Missing Files

Evolution

Go to solution Solved by Doug_Park,

I am at the point of exhaustion, to bed at 3:10 back up at 7:30 now trying to figure out what happened to all the work I did last night/early am?????

I followed the help link on the error link, but it doesn't work the way the help says it will.

Thankfully, I went to the saved layout files, right clicked open and they were still there (but) I am SCARED to death with I do a complete back up, and/or pdf / print to file to send to the client and his disciplines to review (he has a meeting with the contractor and wants all I have ready).

When I opened the help and tried to do as directed clicked on the ok and the dialogue just closes, it does not allow me to search for the missing files.

Since I DID find the missing layout files, is there a way to save a back up of the saved (working) layouts????? or is that just another waste of time?

post-1662-0-48312100-1425051918_thumb.png

Layout files missing again. I had them at the office, worked in/on them most of the day updating. Saved them to OUR company FTP site thinking this would help me when working form home. So, I get home, go to the FTP site, download the const docs, ALL AOK! Then I down load the layout files. HM, said down load complete.

I opened my plan, when to open layout file, selected the folder the layout files are in, then get a message about this instance of sketch up pro is not licensed. WHAT????

post-1662-0-42966000-1425513299_thumb.png

post-1662-0-78047700-1425513338_thumb.png

Jon is right Sketchup Pro was installed after Chief and has over written the file associations,  have a look at this KB article Bob

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01131/

you could also try this

Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features>scroll down to Chief X7 , select it with a Right Click and Choose Repair , this should update Chief install as if it was a new install , and you should be asked to re-associate .layouts with Chief. ( as well as anything else needed)

You need to reset the *.layout filetype association at the OS level to get rid of the Sketchup error.  Did you try opening the *.layout file from within CA instead of clicking the file? 

jon

Jon, I chose open layout, selected the file/clicked on open, and I get a message it can't be opened. Then when I attempt the double click I get the sketch up message.

Jon is right Sketchup Pro was installed after Chief and has over written the file associations,  have a look at this KB article Bob

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01131/

you could also try this

Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features>scroll down to Chief X7 , select it with a Right Click and Choose Repair , this should update Chief install as if it was a new install , and you should be asked to re-associate .layouts with Chief. ( as well as anything else needed)

Mick, I DID DO the repair. Opened my latest update of the construction plans, then open layout. It took some trying over and over (not sure why) to open layout files (see the clips) finally was able to open the last updated layouts (the only ones that would even open) but I don't believe they are actually associated to the (latest updated) plan files I am working on that I downloaded from OUR FTP site. (I HAVE BEEN SAVING LAYOUT FILES WITH THE PLAN FILE in the same folder each time)

Reason being, I experimented by deleting some info on the plan, but the layout file for that detail did not update. Also, the updates I made to the plan/layout's earlier this week (at the office) are missing from these layout sheets. Is there anyway to link these layout files (now) to the current updated plan files without starting over?

JUST ASKING.

I am stuck at home today (iced in) so if this doesn't work HOPEFULLY when I AM ABLE to get back into work, the original layout files will be on the office server. MY QUESTION THEN WILL BE..(to anyone)..after I upload the latest updated plan files to the office server, and open it/and the layout files; shouldn't they/will they auto-update each to the other?

MY DROP DEAD DATE to get the complete docs out the door is NEXT FRIDAY!

ALSO, if there IS A WAY to link these today, HOW can I ENSURE all the latest greatest plan and layout files make it back to the office with me. SEEMS everything I've done previously to save/upload/download either through our office FTP, Drop Box, etc., hasn't completely worked.

post-1662-0-79952500-1425651910_thumb.png

post-1662-0-70941500-1425651922_thumb.png

post-1662-0-00513200-1425651934_thumb.png

post-1662-0-28461600-1425651953_thumb.png

Unless your file path is exactly the same at work and home you will have to relink them to the layout when opening on a different computer.

For example this my file path at work:

C:\Users\kmoquin\Dropbox\KMA\Projects\Standard Details

but at home it looks like this:

C:\Users\K\Dropbox\KMA\Projects\Standard Details

One small difference, but an entirely different address as far as the computer is concerned.

