Architecture And Culture

a_guevara

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

To what extent do you believe Architecture correlates to culture?

When designing structure do we take into account cultural likings?

Design is a huge aspect in Architecture, is it more likely to be influenced by other structures of that country, or for us to use our own 'style' and adapt this to the current project?

The most important consideration is the likes, dislikes and bents of who is paying for  the design, then I would consider general style of the surrounding neighborhood. Lots of places in the USA have H.O. A.'s that can and will critique a design and have rules. You just serve who you are creating for to the best of your abilities, often times the opinions of others are also important and must be weighed.

DJP

• Upvote 1

• Solution

My philosophy (and practice) is to create a spacial experience for my clients that meets their needs and desires while stimulating the mind.  I don't automatically rule out any particular "Style" or "Idiom" but I also believe that a design has to fit the location.  That in no way means it should look like every other structure in the area.  There are nomadic cultures that have "standardized" structures and there are locations where available building materials pretty much dictate what can be built and be effective.  Sometimes those cultures develop incredible variations on a theme - sometimes they don't.

• Upvote 1