How Would You Model This Corner Awning?

HumbleChief

Go to solution Solved by dshall,

Why not just use two 'rounded" awnings.   "core cat" (ext attachments>awnings> rounded.

When you accurate move them they line up great.   Even look good underneath.   Just have two lines at corner in vector view only.

You can even stretch them on X axis to look more like that profile

post-3615-0-98447000-1425311785_thumb.jpg

Why not just use two 'rounded" awnings.   "core cat" (ext attachments>awnings> rounded.

When you accurate move them they line up great.   Even look good underneath.   Just have two lines at corner in vector view only.

You can even stretch them on X axis to look more like that profile

That should work

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I ended up using a molding P-line. So easy but sometimes it's hard to see all the options through only one brain.

attachicon.gifAWNING 2.jpg

Now here is the question,  is the molding on the  outside edge or inside edge.  Without thinking I would put it on inside edge,  but if you think about it,  the outside edge makes more sense because then you should be able to GET THE RETURNS....... same thinking as if building a mantel with the returns to face of fireplace wall.

I think I would do this with a PSolid (drawn in Elevation so it could be extruded lengthwise) converted into a Solid, Then use some Boolean operations to form the miter - explode the Shape and delete unwanted faces.  Then I would convert it to an Exterior Fixture.

It's a bit more work but with the proper Stretch Planes it could be used for similar situations in the future.

Now here is the question,  is the molding on the  outside edge or inside edge.  Without thinking I would put it on inside edge,  but if you think about it,  the outside edge makes more sense because then you should be able to GET THE RETURNS....... same thinking as if building a mantel with the returns to face of fireplace wall.

Outside edge. Return worked perfectly. Just what the doctor ordered. thanks

I think I would do this with a PSolid (drawn in Elevation so it could be extruded lengthwise) converted into a Solid, Then use some Boolean operations to form the miter - explode the Shape and delete unwanted faces.  Then I would convert it to an Exterior Fixture.

It's a bit more work but with the proper Stretch Planes it could be used for similar situations in the future.

Joe, you might be over thinking this one. Just create a new molding profile to match the shape of the awning (which can be used for similar situations in the future) then draw a simple 2 line molding p-line, extrude to outside. Cake. 

As a matter of fact if I ever have to create an awning again I'll use this same method. It's way better and more versatile than Chief's existing symbol(s). BUT you don't get a return on the end so you'd have to create a p-line in elevation to close the ends. Hmmm... Is that what you were working to solve Joe?

P-line works or 2 D Molding like Scott said, but if you want to add more detail and you want to show view from bellow you can whip that in Sketchup in no time something like this... But I just messed up and closed Sketchup without saving it to create a symbol (cursing), but if anyone needs the details I can whip one up real quick it only takes a few minutes 

Here is a few images with more detail 

post-4069-0-22908700-1425320049_thumb.jpg

post-4069-0-93301500-1425320056_thumb.jpg

P-line works or 2 D Molding like Scott said, but if you want to add more detail and you want to show view from bellow you can whip that in Sketchup in no time something like this... But I just messed up and closed Sketchup without saving it to create a symbol (cursing), but if anyone needs the details I can whip one up real quick it only takes a few minutes 

Sweet

As a matter of fact if I ever have to create an awning again I'll use this same method. It's way better and more versatile than Chief's existing symbol(s). BUT you don't get a return on the end so you'd have to create a p-line in elevation to close the ends. Hmmm... Is that what you were working to solve Joe?

Exactly - but I like what Greg did too.

I do like what Greg did,  more detail.  I must admit I am very ignorant when it comes to using Sketchup.  I suppose if it was my world and all you guys lived in it,  I wish I could do in CA what Greg did in SU.

Unfortunately it is not my world....  nor is it your world...  but my wife's world and I have learned to live in it,  and it ain't half bad.

You can also use conventional round roofs and adjust framing to get neat results.  (this was all automatic framing). I did not take time to draw clg joists but it would represent frame of awning.

I rendered it semi-transparent material on top

post-3615-0-69075500-1425324890_thumb.jpg

You can also use conventional round roofs and adjust framing to get neat results.  (this was all automatic framing). I did not take time to draw clg joists but it would represent frame of awning.

Another pretty cool solution - one that would work great for "green-house roof's", particularly in a shed attached to exterior walls.

I agree with you Scott, but no matter how you look at it, doing something in CA is bit more complicated and more time consuming in comparison to other 3D modeling programs like sketchup, etc which are intended for modeling. CA is intended for drafting, plan prep, layout, etc... Cad which is there is good to whip something quick on the fly, anything that needs more detail etc, can be done but you will spend allot of time doing it.  

Took under 10 seconds to create that awning and another few minutes to play with the detail depending how far you wanna take this. 

With that said you can make a shell (one corner and one straight awning) and import as 2 separate symbols into CA, you can also import as a symbol the inside support pieces (only one needed)  to make the inside details and assemble it in CA which is a snap, this way  everything can be re-sized and you can apply different material to all of the components which can be done in CA in seconds also.

Frankly speaking, everything you see in the 3D library, was made someplace else (Sketchup or some other 3D modeling program) because its faster, results and quality are much better (on some models).

Here is a library ladder I needed for a project, I imported all the pieces into CA and assembled them in CA which was very quick (1-2 min), I just did that so you can apply different material to wheels, screws, brackets, wood etc.

Library Ladder.calibz

post-4069-0-23736000-1425326901_thumb.jpg

Nice Justin. Was that done in Chief? I tried with round roofs but couldn't figure it out. If you could share how you did it, maybe a picture of a dbx? That would very helpful. Thanks