THANKS Kevin. That's all COMPUTER GREEK to me. All I know is, at home I go either drop box (account that I newly created) or our COMPANY FTP site where I had previously uploaded plan and layout files.<br />SO THAT's probably the main cause of my HEART ACHES!<br />NOT SURE how to re-link them correctly I guess?

Bob,

You relink them through the "Referenced Plan Files" dialog box that pops up when you open the layout or accessed via the menu Tools > layout > Referenced Plan Files

All that computer greek is essentially an address. What you are experiencing is akin to mailing a letter to your neighbor and asking why it has not arrived at your office.

Unless your file path is exactly the same at work and home you will have to relink them to the layout when opening on a different computer.

For example this my file path at work:

C:\Users\kmoquin\Dropbox\KMA\Projects\Standard Details

but at home it looks like this:

C:\Users\K\Dropbox\KMA\Projects\Standard Details

One small difference, but an entirely different address as far as the computer is concerned.

This is so correct. Just went through this with a girl that works with Louis. I was making changes in the drop box and she was not seeing them and was getting errors when she opened the layout. I had to go there and watch what she was doing and this is how I found the problem. She was changing the path on how she was accessing the plan and layout. Once I showed her that she can't do it that way, there was no longer any problems. She had created a shortcut to access the file. In doing this, she had changed the path of the plan and to the layout. 

Put your layout files in the same folder as your plan.

Or put your plans in a folder that is in the same folder as your layout.

There is a search order that starts in the same folder as your layout and then starts looking in sub folders for associated plan files. Failing to find your plan in the same folder or a sub folder it will fall back to looking at the full path.

kMoquin, on 06 Mar 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

Bob,

You relink them through the "Referenced Plan Files" dialog box that pops up when you open the layout or accessed via the menu Tools > layout > Referenced Plan Files

All that computer greek is essentially an address. What you are experiencing is akin to mailing a letter to your neighbor and asking why it has not arrived at your office.

Kevin,I was finally able to get back into our FTP site (administrator changed password and didn't tell me). Downloaded plan and layout files again, checking open in lieu of saving as. I have everything linked (in the same plan/file) and opened and it appears changes I make on the plan update to the layout sheet, on this machine.

I need to revise the sections per direction from the client who now wants all the ceiling heights the same basic heights in lieu of lower in closets, small rooms etc., higher in the main living areas.

Since I can't change them on the layout sheets, how do I go about changing them without doing the elev camera section again and re-detailing etc?

Also,when I finish with the updates today, WHAT's the best PLAN OF ATTACK to be sure I don't have this issue when I am back at work on my office work station?

I plan to do both: Upload the updated and saved plans/layouts to our FTP and Also to my Drop Box. It seems the past operations I have been doing have not worked successfully thus ALL THESE PROBLEMS.

I had also thought I would zip both the plan and layout files and email them to myself? Surely one of these operations would work?

Doug_Park, on 06 Mar 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

Put your layout files in the same folder as your plan.

Or put your plans in a folder that is in the same folder as your layout.

There is a search order that starts in the same folder as your layout and then starts looking in sub folders for associated plan files. Failing to find your plan in the same folder or a sub folder it will fall back to looking at the full path.

Thanks Doug. See my post to Kevin. I DO THINK I have them in the same folder now.

• Solution

Good. That should work. It would probably be good to do a bit practice going back and forth until you are confident that it is working for you. When you find what works well for you stick with what works. Sorry that you got caught by some of the less than obvious things in using Chief.

Double check you have the Layout Window as your main window (or only window) in Chief before you do a "Backup Plan + All Referenced Files" , not the Plan ( or 3D view) Window and see if that works..... then put/copy the Backup folder onto OneDrive or Dropbox or similar.

If you do the backup from the plan window it will NOT save the Layout even with the "Backup Plan + All Referenced Files" option checked .....not sure if that is a bug or not ?  but easy for someone to think that ALL FILES would be backed up no matter which window is open from the DBX checkbox options.

M.