Wall Niche

Charlenerene

Go to solution Solved by scottharris,

Hey Guys,

So I am working on a wall niche. I made the wall and used the pass through window, removing the casing and sills. I then made the polyline solid and put it in the window. But I cannot get the polyline solid to show up in the camera view even after turning on every single layer. Any ideas?

Best Regards,

Charlene

Design to Shine

post-1522-0-68960600-1426044441_thumb.jpg

There are several pre-made wall niches / nook to download from here.  I have uploaded a plan that I inserted the one I have.  There are square, arched, with & without trim and some are revered to the exterior.  They already have the backs in them, you can edit the materials just like a door with casing. No reason to reinvent the wheel.  Hope they are what you're looking for.

Rob

Recessed Wall Nook Set.plan

Try using a wall cabinet for the niche, just turn off bumping/pushing and float into place. Just make sure it protrudes from the wall face say 1/16" so it will show. You now have full control over the niche with the cabinet dialog settings. Can also be a medicine cabinet.

Graham

Assuming that a pass thru has been already placed in position?

No need unless framing details are required. Just make sure to float it out say around 1/16" beyond the wall face other wise the wall finish will hide it from view.

Graham

Please post a pic,  I think you are missing the point that we want a niche.  I think you will find your method leaves drywall in place that will HIDE the niche.

Played with this a bit. Here's a crazy work around.

Wall type 3 1/2" framed.

Change Interior & Exterior finishes to Glass. Must do it to both sides.

Place your wall cabinet into the cavity according to the depth you need.

Use the Material regions tool to rebuild the wall finish around the niche.

On the other side use the Material Regions tool to rebuild the drywall.

Graham

Just checked this method against the material list function. Everything calculates correctly for all of the main materials, studs, drywall & tile. Likely the only thing would be for a large niche that mea need to framed like a pass-thorough. For most shower niches this would not be an issue.

Graham

Graham,

This is an interesting concept.

By replacing the Wall Finish Layers with a Wall Material Region (exactly the same definition) I can then cut a Hole in the Wall Material Region and insert an Object (cabinet, symbol, etc) into that hole without having a hole in the opposite side of the wall.  

Great solution to a Niche.  Works in all Render Techniques.

So far from my playing around it only works if the wall type is FRAME, both interior and exterior finishes must changed to glass in the Dialog box. Now the wall is see through.

You can then place any object into or through the cavity. Go back and use the Material Definition tool and click on the Glass change material type to your desired finish and drag around to expose the item you inserted into the wall cavity. Go around to the other side and do the same thing, maybe in this case it's just drywall. This technique can be used for anything you wish to reside within the cavity, exposed on one face or right through both sides. Also cross section views will show the item within the cavity.

Graham

Here's an even faster way. Make the wall type glass, change wall width to say 4 1/2". Place your cabinet anywhere. Use Material Regions to configure the wall surface around the object, change to your desired finish.

Graham

No Wall Framing with a Glass Wall.