Dimension Extension Line Trouble

Nicinus

Go to solution Solved by Nicinus,

Beginner question. I've created some dimensions and get a marker for the point I snapped to, but I can't an extension line? My problems seems only to relate to walls, and I have set Wall > Both Sides in the dimension style dbx. I'm not using proximity or any gap settings, everything in the extension tab is set to default.

In which cases would I be able to get a marker on the actual dimension line, but it won't let me create the extension?

I've been kind of getting by earlier but would like to understand why it seems as if some inner corners work and others don't. I also find it odd that I can snap to something that generates a dimension, but I can't seem to pull out an extension.

When you select a dimension line you will get a square handle on the dimension line. Next to it there will be a diamond shaped handle. Drag the diamond shaped handle to be over the object you want to dimension. Once you are close enough to a dimensionable location on that object you should get an extension locating that object.

NIc,  you just have to post pics and plans to get good answers.

Thanks Scott, the plan is almost 60MB so I created a dummy plan and reconstructed the wall setup to make it easier to share, and in this plan it behaves completely differently. I will give it a moment to figure out if there is something that I have changed in the defaults before I proceed.

When you select a dimension line you will get a square handle on the dimension line. Next to it there will be a diamond shaped handle. Drag the diamond shaped handle to be over the object you want to dimension. Once you are close enough to a dimensionable location on that object you should get an extension locating that object.

What I found odd is that when I do that, the location is recognized on the actual dimension line, but I am sometimes unable to generate the extension line. I think I understand the process, just not what is required for Chief to produce the extension. By dragging around different locations you get a shadow extension line if a location is deemed suitable, but I can't seem to figure out the common denominator for these.

• Solution

I had some different things in combination that confused me, but the main thing was apparently that I was dimensioning through a doorway.

I wanted the extension lines to go to the jamb, but the dimension saw the doorway as a sold wall and therefore no need for extension lines.