Wall Niches Library - Revised

Joe_Carrick

Here's my new Wall Niche Symbols Library.  Please replace the previous Library with this one.

These Symbols can be placed up against a wall and they will automatically cut the hole in the wall surface. These objects are actually an Architectural Block consisting of the Niche (Geometric Shape Symbol) and the Hole (Transparent Backsplash) so when selected you can TAB to get down to those 2 items if you need to make adjustments to their size, materials, etc.

Note: If you select the "Opening" and then TAB you will have selected the "Hole". If you select the "Frame" or outside edge and then TAB you will have selected the "Niche". 

I created these symbols without any Floor Finish Thickness.  If you find that the hole in the wall appears to be too low you will need to move it up the thickness of your Finish Floor.

The Symbols (attached Library) are designed to fit in a 14.5" wide stud space (2x6 studs). They are by default 14"x24"x6" but as I indicated above it is possible to modify the size.

I have also included my Washer Hookup which is smaller and a Medicine Cabinet with a Glass Door.

Please let me know if you have any special configurations and I will try to add them as my time permits. I would like this Library to become as complete a selection as possible.

Notes about displaying in 3D:

1.  The Walls must be Framed and the Framing, Walls Layer must be displayed.

If you don't need framing you can make you Main Wall Layer "Standard Glass" or some other "Transparent" material and you won't need to worry about the Framing Layer being displayed.

2.  For Vector Views, the Hole in a Wall Layer needs to be "Off"

-Wall Niches with Hole in Wall.calibz

post-47-0-55669500-1426700745_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Really good stuff Joe,  but I cannot resize them....  well,  I can resize if I unblock but then I lose the HOLE RESIZE.  Also,  in plan view it appears the plan view cad block is about 1/2" from wall.

Yeah,  so why does it have to be blocked?   Is that something that we cannot avoid.

You know,  you have done a pretty darn good job of putting it together,  it just seems that CA can put it together so that it is easily resizable and the framing auto adjusts.

Scott,

In order to resize:

1.  Make sure "Hole in a Wall" Layer is displayed.

2.  Select the center area of the symbol and press TAB to get the "Hole" which you can then resize or move.

3.  Select the edge of the symbol and press TAB to get the "Symbol" which you can then resize or move.

The key to this whole thing is that the 3D Symbol and the Hole have been Blocked together.  That way they are treated as a single object for placement but they otherwise keep their behaviors. 

The CAD Blocks are Custom so it may be possible to play with the y offset but the real solution to this in the long run will be for Chief to make the CAD Block placement match the 3D Symbol Origin Offset. 

I agree that CA should make this happen with a Symbol Option "Inserts in Wall" with Framing updates just like a "Pass Thru Window".   I don't know when that might happen so for now, we just have to deal with it.  IAE, I think this is the best solution to the Niches so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

For anyone using X9 or later.

While these symbols will still work, it's better to use Chief's "Wall Niche" tool. 

• It has all the settings and functionality for shape, size, trim, materials, etc.
  • In addition, wall framing recognizes the Niche and frames the opening.

A couple of the symbols are still useful - such as the Washing Machine Hookup.

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

For anyone using X9 or later.

While these symbols will still work, it's better to use Chief's "Wall Niche" tool.

...and don't forget the new Inserts Into Wall option for symbols either.  That one is a pretty versatile tool.