Cabinet Labels- User Defined Macro

MarkMc

Go to solution Solved by MarkMc,

Somehow I managed to find this in a plan recently- a set of user defined macros to use for labels. I have no idea how I found it but if I open a new plan the option is not there-the category is not in the "specify label/insert" listing.

How do I get it to be there?

post-85-0-61501700-1425492433_thumb.png

post-85-0-88911800-1425492449_thumb.png

• Solution

Never mind, think I know but correct me if I'm wrong. This is new in X7? and the default template for my "new plans" was made in X6 or earlier? Guess it's time to make some new ones.

Mark, you can just copy your default Plan Template from X6 to X7.  The other option is to export Layersets, Annotation Sets, Macros, etc from X6 and then import them into your X7 Default Template. 

Note:  Plan macros are not the same as Layout Templates so you need to do the same thing for the Default Layout Template.

I did copy it over. When I open it there is no option for user defined, when I open the profile plan that loaded with X7 it is there. I can't find a setting for it. I'll see what it does after I import defaults and annosets from the old ones into the new profile plan. I don't understand what is going on but at least have a way out.

Somehow I managed to find this in a plan recently- a set of user defined macros to use for labels. I have no idea how I found it but if I open a new plan the option is not there-the category is not in the "specify label/insert" listing.

How do I get it to be there?

Those macro's come with the program, other than that you must make them or get some from a friend.

Thanks,I get it Perry. I just discovered them last week. Then today I opened a new plan based on one of my templates and they were not there- tried several others and not there. Then discovered that they are in the current profile plan.

So now I took those and added to my existing templates. It's a start-the ones that show to nearest 1/16th serves a purpose for me right now. Guess I have to go learn a bit more (Ruby?) to see what else I can have them do.

Ruby just saves you time and I'm all for it, I have a lot of macro's I got from friends here plus I use ruby for most of my text notes on the plan, you know like the text you have on every plan you do. It's real simple to create text macro's. You just type or copy it in to Ruby, save the macro, and forget it. The good thing is that when you make a change to a text macro, it changes every instance you use it on the plan. I'm shocked more people don't go nuts over this.

I recently noticed some of your comments on this and was intrigued. Intend to go back over those posts and see what I can use in general.

Besides notes (which does look exciting to me!! ) I'm looking for something to use with cabinet labels.

For instance if I edit a cabinet from the library to have 3 drawers the label changes to 3DBxx. If I use specify label and uses automatic label then add in width and depth I get 3DBxx xx yy. Ass in the option for sixteenths so I know what is going on in the drawing and it gets messy.

I'm looking for a way I can match it to a cabinet mfgs nomenclature a little more automatically. There is an endless supply of nomenclature from the mfgs. One brand calls a 4DB a 4DB, another just a DB; both call a 3DB a 3DB. Wall cabinets- Chief uses w3030- one mfg uses W3030B if there is no center stile, another 2W3030 and then for inset they use ins.2w3030... to name a few. With 5 brands it makes for an endless supply of cabinets added to the library. I'm hoping that there is something easier. I don't expect it will ever eliminate needing to add to the library but perhaps something will help. It may be a fools errand but will see.