What is the best x16 laptop build??? Taking orders now!


Recommended Posts

Buying and building a new laptop this week. If I start using x16 what is the best build. I am a big CPU RayTrace and PBR user. 

I am willing to put the money into this for best results. Please if anyone has a breakdown on "must haves" as far as power, speed, graphics and memory  goes, I am open for suggestions! 

 

Hoping this thread can be the go-to for the answers many might need answered on this subject. I have only found hit or miss topics about this. They are either old post or post more focused on x15 (but very few, (might be the same requirements as x16 idk) But it would be great for everyone to throw out their "basic budget builds"..."perfectly fine builds"..."money no object builds" here on this thread!

I want to see breakdown list honestly LOL! Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

Following. I also need a new laptop.

 

Great! How are your results in PBR with this setup. My setup now does not support x15 or x16 now. My current GTX 1660Ti graphics is now being laughed at by x15 LOL! Our office computer work station has x15 and PBR works great. But when I open x15 on my laptop it looks horrible. That's why I am starting a new build. Maybe you will see your next build presented on this thread :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will these suffice? I am looking at these setups.  Which is better?

Lenovo Legion Pro 5i Gen9 - Gaming Laptop, 16" WQXGA 240Hz Display, Intel 24-Core i9-14900HX, RTX 4070, 64GB DDR5,4TB SSD, Backlit KB, Wi-Fi 6E, Windows 11 Pro,

HP Omen Newest High-Performance i9 Gaming Laptop, 17.3" QHD 165Hz Display, Intel Core i9-13900HX, GeForce RTX 4080, 64GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB PCIe SSD, Webcam, RGB Backlit KB, Wi-Fi 6E, Windows 11 Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DH7777 said:

My current GTX 1660Ti graphics is now being laughed at by x15 LOL!.....But when I open x15 on my laptop it looks horrible.

 

The GTX 1660Ti  does not support the current Version of PBR in Chief, you need an NVIDIA RTX based card , so a 2000.3000, or 4000 Series..... though these days you should not settle for less that a 4070 in a Laptop as all laptop GPUs run slower than similarly numbered Desktop models due to power and heat constraints of laptops, if fact I'd go as far as saying do you really need a Laptop? as usually you budget will go further with a desktop and be better of graphics wise.

 

As you can see in my Sig. I have the Gen 8 Pro 7i 4070 version of the Lenovo in your other post, from last year and am happy with it so far, though I still prefer my desktop for it 4080 Super GPU. Lenovo's 4080 and 4090 Laptops tend to be a bit on the expensive side but I believe their Black Friday in July Sale starts this weekend as do Prime Days. 

 

M.

 

 

   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

 

The GTX 1660Ti  does not support the current Version of PBR in Chief, you need an NVIDIA RTX based card , so a 2000.3000, or 4000 Series..... though these days you should not settle for less that a 4070 in a Laptop as all laptop GPUs run slower than similarly numbered Desktop models due to power and heat constraints of laptops, if fact I'd go as far as saying do you really need a Laptop? as usually you budget will go further with a desktop and be better of graphics wise.

 

As you can see in my Sig. I have the Gen 8 Pro 7i 4070 version of the Lenovo in your other post, from last year and am happy with it so far, though I still prefer my desktop for it 4080 Super GPU. Lenovo's 4080 and 4090 Laptops tend to be a bit on the expensive side but I believe their Black Friday in July Sale starts this weekend as do Prime Days. 

 

M.

 

 

   

Thanks for your advice. I need a laptop though do to travel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DH7777 said:

Thanks for your advice. I need a laptop though do to travel. 

Yes, that's why i have one too, but my main use case is in the Office, where i also have a triple monitor setup. I have just talked to many people who don't really need a laptop, and budget wise they can get a better desktop for the same money or less.

 

M.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention that if looking at the Lenovo's if you aren't already a Pro Member (Businesses) on Lenovo it is worth signing up before purchase for the offered discount and 2 week longer return period. (45 instead of 30 days) , you will also get Reward Points foe me it was enough for a Laptop bag and and extra 65w GaN Charger.

 

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For CPU-heavy tasks like RayTracing and PBR, you'll want a powerful processor and high-end GPU. For a solid build, consider an Intel i9 or AMD Ryzen 9 CPU, and an Nvidia RTX 4080 or better GPU. At least 32GB of RAM is essential, but 64GB is even better, along with a 1TB NVMe SSD for speed and space. A basic budget build might include a Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 3060, 16GB RAM, and a 512GB NVMe SSD. A perfectly fine build could have an Intel i7-12700K, RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, and a 1TB NVMe SSD. For a "money no object" build, go for a Ryzen 9 7950X or Intel i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB RAM, and a 2TB NVMe SSD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2024 at 3:52 PM, DH7777 said:

Will these suffice? I am looking at these setups.  Which is better?

Lenovo Legion Pro 5i Gen9 - Gaming Laptop, 16" WQXGA 240Hz Display, Intel 24-Core i9-14900HX, RTX 4070, 64GB DDR5,4TB SSD, Backlit KB, Wi-Fi 6E, Windows 11 Pro,

HP Omen Newest High-Performance i9 Gaming Laptop, 17.3" QHD 165Hz Display, Intel Core i9-13900HX, GeForce RTX 4080, 64GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB PCIe SSD, Webcam, RGB Backlit KB, Wi-Fi 6E, Windows 11 Pro

The HP with the 4080 would be the better choice for PBR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the input. I've decided to get a 4090 for my desktop and juice it up, and for a laptop, get one that has the minimum to run Chief, figuring I will use the desktop for rendering, not the laptop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at this option from Costco. Any thoughts on this?

 

 
1826070-847__1?auto=webp&format=jpg&
1826070-847__2?auto=webp&format=jpg&
1826070-847__3?auto=webp&format=jpg&
1826070-847__4?auto=webp&format=jpg&
1826070-847__5?auto=webp&format=jpg&
1826070-847__6?auto=webp&format=jpg&
1826070-847__7?auto=webp&format=jpg&
1826070-847__8?auto=webp&format=jpg&
Next
 

MSI Raider 18 HX 18" Gaming Laptop - 14th Gen Intel Core i9-14900HX - GeForce RTX 4080 - QHD+ (2560 X 1600) 240 Hz - Windows 11

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share