Auto Correct "Connect Walls" bubble

CJRLLLC

I just downloaded chief 6 and am drawing a home with circular rooms, some of the walls don't connect and I an getting this grey circle over the point a the "connect walls" hot key next to my crosshair.  How do I get rid of this?

Thanks Kenoeightspot, another tidbit I didn't know existed in the Preferences dbx....

Dang these new handles, OK Guys, Gals, how about adding a signature so I'll know your real name... What version of CA you are using and your computer specs....  very helpful in constructing meaningful replies.....

I just downloaded chief 6 and am drawing a home with circular rooms, some of the walls don't connect and I an getting this grey circle over the point a the "connect walls" hot key next to my crosshair.  How do I get rid of this?

Fix it!!!

• Upvote 2

i can't just "Fix it"!! this home has circular rooms with tangent walls meeting at the door ways. I can't seem to connect the walls and then place a door at the connection point so the program i identifying them as unconnected when they are really just ending into the Circle.  I have been using chief since version 1 and have never run into this.  I have fudge the drawing and it won't render right. Any suggestions?

post-745-0-84666000-1395249592_thumb.jpg

i can't just "Fix it"!! this home has circular rooms with tangent walls meeting at the door ways. I can't seem to connect the walls and then place a door at the connection point so the program i identifying them as unconnected when they are really just ending into the Circle.  I have been using chief since version 1 and have never run into this.  I have fudge the drawing and it won't render right. Any suggestions?

attachicon.gifDoor Help.jpg

If you ever get it resolved  please share with the rest of us.  Those circular rooms are a bear to deal with.

Interesting little problem. Here is what I was able to come up with.

The walls have to "flatten out" for there to be enough room to fit a  

door. I used a 48" wide double door and a 30" wide single door.

post-126-0-75204300-1395263962_thumb.png

post-126-0-45012800-1395263980_thumb.png

"Interesting little problem. Here is what I was able to come up with.

The walls have to "flatten out" for there to be enough room to fit a  

door. I used a 48" wide double door and a 30" wide single door"

Ok very cool, how did you make the circular wall join the flat wall?

The difficulty with this problem is that this is an "as-Built" of a 100 year old  Fiske Kimball home, so the walls join "sort of" like I show them. I wish i could taper the wall ends, I tried the new tool but it didn't work, any ideas? If Fisk had Chief this would be a lot easier...I also wonder if the builder had issues with his layout.

This would be better served by a video but since I don't do videos I'll take a stab at explaining the process.

1) Draw the circular room with the curved exterior wall tool and place a straight exterior wall just outside the circle. (thumbnail #1)

2) Select the straight wall and move it just inside the curved wall so that there is enough space to accommodate the door width. (tn #2)

3) Place the door in the straight wall. (tn #3)

4) Use the break wall tool to put a break in the curved wall on either side of the door opening. (tn #4)

5) Delete the curved portion of the wall in the doorway. (tn #5).

6) Select the straight wall, click on the "Connect Walls" tool and then click on the curved wall. The walls will merge. (tn #6)

7) Finally you can select the straight wall and drag it out closer to the edge of the curved wall. (tn #7)

And that in a nutshell is how I did it. Of course this is just a proof of concept approach.

To recreate all this to exact existing dimensions will probably pose additional problems.

I wish you luck.

post-126-0-06075100-1395295751_thumb.png

post-126-0-34478600-1395295996_thumb.png

post-126-0-79355700-1395296011_thumb.png

post-126-0-08746300-1395296116_thumb.png

post-126-0-54827000-1395296196_thumb.png

post-126-0-72422200-1395296390_thumb.png

post-126-0-89527000-1395296536_thumb.png

The connection still looks bad, if you use the wall layer connection tool that I said to use, it will clean that up

Not sure if you are responding to what I did.  If you are,  I am still not sure how to do it.  Quick Vid?

Thanks for the vids Scott. Someday I'm gonna have to figure

out how to do that but I have enough on my plate for now.

Here is the elusive tool I used in step #6 above.  

Rich,  I  could not get it to work,  the curved wall did not merge with straight wall.  The only way to do this for me was to break the straight wall at each side of door opening.

Rich,  I  could not get it to work,  the curved wall did not merge with straight wall.  The only way to do this for me was to break the straight wall at each side of door opening.

Dang it Scott, now you have me wondering if I can recreate the solution. :unsure:

Just so I know I'm not going crazy I did it over again. This time I placed the

door in the straight wall before I moved it into the circular room just because

it makes it easier to tell how far in to move the straight wall. Some steps had

slight variations from my first attempt but the end result was the same.

post-126-0-28532900-1395471829_thumb.png

post-126-0-08717000-1395471845_thumb.png

post-126-0-40146600-1395471861_thumb.png

post-126-0-90213300-1395471875_thumb.png

post-126-0-59136900-1395471891_thumb.png

post-126-0-01406500-1395471909_thumb.png

post-126-0-51762300-1395471924_thumb.png

post-126-0-01745800-1395471939_thumb.png

Dang it Scott, now you have me wondering if I can recreate the solution. :unsure:

Just so I know I'm not going crazy I did it over again. This time I placed the

door in the straight wall before I moved it into the circular room just because

it makes it easier to tell how far in to move the straight wall. Some steps had

slight variations from my first attempt but the end result was the same.

Thanks Rich,  now I can do it your way,  my way and  with a  coffee cup in my hand listening to the news.  I don't know what was so hard abut it.  BTW,  I never had to use the wall connection tool,  the walls auto fixed themselves.   

But,  but,  this is what I can't do......  have the curved wall on a tangent to a wall looking "clean".

post-50-0-35733800-1395493813_thumb.png

Thanks Rich,  now I can do it your way,  my way and  with a  coffee cup in my hand listening to the news.  I don't know what was so hard abut it.  BTW,  I never had to use the wall connection tool,  the walls auto fixed themselves.   

But,  but,  this is what I can't do......  have the curved wall on a tangent to a wall looking "clean".

My Chief Architect rig is up on jackstands right now so I can't test it out but I have a theory about the walls autofixing themselves. If the doorway is centered in the walls using the "Center Object" tool the walls will auto-connect properly, but if the door is not exactly centered then one side or the other may require some massaging with the "Connect Walls" tool. In the most recent attempt when I put the door in the straight wall segment and then moved that segment into the circular room I just eyeballed it. As a result both sides did not display the same way which resulted in the need for the "Connect Walls" correction. At least that's my theory.

Never really took a stab at merging the curved and straight walls without a doorway involved as that wasn't a condition the OP was interested in. Maybe I'll give it a try when I have my CA rig up and running again.

• 1 month later...

correct the wall connection or uncheck "circle unconnected wall ends"

Hello,

I have Chief X5 and my preferences dbx does not have a check box for this. Do you know how else to get rid of an unconnected walls circle?

Thanks