready to help out.

I've been retired for 12 years from house building and started playing with CA as a hobby and it has turned into a great home based business ..no stress, morning traffic , office politics, that's why no grey hair I guess. Anyway.I'm due for a new computer soon. I'll be on Talk looking for suggestions. Right how I stick with the server setup..I've had it for years

• 3 months later...

Has this issue been resolved,  I have just started using X6, the license is owned by a larger company,  they have had problems with saving a file, then when reopening, the latest changes have not been saved,  I am pretty sure they are saving to a network ....

(they phoned me again this afternoon to see if I had found time to look into yet)...

I am pretty sure I had this same problem the other day...  only saving to my PC hard drive...

I have reset my autosave in preferences from every 5 minutes to every 1 minute,  but have not used X6 enough to see if this helps or if it is a common occurrence...

I checked for updates but got the message saying I had the latest version...

Thanks,

Tim Grindlay

NZ

As far as I know there were a handful of reports on this when this thread was posted awhile ago. I was tangentially working with a customer on this but then the problem appeared to go away for them.

As near as I can tell this wasn't a Chief problem. It may have been a networking issue or potentially malware.

If you are still having this problem you should contact our support team and work with them to see if you can isolate the cause and resolve the issue.

There is no evidence at this time that I'm aware of that indicates that this is a Chief issue.

I have ben using chief since version 8. I have been using X6 for a while now. Just recently I have been having the problem when I use my laptop. I can start a plan and work on it. Save it and it saves the changes. But, if I try to rename the plan file to lets say "Smith plan proposed" The file will not save and the plan file does not change name. I have contacted chief about this and had some correspondence, but they did not reply to my last email. Must have lost interest. I don't know what has changed, but I can save as any other file on my computer to any drive I want. I still don't get it. Is it chief or my laptop? Its probably something I did, but only god knows what right now.

Mike

I have ben using chief since version 8. I have been using X6 for a while now. Just recently I have been having the problem when I use my laptop. I can start a plan and work on it. Save it and it saves the changes. But, if I try to rename the plan file to lets say "Smith plan proposed" The file will not save and the plan file does not change name. I have contacted chief about this and had some correspondence, but they did not reply to my last email. Must have lost interest. I don't know what has changed, but I can save as any other file on my computer to any drive I want. I still don't get it. Is it chief or my laptop? Its probably something I did, but only god knows what right now.

Mike

That should not happen and it does not happen to  me.  It must be something you are doing.........  but Buddy,  let me tell you,  if there is some little glitch in there,  and it was not your fault,  I would not be surprised.

Does it happen every time?  Or every other time?  Can you not do a SAVE AS at all?

The most common reason that we run into where someone thinks that Save As has failed is that they saved to a different directory than what they thought and just can't seem to find the file. This is easily verified by using the recent file list in Chief to open the last file saved.

If it isn't in the most recent file list then something is wrong. Not sure what.

The most common reason that we run into where someone thinks that Save As has failed is that they saved to a different directory than what they thought and just can't seem to find the file.

Boy do I run into this all the time when helping people. I've seen a lot of people that depend on archive files to work in because they can't find the last file they were working on. I've seen people save plans that were revised in different folders on different drives including layout files. They say they get error messages every time they open a layout. This is all about file management and so starts a mini course on file management.

I didn't see your post this morning and have to get out to measure for an addition. Kind of scary right now. I went so far as to uninstall and re-install Chief. I then opened a plan file stored in chief. Colonial plan from the chief library and saved that in a test folder on my flash drive as "Untitled 4". I drew some walls and tried to save it to the same folder as Untitled 4 Proposed and the file name on the plan did not change and there was no additional file saved in the folder. if your gunna say did I try to save it to my hard drive, no I didn't with this plan, but I have over the last few weeks with my other plans. No luck. I have been doing it this way for years. Go out in the field to draw an existing and then back in my office creating a proposed. What I ended up doing this morning was going into the flash drive, taking the "untitled 4" file and copying it to my new client folder and renaming it. I think this is going to work for now, but WOW! I just don't know how I screwed this thing up. I feel like I can almost see it.... Some radio button I clicked when I sneezed. Thanks again for all the comments and I will post a screen shot or whatever you would want if your interested in seeing what the problem might be. Gotta go make the dollor now.

Thanks,

Mike

I have over 40 Chief Architect and Home Designer titles on my PC divided between two hard drives (one for XP x32 and one for Windows 7 x64). I save these files to another hard drive that does not contain either XP or W7. I have a software program that backs those plan files to yet another hard drive and that hard drive then backs up to Carbonite.

Since 1994,  I have never had any problem backing up, maintaining and organizing these files. It is not something anything or anyone does but me. One should increase their own PC and Chief knowledge, there is no short cut to being responsible for one's affairs and Life.

DJP